Homemade road roller?

/ Homemade road roller? #1  

Sebculb

Gold Member
Tractor
'97 Deere 310D Backhoe
Hey everyone,

So now I've got another pipe dream that may or may not be a good idea. Want to get your opinions/experiences before I decide to move forward with it.

I drive backhoes in Costa Rica. A lot of my work is making or maintaining farm roads or driveways to peoples homesteads. Gravel isn't used as much as Rocky shale clay soil mix (called "lastre") because the terrain is very steep and mountainous and loose gravel just washes down the hill and the shale clay mix ties together and compacts down better.

Rollers exist here but they aren't that common and it's expensive and inconvenient to truck them out to the country. But these dirt roads do come out nicer when you roll them.

So my big idea is to make a roller that attaches to the front bucket of a backhoe and drive that up and down a road a few times after spreading out the base material.

A possible design could be to put two steel drums with the ends removed one on top of the other with a thick pipe in the middle that could serve to put some kind of axle assembly through. Fill the two barrels with concrete and fabricate some kinda structure to mount it to the front bucket. Maybe something similar to how pallet forks mount I dunno yet.

Two barrels is approximately the width of the backhoe. Perhaps I could do it with concrete culverts or a stack of old tires. But the weight of the two barrels filled with concrete would be about a ton.

Is that heavy enough to have any appreciable effect compacting the road surface? Was thinking of making the axle assembly either "floating", so the roller could move up and down freely and adhere to the road surface better and allow for easier steering, or "rigid" so the weight of the front end of the backhoe can push down on it too, which will help compaction a lot but really mess with the steering. Like when you put the bucket down too hard and it lifts your front wheels and the thing can't steer just pushes straight forward. Perhaps a little bit of float? That way i can compact harder in the straights and ease up in the turns. Hmmmm...

Another factor to maybe take into account is that the big fat hoe (7 tons or so) already compacts a lot with the tires and it's just the space between the back wheels that needs an additional roller. Should I make it narrower just to cover this space? Or wider just so it's more uniform and weighs more? Perhaps just a tidbit wider than the hoe has certain appeal also. Although the thing should probably be transportable in the front bucket too.

The roller we rent is a big sucker, has to weigh 8 to 10 tons comparing it to the backhoes in size. And it's got this vibration thing going on in the front roller. Rubber tires in the back. I dunno if a little rinky dink homemade roller could have any appreciable effect compared to that thing. But then they have these funny little rollers they use for home asphalt jobs and they seem to work okay so maybe my idea isn't totally useless.

Sorry for being so long winded, and thanks in advance for any input.

/ Homemade road roller? #2  
A non vibratory roller won’t do much good. Just roll back and forth with the backhoe tires. It probably wouldn’t be any slower than messing with transporting the roller.

/ Homemade road roller? #3  
I don't know if a one ton roller would be enough. You said you have rocky shale clay mix, I wouldn't think a smooth non-vibrating roller would do much to that. Instead you might want to put pad feet on the roller to help with the compaction. I've seen short (2" - 3") sections of 4" pipe cut in half and the half moon sections welded onto the drum as feet. Not sure how well that would work, but it should be better than a smooth drum.

As for mounting it on the FEL, as long as you're going straight it should not be a problem. However, I would be concerned that you could bend the loader arms with the sideways force when going around the turns. You really want the roller to be free floating. Do you have enough room between the loader bucket and the front of the loader for the roller? Meaning to put a ball hitch on the back of the loader bucket and tow the roller from that point? Or is there some way to tow the roller behind the backhoe?

/ Homemade road roller? #4  
I made a roller that is 24" diameter and 7' long and filled it with water. Total weight about 1400 lbs. I tried it a couple of times and quickly discovered that it does nothing to compact my gravel/dirt driveway. It now sits in the storage yard, for some future use.

I believe that the key to getting good compaction is a combination of weight and vibration. I also believe that the vibration is more important than the weight. I did think about adding some kind of vibration system to the roller but never got that far.

Good luck.

/ Homemade road roller? #5  
I made a roller that is 24" diameter and 7' long and filled it with water. Total weight about 1400 lbs. I tried it a couple of times and quickly discovered that it does nothing to compact my gravel/dirt driveway. It now sits in the storage yard, for some future use.

I believe that the key to getting good compaction is a combination of weight and vibration. I also believe that the vibration is more important than the weight. I did think about adding some kind of vibration system to the roller but never got that far.

Good luck.
I use a 5' X 25" poly roller filled water and it only works good when I roll my driveway when its wet like right after a rain. Driveway is inch n a half minus. When I roll it wet the fines float to the surface and dry to a kinda like concrete surface.