House Build 2023

/ House Build 2023
House painters around here charge by the square foot including cabinets.

/ House Build 2023 #242  
I've never known of custom cabinets being delivered finished. I'm sure there are some that are but it's not expected around here.
It's not like I buy a lot of custom cabinets to have tons of experience, but I just can't imagine trying to finish them in an under-construction house. Keeping the dust off of them while wet would be a nightmare. Not to mention that you can't finish the sides when they've already been set in place next to others (not for looks, but to seal the wood). Plus, I'd imagine custom cabinet makers have a great air system for spraying the finish on and that type of thing isn't real portable. Just surprised.

/ House Build 2023
When it's painting time the house is not really under construction. The only thing left to do will be flooring, that way the floors don't have to be covered and risk getting paint on them.

At this point the only reason it looks like a house under construction right now is because the big vault in the great room is still open. That is going to be tongue and groove pine. It is still being milled and the trim guys will install it when it delivers. Then the attic insulation can be added. Trim is in process right now. Once that is done I'll have the master shower to tile, paint, countertops, plumbing fixtures installed, electric trimmed out, flooring installed, driveway and sidewalk poured. I think that's it before I can move in.

/ House Build 2023
Oh, Timothy turkey said to tell you guys hi.

20231112_074622.jpg

/ House Build 2023 #245  
I guess it's done differently in different parts of the country, but I've never heard of custom cabinets being finished anywhere else besides the house, after they are installed. Cabinet shop makes and installs the cabinets. Once they are installed, they walk away and don't have anything else to do with the.

Trim carpenters do all the trim work. Once they are done, they walk away and don't have anything to do with the trim.

When everything is done, the painters show up. They do all the sanding, all the hole filling, all the caulking. They tape and put plastic up. And then they start spraying. Enamel for doors, trim and cabinets, latex for walls. When they are there, nobody else is inside the house.

The kitchen is just one room with cabinets. On a lot of jobs, the bathroom and laundry room has cabinets that get painted too, along with built in cabinets in the Living Room. It just doesn't make any sense to paint or stain cabinets somewhere else and then bring them to the house to install them, and then paint everything else in the house that needs painting.

Who installs the cabinets if they are painted before arriving at the house? Does the cabinet maker paint them? Deliver them? and then install them? And then do all the touch up after they are installed? Fill holes, caulk and paint again?

Pre finished cabinets come from the companies that make them in a factory and then put the cabinet in an oven and bake on the finish. It's much better, stronger finish then what a painter can provide inside the house. Pre made cabinets are usually cheaper then custom cabinets because the cost to finish those cabinets is so much higher.

/ House Build 2023 #249  
Here in N.Georgia walls are painted flooring installed and then the finished cabinets are installed

It's crazy to me that construction varys so widely based on geography. You'd think that there's a functional reason for doing things a certain way that would transcend regions!

/ House Build 2023 #250  
It's rare to install flooring before cabinets. Flooring is usually the very last thing done. Painters hate to have to cover up all the flooring, and risk getting paint on it. Flooring rarely goes under cabinets, you usually set the cabinets and then tile up to them. Trim guys install baseboards half an inch off of the subfloor so you can slide the flooring under the trim. Painters can paint the trim in seconds this way. If there was flooring in place, they would have to tape it before spraying it. Trim is always sprayed, even if it's stained, the clear finish is sprayed over the stain.

I think that when a contractor installs cabinets after painting and flooring, they are doing so for some other reason. Probably timing in getting those cabinets painted somewhere. I've never heard of a cabinet shop that does painting, but I'm sure it's possible that it happens somewhere. More then likely, they are sending them somewhere to get painted, and that delay is forcing the other trades to keep going to get the job done and then dealing with the extra work and expense to install the cabinets later on.