Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
I have used horse manure as a garden compost for quite a long time.
No other commercial compost or fertilizer but only well rotten horse compost.
Definitely., I recommend rotten horse manure as a good garden compost.
Jkk

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #2  
Horse manure is better than nothing but is lacking in nitrogen which is a very key soil element. Better off with cow, goat, pig, or bird, chit.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #4  
plus... horse pucky is full of weed seeds.
Yep. I found that out when I got free load of horse manure after volunteering at a therapeutic horse riding facility. I should have composted it at high heat for a year. Instead I dumped it on our garden and tilled it in. I've never had more weeds in my life. 😬

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #5  
i tested our year old composted horse manure, and it wasnt very good on any nutrient level, especially nitrogen.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #6  
It adds organic matter to the soil which is beneficial. I would be careful using it with woodchips until they have broken down sufficiently or it will have a negative affect on the nitrogen in the soil. Putting over your trees is fine but don't till it into your garden until those chips have broken down completely. That takes longer than leaves maybe a couple years.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #7  
The problem with horse manure originates with the poor digestive system in the horse. Stuff just does not get broken down sufficiently.
Cows have 5 time as many stomachs so yeah, their manure is broken down to the point the same seeds are dead. Loved the horses but yeah, not the manure.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #8  
Adding organic matter to garden soil improves tillage and breaks up clay or adds water holding capacity to sandy soils. But it’s not very good as a fertilizer. I’ve used it to break up clay, but I’ve had to add nutrients, especially nitrogen because horse manure doesn’t have many nutrients. Oh, and manure adds a lot of weed seeds.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #9  
You can also add gypsum to clay to improve the soil. Clay needs a lot of help.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #10  
You can also add gypsum to clay to improve the soil. Clay needs a lot of help.
Unless you live in the west where our soil is a bit on the alkaline side. We like to add organic matter and sulfur instead of gypsum, which will increase alkalinity.