Hot water recirculating pump

/ Hot water recirculating pump #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
The master bedroom in my house is about 30 feet from the water heater. About 16 years ago I put a recirculating pump under the counter to avoid waiting for hot water from the faucet. The pump has a timer and a thermostatic shut off. It finally quit and I am looking for a replacement. There is no practical way to put a pump at the water heater tank--no 110v outlet. For our lifestyle a simple pump with a thermostatic shut off and an on/off switch is quite satisfactory.

The choices I have found range from a couple hundred dollars to 4 or 5 hundred. I am less concerned about price than long term reliability. Has anyone here any experience? TIA

/ Hot water recirculating pump #2  
I don't have one but a friend told me to look at the ones from chillipepper. I looked at the reviews on Amazon for them, not good. One of the reviews mentions Taco Genie. perhaps that is worth looking at..?

/ Hot water recirculating pump #3  
IMO, hard to beat grundfos.
That said, Menards has one that's probably plenty fine.

/ Hot water recirculating pump #4  
The master bedroom in my house is about 30 feet from the water heater. About 16 years ago I put a recirculating pump under the counter to avoid waiting for hot water from the faucet. The pump has a timer and a thermostatic shut off. It finally quit and I am looking for a replacement. There is no practical way to put a pump at the water heater tank--no 110v outlet. For our lifestyle a simple pump with a thermostatic shut off and an on/off switch is quite satisfactory.

The choices I have found range from a couple hundred dollars to 4 or 5 hundred. I am less concerned about price than long term reliability. Has anyone here any experience? TIA

Depending on your layout you might be able to rig up a convection loop and eliminate the pump altogether. The previous owner of my place had a pump plumbed in with a return loop, then the pump quit and he found out none was needed as convection alone was doing just fine without it.

/ Hot water recirculating pump
Thanks for the responses.

I looked at the Chillipepper unit. It is probably the least expensive one I found, but I doubt the long term reliability.

Grundfos is a respected name, but their only product that looks like it might work has poor reviews on Amazon and it is intended for use with a dedicated return line. That would require a major rework of my plumbing.

The unit that Menards has is a Laing. It looks like a possibility. Menards is offering it for less than anyone else I found. Amazon reviews give me some concerns regarding customer service and reliability, tho.

A convection loop would be great, but that would require the water heater to be installed at a lower level than the sinks and a dedicated return line. My place is a single level and the recirculating pump was added as an afterthought, so that won't work here.

The Taco Genie appears to be the most robust of those I have seen. Installation would be a bit more complex than the Laing, but it appears to be a better unit. The choices seem to be narrowed to the Taco Genie and the Laing at Menards.

Some of the reviews on Amazon mention problems with single handle faucets and recirculating pumps. All my faucets are single handle and everything seems to have worked well for 16 years. The brand of pump I have is apparently no longer available. I hope the new ones work as well.

/ Hot water recirculating pump #7  
I use Grundfos, have for years, today, I get them from supply house dot com. I also have their constant-flow well pump. It works great with low power cost also.

/ Hot water recirculating pump #8  
This Old House, shown on public television, had a pump that fit under the bathroom sink and was activated by hand using a 16 volt push button switch, just like a doorbell. The switch was mounted on the face frame of the cabinet and easy to reach but out of sight.

I have been unable to find a plumber that knows anything about this type of on-demand system.

Thanks. I looked at that site. They list a large selection on circulating pumps. I saw nothing that looked exactly like what I am looking for, but there are some possibilities that could be adapted for my use.

This Old House, shown on public television, had a pump that fit under the bathroom sink and was activated by hand using a 16 volt push button switch, just like a doorbell. The switch was mounted on the face frame of the cabinet and easy to reach but out of sight.

I have been unable to find a plumber that knows anything about this type of on-demand system.

The Taco Model # 006-CT-USK works as you describe. There is also a version that uses a remote control to operate the pump.