Hog Hunting Public Land

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #31  
After reading that, I have to wonder if the person in charge of managing the wild hogs in Missouri has a brain?

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #32  
We employ every tactic possible, from shooting, trapping and snares. I usually sour some corn in a bucket of water for a week and use that as bait.
trapped pigs.jpg

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #33  
We employ every tactic possible, from shooting, trapping and snares. I usually sour some corn in a bucket of water for a week and use that as bait.
View attachment 849456
I've had really good experience with dry coolaid/gatorade powder sprinkled around as well, makes them hang out a long time rooting around looking for whatever the sweet smelly thing is.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #34  
The guy who hunts on my place adds red Cool Aid packets to the corn to increase the scent and bring them in. It's his time and money, but he thinks it makes a huge difference. I've also heard that diesel fuel on corn will bring them in. I haven't tried either, we just shoot them when we see them, and we're to the point that we're not even looking for them.

This picture of my wife, and one of the hogs she shot, won her a $250 gift card.

cover_photo.jpg

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #35  
After reading that, I have to wonder if the person in charge of managing the wild hogs in Missouri has a brain?

Lots of Missourians also question the guidance.

Do any other states have a similar thought process?

Seems strange if Missouri is the only one.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #36  
I haven't tried it, but folks swear by corn soaked in diesel as bait. Supposedly, it doesn't attract deer.

I just sour corn or sometimes I use Pig Out, a sweet smelly and salty pig attractant that you mix with corn. I've also made my own similar concoction by mixing jello mix with vegetable oil.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #37  
A nice feature on that trap I posted is that it's hinged on the bottom. When you go to get the hogs out, you just pull 2 pins and the entire top can be rolled open. Also works well if you need to release a trapped deer.

When my daughters were young, they used to play rock, paper, scissors to see who had to climb into the trap to put the rope on the dead pigs, so we could drag them out.:LOL:

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #38  
Someone dumped some pigs(not hogs) on our farm. I wanted to shoot them but usda set up a round trap that they monitored by cam and caught them all in one go.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land
Lots of Missourians also question the guidance.

Do any other states have a similar thought process?

Seems strange if Missouri is the only one.
So, not saying one way or the other; but there has been talk about hunting being a negative towards eradicating them. The explanation I've heard, a sounder will more or less stay together, and not break up or start new ones, as much; and that allows mass trapping/poisoning; but when hunted, the sounder will break up more, and start several new, smaller ones, and they will each grow to the size of the original group within a year.

I'm not really sure that eradication is a true goal. I understand they are destructive and non-native; but they have been here for 500 years, and are part of the ecosystem now.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land
On scanning the general FWC info on hogs; it Does Not say eradication is a goal. It mentions non-native and destructive, but also says they have been here since 1539.