Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait...

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #11  
A torque multiplier might make more sense to loosen occasional bolts, rather than the expense of keeping a large compressor, air lines, etc for an occasional use above normal impact gun capability. The convenience of grabbing an impact capable of doing the "tight" ones will be offset by the cost of keeping it running, plus the tendency to use the same gun to tighten the bolts upon re-installation, which just adds to the problem the next time they need to come off.
David from jax

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait...
I've had one for years. In my case (with wear steels) it won't work. No place for the reaction rod to anchor too. My shop uses a lot of air every day anyway. When I built it, I was shooting for 30 cfm anyway. Why I have a screw compressor. 3phase of course. In reality, with the QP and the screw running, I can get 45 CFM at 135 psi. We have a lot of air hungry tools here.

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #13  
I've had one for years. In my case (with wear steels) it won't work. No place for the reaction rod to anchor too. My shop uses a lot of air every day anyway. When I built it, I was shooting for 30 cfm anyway. Why I have a screw compressor. 3phase of course. In reality, with the QP and the screw running, I can get 45 CFM at 135 psi. We have a lot of air hungry tools here.
I added a long handle which will rotate around and hit the ground. Easy enough to tie it off if there is nothing to stop it, or just hold both handles to make it work. The torque available on some of them is amazing, over 2000 ft/lbs if I remember correctly.
David from jax

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait...
With wear steels and grouser teeth, most of it is out of convenient position anyway. All I've ever used it for was breaking lug nuts loose on my big truck aluminum rims. Don't know what the max torque yield is but I'd say around 2000 pounds feet. When I'm replacing plow steel, I want to zip off the plow bolts as quickly as possible as there are usually at least 15, sometimes more depending on the blade width

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #15  
5030 - I have a small impact tool. Nothing like you will be getting. My real demon - Milwaukee Hole Hog. I've had to put a looong handle on it. I drill deep into tree stumps to improve the "rotting" process. I've been drug around a large stump too often to keep the OEM short handle. Just be very careful.

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #16  
When plumbing my latest workshop with air, I went out of my way and paid a premium for Milton products; fittings, regulators, oil/water separators, etc. Wanted to support a made in USA company. When synthetic compressor oil turned the bowl rings on the separators to mush, I called Milton trying to get the o ring size to move up to a higher grade, more resistant material. Guess what. I got the “won’t give out that information, it’s a trade secret. You only purchased the product, not the data” answer.

Thanks a lot.

Lost a customer that day. Hopefully they are doing better these days.

Have an old IR231 that’s performed well over the years, but the vanes could use replacing.

Got the 1 inch impact from a tire shop calling it quits. Useful for things like brush hog blade removal.

1 impact..JPG

Looking forward to hearing how the Thor actually preforms.

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #17  
My 727 or 747, just up and stopped hitting yesterday. I was in the middle of something and borrowed my buds HF model. Earthquake something. I guess they have one better but this thing really hits. Only thing i dont loke is it has adjustment on reverse where the CP is full more power reverse than forward.
I am going to take mine apart but gonna look at new cp or ir. Vendors are so much more competitive than they used to be, hss narrowed the gap a lot.

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #18  
How much is the Thor?
I have the pressure where it was set at factory, this is part of 2 stage design. Using the tanks
air comps rev.JPG
to deliver the volume. I can make 28 but keep it live from a comp makes 12, 3 hp, what they call a mechanics compressor. Big tank, off at 175, on at 130. The system will deliver as much as you wanna let out till it kicks on during this stage regardless of comp size. Makes about 1/2 what the tool needs as its running, tanks supply the rest.

Last edited: