Hours charged for tractor work

/ Hours charged for tractor work #81  
Remember your machine is slowi
ly wearing out while using it so you need to charge enough to replace the machine in the future. That's one of many thing is learned from reading a book about the business of pipe laying. I don't do the same work as the book was about but it had alot of good stuff about bidding/billing that was helpful.

When doing work for homeowners, I and they liked jobs bidded complete not hour. No one cares what you charge per/hr just what it the total cost will be to get the finished.

So glad I don't mess with homeowners anymore!

/ Hours charged for tractor work #82  
Those jobs are why I stay as busy as I want.

I am a ONE MAN show. And I want to keep it that way. Dont want to deal with employees and the hassle that goes with it.

The guys that have big equipment, dozen employees, several trucks and trailers, etc etc etc dont want to fool around with the little customers for the $1000-$1500/day jobs. Leveling for swimming pools or small garages, utility trench to a new barn that takes a few hours at most, culvert replacements, making a parking pad or turn around, etc etc. There is a place for the small contractors to keep busy and make good money by filling the void of stuff that is a little more than the average homeowner wants to tackle on their own....but not big enough to entice the big boys to show up without charging a small fortune.
Yep to each his own. When I got away from hourly jobs I just went big enough that I could alway be working with my crew. After that size range the owner takes himself out of production and there is a gap before the same profit level is obtained. Efficiency goes down and cost goes up. More waste and more headaches with a bunch of guys. Today I have a passive business no employees and the money keeps flowing without my presence.

/ Hours charged for tractor work #83  
I figure in my equipment loading, hauling, and travel time, (that includes truck and labor), both ways. Then I figure estimated equipment time on the ground working including my labor. I tell them I have estimated X amount of time on the ground working, tractor work included and give them an estimate stating that if I run over the time estimate it will it will be added at $/ hour.
And if you come in under hours do you give them a discount?

You're either flat rate or you aren't. You're either hourly or you aren't.

(With exceptions like I mentioned earlier like a rock clause).

But you can't bid a job at a flat rate....then go over and tack more on....without equally discounting if you come in under. IE....can't have your cake and eat it to.

You are basically bidding hourly but with a minimum. And you have no incentive to work quickly and efficiently

/ Hours charged for tractor work #84  
Business models vary; but probably the most similar operation to owner-operator tractor work is probably lawn care. I can tell you a lot of guys think they are making a dang good living, until stuff wears out. That's not a negative to the work, just something you have to account for. Now, sure, there are guys doing work for $35/hr; but if your not losing 33% of the work you go after, you need to increase your rates.

So; question for you guys; who-what owns the tractor? You or the company? Do you own it, and then rent it out to the company? Do you have problems depreciating it out if it's a personal item, and used for personal use too? Do you just 'hire' your own company to do your personal work? Or are we not writing anything off?

Cleanest would be truck, trailer, and tractor owned by company, and keep personal seperate; but you won't want the over head.

Workers Comp; you can exempt yourself; but I've always heard you shouldn't. That workers comp for certain trades are very cheap, and cover any injuries. Also; how does your works comp deal with on/off job. That part can get weird for employees who drive a company truck home; was that commute time vs on job time.

/ Hours charged for tractor work #85  
Business models vary; but probably the most similar operation to owner-operator tractor work is probably lawn care. I can tell you a lot of guys think they are making a dang good living, until stuff wears out. That's not a negative to the work, just something you have to account for. Now, sure, there are guys doing work for $35/hr; but if your not losing 33% of the work you go after, you need to increase your rates.

So; question for you guys; who-what owns the tractor? You or the company? Do you own it, and then rent it out to the company? Do you have problems depreciating it out if it's a personal item, and used for personal use too? Do you just 'hire' your own company to do your personal work? Or are we not writing anything off?

Cleanest would be truck, trailer, and tractor owned by company, and keep personal seperate; but you won't want the over head.

Workers Comp; you can exempt yourself; but I've always heard you shouldn't. That workers comp for certain trades are very cheap, and cover any injuries. Also; how does your works comp deal with on/off job. That part can get weird for employees who drive a company truck home; was that commute time vs on job time.
In my state the owner can’t be covered by workmen’s compensation.

/ Hours charged for tractor work #86  
Hmm, I didn't know that, I knew, at one point, they could exempt themselves, and upto 3? employees, except for construction workere, (only owner), at the time. Laws change, and people misspeak, or heck, misunderstand, then spread that information, so I very well could be wrong.

Edit:

It reads like you cant; but I believe it says exempt officers can Not; but you actively apply to be exempt... so, if you didn't apply to be exempt, then you could be covered?

/ Hours charged for tractor work #87  
They told me the reason was they had no control over the record keeping of the owners hours and different trades he may do. Like roofing is 80% last time was involved.

/ Hours charged for tractor work #88  
Same here, but I still have to insure myself to work for other big companies!

/ Hours charged for tractor work #89  
Same here, but I still have to insure myself to work for other big companies!
You mean liability? Comp would be as their employee? At least it would be here. Comp is just mostly a lawyer scam.

/ Hours charged for tractor work #90  
You mean liability? Comp would be as their employee? At least it would be here. Comp is just mostly a lawyer scam.
No I have to have 1million workman's comp on myself even though I can't use it. They make me have it so I can't make a claim on their workman comp. Then any subcontractors I have have to have to prove to me they have it for when my workman comp insurance provider does an audit on me.