Hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer?

/ Hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? #1  

Tim Stuart

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi bd2h dozer, Gradall G3WD, New Holland TC35a, Chevy Dump Truck
I am need to do some road work on my driveway at my place and was thinking about trying to lay some asphalt on a steep hill I have to keep the gravel from washing. Has anybody hauled some hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? I am worried about the heat effecting the tires ,pealing the paint or possible melting the wiring harness . I need to haul about 50 tons over 5 days so its not a big rush.

Regards,

Tim

/ Hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? #2  
I am need to do some road work on my driveway at my place and was thinking about trying to lay some asphalt on a steep hill I have to keep the gravel from washing. Has anybody hauled some hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? I am worried about the heat effecting the tires ,pealing the paint or possible melting the wiring harness . I need to haul about 50 tons over 5 days so its not a big rush.

Regards,

Tim

I would not want the stuff in my trailer. Hire a dump truck to do the work.

Chris

/ Hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? #4  
Exactly what will the asphalt work involve?

Will you be spreading and levelling yourself?

Any packing required?

What about sub grade preparation?

If you want your money's worth there is more involved than just hauling and dumping asphalt. Consider a contractor with proper equipment??:)

/ Hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? #5  

Regards,

Tim

Its 300F so i doubt it would be able to transfer enough heat out to the tires to matter.
I probably would do a small batch for potholes and patching but if you need 50 tons that's a minimum of 10 loads in a 12K trailer.

/ Hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? #6  
Ahh asphalt. Prior to about 1976, I hauled it, worked on a ground crew with a rather primitive spreader and tended a plant. If memory serves, it is 365 degrees out of the plant. Mostly, the trucks you see hauling it today have aluminum dump bodies. Take a look, they get pretty nasty looking. Back when I was doing it, there were alot of steel dump bodies with traditional paint not powder coat and much heavier steel. The paint held up okay, but there was not much shine to be had, nor did people really care. Chrome and chicken lights were not such a big deal back then. I expect it will at the least dull out the paint. Melted rubber and wiring were not an issue.

Spray a light coat of fuel oil on your bed prior to loading the asphalt. The state inspectors do not like it but for your useage, it won't hurt. Asphalt cools rapidly so unless you are like five minutes from a plant, cover it with a heavy canvas tarp which will hold up to the heat. When you run out, place a 2x4 against to leave a blunt end to start the next load against. Talk to the plant people. They can dial in the exact amount of weight to drop into your trailer.

I can recall this small company that did all of there work by hand, no spreader. They would rake it out to depth, maybe screed it like concrete then roll it. You do need to roll it out somehow. What are your plans for that? You can go back and forth with a vehicle and it will look bad but will function.

/ Hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? #7  
Put some Kerosene in the bed so it won't stick as bad but you will still have a mess.

/ Hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? #8  
Most Super Pave mixes (Sp-9.5/12.5/19mm) are 305-325 degrees. We have put asphalt in coolers, buckets, pick ups, ect (the plastic 5 gal buckets are never shaped quite the same afterwords). Put some diesel in a weed sprayer and spray the inside of the trailer to prevent sticking. Trailer tires will be fine, paint I dont know about inside if the dump body (not many dump trucks have any paint left on the inside) but outside will be fine.

When you order asphalt, im going to assume they will basically sell you what ever they are running for the day, so just avoid anything they call Friction, Popcorn, or FC-5. These mixes have a lot of rubber in them, making handwork, cleaning truck/trailer/tools harder.

With what your working on, make sure you deal with any grass first, the asphalt will not kill it, and will actually spur its growth if you have over it. If you dont have a wacker packer (vibratory plate compactor) with watering system, you can throw sand on the hot asphalt before compacting to keep the asphalt from sticking (plus it helps fill the rough texture areas, improving appearance, ride quality)

Dont know what you have been quoted on materials, but in North Central Florida, its running $57-$64/ton FOB (picked up at plant).

/ Hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? #9  
You could also consider recycled or shredded asphalt.
Costs less, not messy , spreads like crushed stone.
Very resistant to water run off damage on hills and within a short time fuses or binds itself back to a 'pavedlike' surface.
Should be done beginning of hot season and compaction helps a lot. Even driving back and forth helps. (city uses grader wheels to compact)
Naturally a vibrator compactor is the best.

I did my hills 18 yrs ago and never regretted it. (compaction was a loaded dump truck with bald tires)
Our city has been doing the same thing on all the hilly parts of their many gravel roads thus reducing grading drastically.
In fact down to 2-3 times per year as against bi-weekly plus every rain storm.

In my area crushed recycle is actually cheaper than crushed stone and much more effective.

On smaller projects some folks actually use a rented vibrating plate compactor.

/ Hot asphalt in their 14' goose neck dump trailer? #10  
Even recycled concrete aggregate binds better than plain crushed stone, especially if it has a good amount concrete dust in it.