Horehound candy

/ Horehound candy #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Anyone else here like horehound candy? Has anyone ever made it at home? Anyone else even know what it is? Getting pretty hard to find in the stores any more and folks don't know what you're talking about when you ask for it. They ask "What's that?"...or..."How do you spell it?". Not as yummy as pralines maybe, but good.

/ Horehound candy #2  
Never made it at home. It is hard to find although I don't look for it too hard since I don't care for it. My wife does like it. About the only place I know where to find it in NC is the Mast General Store in the mountains.

/ Horehound candy #3  
Brings back alot of memories... Dad always had a bag. Our local martins supermarket has alot of the old fasion candy in the bulk food asle.

mark

/ Horehound candy #4  
Last time I tasted it (or even heard the word, for that matter) was about 50 years ago; I was 13 or so. My mother's sister Nola bought some in Gatlinburg,TN. I didn't like it, but I am willing to try again now that my tastes are somewhat more sophisticated. Plenty available on E-bay.

/ Horehound candy #5  
Anyone else here like horehound candy? Has anyone ever made it at home? Anyone else even know what it is? Getting pretty hard to find in the stores any more and folks don't know what you're talking about when you ask for it. They ask "What's that?"...or..."How do you spell it?". Not as yummy as pralines maybe, but good.

If you have a Cracker Barrel or a Hobby Lobby. Both of those carry it. Or you could alway order some online and have it sent to your door. My mom and wife both like it. I never developed a taste for it. -robert

/ Horehound candy #6  
If you have a Cracker Barrel or a Hobby Lobby. Both of those carry it. Or you could alway order some online and have it sent to your door. My mom and wife both like it. I never developed a taste for it. -robert

As a kid, I didn't like it either. I wonder if it's an acquired taste, like scotch whisky?

/ Horehound candy #7  
Sorry.......BLECH!.....I could never stand that stuff. That and KALE....LOL! don-ohio :)^)

/ Horehound candy #8  
I love horehound candy. Thank God here in Virginia it is quite common. Claey's is the brand around here. Really good stuff.

/ Horehound candy #9  
I can take it or leave it.. was never a great favorite with me, and havent had any in years. My Dad liked it. Here is a little info about the plant.

Natural Remedy

White horehound is used as a traditional folk medicine ingredient and administered in tea and lozenge form. It is thought to relieve asthma symptoms, calm sore throats, and lessen coughing caused by a cold or influenza. Many people use it to relieve digestive issues as well, as it is also thought to stimulate the appetite and to relieve gas. When used as a natural remedy, horehound candy is generally believed to be well tolerated in small doses, although hard candy is a choking hazard for small children.

Pregnant woman, lactating women, and children under two should not use horehound. The natural volatile oils of the plant can prevent the absorption of iron and other minerals, and may cause complications during pregnancy.
Growing the Plant

Although white horehound is native to Europe, Asia, and North Africa, it thrives in most climate zones, especially those found in the United States and Canada. In fact, it's considered by many to be an invasive species and a weed. The plant grows well in poor, sandy soils, and it is very tolerant of drought. It prefers full sun and drier conditions. Like other mint plants, it can spread easily.

When used to make candy, it's best for gardeners to wait until the second year to harvest the leaves and small, white flowers. A few leaves — no more than one-third — can be removed during the first year of growth, but harvesting too many can damage the plant. Once the horehound is well established, however, the leaves and flowers can be picked when they are at their peak, dried, and stored in an air-tight container for up to one year.

James K0UA

/ Horehound candy #10  
My Dad liked it too.....`course he'd eat moldy bread too! LOL! JUST kidding! don-ohio :)^)