Honda GCV160 No Spark

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #11  
Well, it's not rocket science to obtain 'spark'.

You need the rotating magnet (flywheel) - ignoring the keyway, as timing is another issue.
You need an armature assembly (Your coil on its laminated iron core).
Correct air gap between coil and flywheel. You DO have an air gap - Yes? (0.010" should be about right?)

The Kill Switch wire in operation prevents spark so disconnect that at the coil terminal.
A known 'good' spark plug as Randy & I have noted. (New plugs 'can' be faulty out of the box so we stress a 'known good' plug when testing for spark/no spark.) Take a plug out of your TX Gator or LX266 which you know is a runner.

Ground the plug on the engine exterior metal surface (Cylinder head) and pull the rope.

Others have asked about coil orientation - You haven't replied.
If possible, flip the coil and try again. You have nothing to lose.

A picture would help.

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #12  
Engine came from a Troybuit push mower.
"Came from..."
So it's not on a mower now?
What is on the crankshaft now?
No rotating mass? Are you pulling the rope hard and fast?

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark
OK, here we go. It's now mounted on a frame from a pressure washer that I have saved because the mounting holes match perfectly to the GCV160 series. Nothing on the crankshaft. The mower deck was rusted so was recycled. The idea of using a good plug is the next step in case that is the problem. With the plug removed, I can easily spin the engine with my drill, which I've done before with good success. I can test it on the bench using this method. Yes, gap is about .010. Coil orientation has the connecting tab for the wire on the bottom where it was when I first started working on it. Flipping it is an interesting solution. I'll try that too, if all else fails. Thanks again.

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #14  
Have you determined if this an open to run kill wire style or ground to run? If ground to run you need to connect tab of coil to known good ground.

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark
Thanks for the message. The wire to the engine brake goes from the tab on the mag to the tab on the kill switch. I cleaned the bottom of the switch and the block to insure good ground.

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark
Hi All,

After all the usual checks and suggestions, turns out the problem was even though the coil was new and it had spark initially, it failed and I didn't check it since it was considered "new." Dumb mistake, but lesson learned! Thanks to all for their input!

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #17  
Hi All,

After all the usual checks and suggestions, turns out the problem was even though the coil was new and it had spark initially, it failed and I didn't check it since it was considered "new." Dumb mistake, but lesson learned! Thanks to all for their input!
As Eric O. at South Main Auto says, "just because it's new doesn't mean it's any good."