Honda GCV160 No Spark

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #1  

wolfden793

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere LX 266, John Deere Gator TX, Kubota B7500, Takeuchi TB016
Hi All,

I have a Honda GCV160 engine that has no spark and I've tried a number of solutions with no results. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Here is what I've done so far:

New coil (old one tested bad) still no spark
Tested flywheel brake shut off switch - still no spark
Found some damage to terminal that attaches to mag and replaced - still no spark
Checked flywheel key, seems OK - still no spark

Thanks in advance for any help!

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #2  
Had a mouse chew a wire on a Honda pump once, went from one pull start to no amount of pull would start it .

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark
Yup, that's what I thought with this, as there was a chew mark on the terminal end where it hooks to the mag. Changed that wire and still no spark. Checked stop switch with a VOM and it checked out OK. Thanks for the reply.

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #4  
Have you tried disconnecting the kill wire and checking for spark. Normally with kill unplugged and no spark with a known good plug would mean bad module. But have to be careful because some of the Honda modules are ground to run.

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #5  
Does it have low oil shutdown? Sometimes that will cause no spark condition.

SR

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark
Good Morning!

Thank you both for your suggestions. This engine does not have a low oil system (that I know of) and oil is full. I did disconnect the kill wire and there was no spark, but the module is new (Honda not aftermarket). I bench tested the module with a VOM and it tested fine.

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #7  
Is it possible that the spark is there but not visible with your testing method? You don't really say anything about the equipment history. I don't know if it's possible to install the coil flipped, but is the kill wire on top or the bottom?

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #8  
Is it possible that the spark is there but not visible with your testing method? You don't really say anything about the equipment history. I don't know if it's possible to install the coil flipped, but is the kill wire on top or the bottom?
I had wondered about flipped coil also.

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark #9  
Hi All,

I have a Honda GCV160 engine that has no spark and I've tried a number of solutions with no results. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Here is what I've done so far:

New coil (old one tested bad) still no spark
Tested flywheel brake shut off switch - still no spark
Found some damage to terminal that attaches to mag and replaced - still no spark
Checked flywheel key, seems OK - still no spark

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yup, that's what I thought with this, as there was a chew mark on the terminal end where it hooks to the mag. Changed that wire and still no spark. Checked stop switch with a VOM and it checked out OK. Thanks for the reply.

Good Morning!

Thank you both for your suggestions. This engine does not have a low oil system (that I know of) and oil is full. I did disconnect the kill wire and there was no spark, but the module is new (Honda not aftermarket). I bench tested the module with a VOM and it tested fine.
No mention of replacing the Spark Plug...
Take a Spark Plug (Any spark plug) out of a known running engine so you know it's a 'good' plug.
One with some black soot is best as it shows the spark more easily.
Ground that on the outside of the engine as you pull the rope.
Do this with the original 'plug removed so the engine rotates easily.

/ Honda GCV160 No Spark
Hi!

New plug installed. Good idea to use a plug with black soot, as this would make it easier to see. Still working on it. Engine came from a Troybuit push mower. Thanks!