Hog Hunting Public Land

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
Any advice for someone wanting to hog hunt public WMA? Gonna go do some scouting, but the WMA I'm headed too, terrain and all look good, large lake, lots of swampy areas, mixed heavy Florida wet woods/swamp, and also planted pines. When I look at the aerials, I'm just not seeing the well defined hog paths that you see in other marshy areas. I've been out there once turkey hunting, maybe twice, but thats it. It's pretty late now, and small game ends like March 1 or March 3.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land
I guess I should add, I hunt white tails on private, and done a fair bit of squirrel hunting on WMAs. It's more a question on how to narrow down an 15000 acre area, for hogs, when there aren't obvious trails to focus on. I know the terrain Sgould have hogs, but I don't actually know there are any/many there.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #3  
I have hogs on my land, and they are a problem animal here in Texas that are allowed to hunt day or night, with any weapon, and you can use spotlights. There isn't a limit on them, and you don't even need a hunting license if you are a land owner, or the land owner gives a person permission to hunt their land.

When I lived in California, a few buddies and I would hunt for hogs on public land with very little success. California has a bunch of regulations for hog hunting that made it harder to hunt them. Hogs are mostly nocturnal, so finding them out and about during the day is rare. They cannot cool themselves, so they rely on staying still all day long when it's hot out, or laying in water and mud to stay cool. In winter, they are more active during daylight, but night is still their favorite time to be out. The cold has no affect on them, they can survive in Siberia, so they can handle anything that winter can hit them with easily here in the US.

Just about everyone that I know who hunts hogs is a lot more successful hunting them at night with thermal scopes over bait. The guy who shoots them at my place, has killed over 200 since the Covid Lockdown. Right now, it's too muddy out, but he needs to get back here because they are tearing up my land every night.

Can you bait hogs there? Can you use game cameras? They don't pattern like deer do, they can be in one place for a week before moving off, or they might just be there one night or two before moving off. The boars tend to remain alone while looking for receptive sows. Sows group up in pairs with three generation of piglets between the two of them. I've seen groups over 30, but a dozen to 20 is more common. For a very short time, when the oldest piglets break off from mom, they might remain together for a bit, but once the boars reach maturity, they don't want friends, they only want to eat and reproduce.

I've had luck just listening to them. Or I should say that while I was in my woods, I've heard them making noise and I've been able to sneak up on them and get one.

I've shot two with one shot before, and I've shot three in a group before, but usually after the first shot, they spread out and disappear pretty quickly. The guy with the thermal can usually get 3 or four out of a group because his thermal shows them through the brush at night. He's also stayed out during the night after shooting a few, and another group will come to the feeder and he'll get a few more. One night with his brother, they shot 14. They have also shot 12 in one night several times.

I saw four feeding along the offramp to my house just before dark last night. I thought about going for a walk to see if there where any out on my place, but I had to do some other things.

Hogs are not stupid, but they are not brilliant either. Their tracks are round and wider then deer tracks. After it rains, you can find fresh tracks and sometimes follow them to where they are tearing up the ground. Rain seems to make them more active for some reason. They can't see very well, and they make so much noise, that they don't seem to care about other sounds either. Smell is their strong point, so if you see or hear them, use the wind to your advantage.

I used to get excited about hog hunting, but now it's a pain. I just want to fence them out and never have to deal with them again.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #4  
With the weather we’ve been having I’d look at small pine stands especially near any recent burns. They are going to be making a lot of nests as well so keep your eyes out in tall grasses near any type of cover that would shield from wind or rain. If you can find this combo along a drainage you’ll prob bump something or see some sign.

Our private is about the same as yours; any time, any weapon (excluding poison or explosives). The WMA I scoped out today, allows shotgun and rim fire; day time only, and no dogs for hogs. Tons of water sources, but no baiting allowed on public.

I've been trying for the past few years to force myself to try a new hunt every year, to kinda break up the same old same old, sit in a tree over corn and hope a deer shows up...

The terrain is a mix of a couple trails, swamp, and the most ungodly brain thickets you've ever seen.

We allegedly have a hog problem in FLa, but on the WMAs, they are pretty dang restrictive. We don't have any on my own property, but that is dry sand hills.

I did see some pretty fresh tracks, and some rooting, and some older bedding areas. Didn't hear or see anything. Put in almost 3 miles of hicking through some nasty stuff, but weather was nice, 70 degrees, and windy. Found one area that I would call a funnel, that I might try to get into and sit one evening in the next couple weeks.
20240128_135046.jpg

Picture is of some of the more open areas around one of the creeks.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #7  
What happens when you kill a couple hogs. Is there any use for a dead hog. Do you have predators that will eat the hog OR does it just lie there and rot.

I'm just very fortunate to have no hogs here in N EA WA. Our wild turkeys can tear things up somewhat. Nothing like what you folks show for the hogs in your area.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #8  
What happens when you kill a couple hogs. Is there any use for a dead hog. Do you have predators that will eat the hog OR does it just lie there and rot.
I shot 59 last year. The large boars and sows I just haul to a dump pile. The smaller pigs, up to about 85 pound max are good eating. Sometimes I'll just take the backstraps and dump the rest. I know it seems wasteful, but we just have so many of them, we need to just shoot them to contain the numbers.

They also have a pretty high prevalence of diseases, so you need to take care handling them.
TX A&M Feral Hog Diseases

The buzzards usually clean them in a few days.

Last edited:
   / Hog Hunting Public Land #9  

I'm just very fortunate to have no hogs here in N EA WA. Our wild turkeys can tear things up somewhat. Nothing like what you folks show for the hogs in your area.
Sows are actually really tasty. I also chop whole hogs into 1-2# chunks and boil it then freeze for the dogs. But I kill so many I can't use them all.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #10  
Sows are actually really tasty. I also chop whole hogs into 1-2# chunks and boil it then freeze for the dogs. But I kill so many I can't use them all.
I could see making dog food out of them. But even doing that, I don't expect it would take many hogs to make a years supply of food.