Home weather station suggestions

/ Home weather station suggestions #61  
Strange that none of the three data points on the small display repeat on the larger one.

/ Home weather station suggestions #62  
Here's one you already paid for and it works pretty good:

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

:D
I agree 100%. I am constantly hearing people tell of 'weather this' and 'weather that', and I keep telling them, as a former student pilot, I learned to use the same one that all commercial pilots use....NOAA/NWS...provided and funded by our taxes! And I always wonder where the 'others' get their 'radar' images. I doubt that the local TV/RADIO stations own their own weather radar. And I also wonder where they get the data to feed into their 'weather programs'? I also doubt that they own or operate a huge network of data gathering equipment, such as NOAA/NWS.

/ Home weather station suggestions #63  
what model of Acurite do you have that has 2 monitors?
I have their 5 in 1 Iris sensor and have 3 base stations that connect to it in the family room, office and bedroom.

/ Home weather station suggestions #64  
I doubt that the local TV/RADIO stations own their own weather radar. And I also wonder where they get the data to feed into their 'weather programs'? I also doubt that they own or operate a huge network of data gathering equipment, such as NOAA/NWS.
1670583638474.png

NBC 4 Washington DC radar truck, mostly used for major storms. Otherwise NOAA/NWS

/ Home weather station suggestions #65  
I agree 100%. I am constantly hearing people tell of 'weather this' and 'weather that', and I keep telling them, as a former student pilot, I learned to use the same one that all commercial pilots use....NOAA/NWS...provided and funded by our taxes! And I always wonder where the 'others' get their 'radar' images. I doubt that the local TV/RADIO stations own their own weather radar. And I also wonder where they get the data to feed into their 'weather programs'? I also doubt that they own or operate a huge network of data gathering equipment, such as NOAA/NWS.
Weather Underground has a much larger source of data than the NWS. All of the reporting PWS's provide data for their forecasting.

/ Home weather station suggestions #67  
Strange that none of the three data points on the small display repeat on the larger one.
Never set the time on the small one because it doesn't matter. I will use it for the temp in the crawl space. I have not placed the sensor there yet. Right now, the sensor is outside the front door. It is getting residual heat from the house.

/ Home weather station suggestions #68  
Have you ever checked to see if you can calibrate the rain meter?
Many weather stations have ways to calibrate rainfall. Most use the tipple cup technique which works well for the most part. They can get overwhelmed during heavy rain when the cone or "reservoir" fills up and overflows.

I calibrate my Davis equipment with this NOAA approved analog gauge:

61IWIOrn5mL._AC_.jpg

On the rare occasion when we get a torrential rain storm, it will measure any overflow from the Davis gauge.

/ Home weather station suggestions #69  
Have you ever checked to see if you can calibrate the rain meter?
Just what was on their website. As I remember it, they wanted you to link nearby weather stations so the reported rainfall was more in line with others. I looked at other Tempest reports in the surrounding 5 mile radius there were others with pretty unbelievable reports too. I never went any further with it.

/ Home weather station suggestions #70  
I doubt that the local TV/RADIO stations own their own weather radar.
Here in tornado alley the local TV station does: NextGen Live: News 9 History Of "Firsts"at

Quote From the link:
"Here at News 9, we've been a leader in weather technology in Oklahoma. Now, we've just unveiled another first, our NextGen Live. It's the most powerful and fastest dual pol radar in the world.

In 1981, News 9 was the first television station in the world to use a Doppler radar.

"For the first time we were able to look at storms and look at rotation in storms," said Chief Meteorologist David Payne.

We also were first to do storm tracking on the screen and the first to bring you our StreetScope technology, which shows you the exact location of breaking news and weather over live video.

"We can track a tornado on the ground from the chopper from the camera showing streets where the tornado is and where it's headed, street by street, block by block and mile by mile," said Payne.

Now, another first is unveiled. Our NextGen Live, the most powerful dual pol radar in the world. Baron Services in Huntsville, Alabama upgraded roughly 170 National Weather Service radars across the country to dual pol radars. Dual pol technology releases two beams of energy in the atmosphere to scan for storms.

"We were the first to install dual pol systems commercially," said John Ellis, Baron Program Manager.

But our radar is even more sophisticated.

"We've taken that same dual pole radar but we've basically put it on steroids," said Payne. "The processor the computer that goes into it is just a beast."

With one million watts of power, the NextGen live will give you dual pol information about Oklahoma's storms with the highest resolution and in real time, no delay."

And this link: Ahead Of The Storm: 1M Watts Of Power