Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #51  
Lots of good info in last 50 posts regarding horse manure compost but as is often the case,you must dig through some bull **** to find it. Urea has about as much relevance to compost as what color one paints his toenails and a bit of common sense is far better than hysterics in dealing with Grazon or other herbicides. If in doubt toss bean,clover or other highly sensitive broadleaf seed on pile before spreading,keep it damp and see if seed sprout. If horse is fed Alfalfa like most are,you have my word it was never treated with Grazon. When and if a field is treated with Grazon the effects don't last forever because treated grass is soon grazed off and replaced by new growth. Compost doesn't contain a great amount of nitrogen but it can certainly contribute long term to getting nitrogen to your plants. I'm going to break tradition and instead of copy and paste from Wiki or a U-tube, suggest an experiment that speaks volumes about compost. In addition to many other benifits,compost alows air to penetrate soil and introduce nitrogen. Choose a spot in your pasture or yard that never receives irrigation or fertilizer. Dig a basketball or larger hole, pulverize soil and place back in hole. You will soon notice the 1 or 2 square foot area turn remarkably greener than surrounding area. If that one time introduction of air helps that much consider how ongoing infiltration can benefit plants.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #52  
Gypsum has sulfur in it as well as a good supply of Calcium. I like to add hardwood charcoal and ashes from our fire pit to our soil.

Gypsum = calcium sulfate (CaSO4).
Greensand = good stuff in a garden plot good source of potash as well and +30 other macro and micro elements great for roots/soil.
Pot-ash = hardwood ashes
manure

We got several large garden plots. These all work.
Once again: adding more calcium when you have excess already isn’t a good idea. Excess calcium will precipitate and form a hard pan, restricting root growth.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #53  
I have used horse manure as a garden compost for quite a long time.
No other commercial compost or fertilizer but only well rotten horse compost.
Definitely., I recommend rotten horse manure as a good garden compost.
Jkk

Oh my!!!!

I misread that Post ...

I thought you said "House Manure"

Oops!

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #54  
I have an abundance of free mushroom soil in my area, which makes an excellent fertilizer. There’s a considerable amount of horse manure in it, along with chicken littler, topsoil and lime. I recommend you search around and see if there’s any mushroom growers in your area. They give away or sell their spent mushroom compost for cheap. I use about 100 tri-axle dump truck loads per year spread about 1” thick on my fields. It increases yields noticeably and helps with drought.

1666696008503.jpeg

1666696211094.jpeg

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #55  
I still use horse manure when I can get it! Thats the only thing we can get in this area,---no livestock here,---just horses.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #56  
We have mushroom compost here as well although it's not free, but a front end loader full is $20 so almost free. I'll confirm that it's great for gardens and lawns. (and on occasion it even has a mushroom or two in it) I've put many yards of it into my yard and tilled it in and my yard is resistant to a drought.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #57  
We have mushroom compost here as well although it's not free, but a front end loader full is $20 so almost free. I'll confirm that it's great for gardens and lawns. (and on occasion it even has a mushroom or two in it) I've put many yards of it into my yard and tilled it in and my yard is resistant to a drought.

Yes, they charge small users (gardeners, landscapers), but if you’ll take 100 tons, they not only don’t charge for it, they also deliver it free within 10 miles.
Since I live in “the mushroom capital of the world” we have 1000’s of tons available for free every year. There’s no place to go with it except back on farm fields.
One of the reasons we grow 650-750 tons of mushroom hay per year and 100-200 tons of feed hay per year.

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔
Making Kimchi from the garden grows napa cabbage and horse manure only for fertilizing.
Harvest the napa cabbages from the garden.

Kimchi is a fermented food that is naturally rich in probiotics (good bacteria for your digestive system).
It is the most famous Korean food for thousands of years.

kimchi is also a good source of many vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, iron, and manganese.

Highly recommended 🤣🤣🤣
Jkk

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #59  
I once was gifted some manure out of a cattle barn for my garden. It took me years to get rid of the weeds that sprouted up from the seeds in that manure. Next I get will be from a chicken house.

RSKY

/ Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔 #60  
I once was gifted some manure out of a cattle barn for my garden. It took me years to get rid of the weeds that sprouted up from the seeds in that manure. Next I get will be from a chicken house.

RSKY
Chicken manure is great but must be handled differently than cow and horse manure. If incorporated into soil straight from pen then seeded, nitrogen can be high enough to effect seed germination. Two very different materials come from poultry houses,one mixed with wood chip and pure poop from beneath cages. The latter has little value as compost but is a source of nitrogen unrivaled by commercial bagged products. In either form it quickly loses N to atmosphere if piled like horse manure to compost.