Hour meter

/ Hour meter #1  

clamb

Tractor
MT250D
They should make the hour meters live, only while the engine is running.

I only recently purchased a new Cub Cadet Z Force SX54.

I was cutting grass, and came to an obstacle laying on ground, so tried to reach over, and throw it out if the way.

Leaning off the seat, shut the engine off, so I figured I might as well walk the rest of the area, and look for other tree branches.

Cleaned the area for a couple hours, and came vack to continue cutting, realizing key had been left on for the entire time.

Lesson learned I guess.

I think my father done this too, with his mower. And left the key on for a week or so.

It shouldn't be hard to tie them in to the ignition system, so they only track engine run time.

My easy fix was to disable the safety switch on the seat, at least I know when I get off, the engine is still running, and I won't walk away too far counting down hours.

Last edited:
   / Hour meter #2  
Most commercial zero turns (my Ferris for example) the hour meter is connected thru the PTO switch so the hour meter clocks mowing or engaged time not engine run time.

Check your wiring diagram and see if the CC is the same or maybe you can just connect it to the PTO switch and achieve the same result.

/ Hour meter #3  
On my GC 1715 its mechanical off the tachometer drive.... Engine running, hours registered..Engine off, no hours registered... On my JD mowers never payed much attention to hour meters...

/ Hour meter #4  
There are some hour meters on Amazon that are apparently triggered by pulses from the ignition wire. I guess they wouldn't register hours unless the engine was actually running?

/ Hour meter
The safety switch should really only be controlling the mower blade control.

If I wanted to get off midway through mowing the grass, I would like to lower the RPM's to an idle, and allow the engine to cool down for a minute or 2 before shutting off.

The seat bypass allows the mower to run, while walking away from the machine, if it was still engaged.

/ Hour meter #6  
This has been a very instructional thread. I'd never thought about how hour meters actually worked. Abviously early ones, never had electronic clocks in them.

/ Hour meter #7  
They should make the hour meters live, only while the engine is running.

I only recently purchased a new Cub Cadet Z Force SX54.

I was cutting grass, and came to an obstacle laying on ground, so tried to reach over, and throw it out if the way.

Leaning off the seat, shut the engine off, so I figured I might as well walk the rest of the area, and look for other tree branches.

Cleaned the area for a couple hours, and came vack to continue cutting, realizing key had been left on for the entire time.

Lesson learned I guess.

I think my father done this too, with his mower. And left the key on for a week or so.

It shouldn't be hard to tie them in to the ignition system, so they only track engine run time.

My easy fix was to disable the safety switch on the seat, at least I know when I get off, the engine is still running, and I won't walk away too far counting down hours.
Hard to believe your Cub’s hour meter keeps going when the engine isn’t running

/ Hour meter #8  
I'm guessing when they thought of hour meters they didn't expect us to leave the key on for a week. I've done it. Result...dead battery. Most of us don't give much credence to hour meters.

/ Hour meter #10  
Sister in law left key on in our pontoon for a few days...72 extra hours recorded. Now we remove the key.