Home made plywood

/ Home made plywood #1  

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
So yea,I plan to buy a log peeler and,,,,,,:giggle: not really but I can buy used 1/8" plywood 50 sheets for $50 and endless availability. Have you glued up multiple layers to make thicker sheets (I'm thinking 4 to 6 layers) and how did it work out? I'm thinking of sand bags for clamping. If no previous experinece,does it sound like a worthwhile porject? i would mostly use it on shelves,pallet rack and interior wall covering for storage buildings.

/ Home made plywood #2  
Osb is back down considerably. It’s not worth messing with IMO.

/ Home made plywood #4  
I've heard of making small pieces, like one sq ft, using a screw press or lots of clamps for pressure. Usually exotic wood for the outer layer(s) or more.

Bruce

/ Home made plywood #5  
My Dad made some arched beams, with thin laminations and resorcinol glue back in the late fifties. And, that is about the only type of thing which would convince me to attempt gluing up anything even remotely similar to plywood. By the time up value your time at anything, it will always be less expensive to buy wha tyou need unless your gong for soemthing that has to be custom made any how. That is basically, arched, or compound arched beams. Jut about anything else will be available as a market comedity. Even if you wanted a veneered piece of a very exotic, surface wood, you would start with a good plywood as the base.

/ Home made plywood #6  
Well I certainly give you credit, I have never heard this idea before...so you would have to cut half of the sheets as plywood has alternating grain. You also would need a truckload of glue, and a huge hydraulic press to assemble them. The biggest problem will be keeping the center perfectly tight until the glue cures.

/ Home made plywood #7  
Yeah, I think you'd be ahead running the cash register at the local gas/convenience store for 4 - 5 hours a night and buying a sheet the next morning. But I do appreciate your idea.👍

/ Home made plywood #8  
There are boat hulls made of glued up strips of wood. I believe it’s called cold moulding.

/ Home made plywood #9  
So yea,I plan to buy a log peeler and,,,,,,:giggle: not really but I can buy used 1/8" plywood 50 sheets for $50 and endless availability. Have you glued up multiple layers to make thicker sheets (I'm thinking 4 to 6 layers) and how did it work out? I'm thinking of sand bags for clamping. If no previous experinece,does it sound like a worthwhile porject? i would mostly use it on shelves,pallet rack and interior wall covering for storage buildings.
or! toothpicks are even cheaper, glue some of those together,
sorry i could not help myself lol