Gold Member
Tractor
NH T2320 TL
I've been looking at the following plasma cutters from Hobart:

Hobart Hobart Air Force 500i Plasma Cutter with MVP
and the
Hobart AirForce 250CI Plasma Cutter

Hobart Welders - Products - Plasma Cutters

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these? From what I can tell it looks like the 250CI has a built in compressor which I think would be nice as it's an all in one unit.

The 500i has a multi plug which allows you to use 115V or 230V which I think would be nice to give you some more power when needed. I haven't read every thing there is to read on them but I thought if someone has used either of them, they might be able to provide some real life/world experience.

/ Hobart Plasma Cutters, Good or Bad? #2  
I've tried the little hobart and it works quite well for what it is designed to do with the built in compressor. The bigger one should work fine too, though I haven't used it. One thing about the built in compressor: I have a friend with a thermadyne draggun and it has had to be rebuilt several times over the course of a few years...its oiless. Not sure about the Hobart, but I am sure they have made many improvements in minature compressor technology...Worth doing some googling on the issue with that compressor. If nothing turns up, then I'd be satisfied it was good. It has a trafimet based designed torch, something I really like. You'll find maneuverability better than some of the competition with the torch and its ergonomic design. Kerf should be quite thin.

Keep in mind on the 500, when its operated on 110, performance will be less.

/ Hobart Plasma Cutters, Good or Bad? #3  
I've been looking at the following plasma cutters from Hobart:

Hobart Hobart Air Force 500i Plasma Cutter with MVP
and the
Hobart AirForce 250CI Plasma Cutter

Hobart Welders - Products - Plasma Cutters

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these? From what I can tell it looks like the 250CI has a built in compressor which I think would be nice as it's an all in one unit.

The 500i has a multi plug which allows you to use 115V or 230V which I think would be nice to give you some more power when needed. I haven't read every thing there is to read on them but I thought if someone has used either of them, they might be able to provide some real life/world experience.

The question that needs answered first is what do you intend to cut with it?

/ Hobart Plasma Cutters, Good or Bad?
I more than likely wouldn't be cutting anything larger than 1/4", but I never know. I'm kind of new to metal working as I've only been welding off and on with a wire feed welder for a few years. So I would be looking for something that's versatile in cutting material.

I've thought about the torch setups that would cut along with heating up metal, but I always comeback to thinking about having to get the tanks filled when they run out. My brother in-law has a torch setup and it seems like it's always empty, which normally is the case as he or my father in-law don't seem to like to go get it filled. Although having to handle the tanks, I don't know that I would either.

I currently have a chop saw that I use for most of my cutting, but it would be nice to be able to have something that's portable. I also use my grinder with a cut-off wheel but sometimes that seems to take quite a bit of time and I spend a few bucks for wheels and such. Harbor Freight does cut down on the cost a little though. It would also be nice to be able to free hand per say. I just think that a plasma would be easier but since I haven't used all of the tools available, I could be wrong.

After reading numerous threads, it seems like each tool has it's place in cutting metal.

/ Hobart Plasma Cutters, Good or Bad? #5  
When they rate PC's, they usually embellish the number a little. If you need a PC to cut 1/4", then be sure to get one rated for 3/8". If you need to cut 3/8", then get one rated for 1/2". I have often heard the ones with the built in compressor's are good for sheet metal material, but not much thicker than that.

/ Hobart Plasma Cutters, Good or Bad?
When they rate PC's, they usually embellish the number a little.QUOTE]

That's pretty much what I got from reading some of the threads about PC's. So I would lean more towards the 500 than the 250. Which wouldn't make it as portable, but it would still be better than a grinder with a cut-off wheel I think.

/ Hobart Plasma Cutters, Good or Bad? #8  
Personally I'm looking at the everlast machines as well as my favorite ( miller. Ford man till I die and miller blue is almost as good as ford blue ) :laughing: I'm wiling to give others a try though. I've not heard anything terrible about everlast's stuff except from people that are totally blind and are breathing (and talking ) out their belly buttons.

/ Hobart Plasma Cutters, Good or Bad? #9  
The new Miller extremes are nice and they have teeth, that's for sure. I've put some time in on the 325 and it is as good as you can get. I don't like the torch comfort as well as the Hobarts. Miller torches are made by Hypertherm...and are not as ergonomic or manueverable. The leads are quite stiff. But the performance is excellent for its rating.

As far as the Everlast, a lot of unit can be bought for under 1000.00 enough to cut almost 1.5 inches.:thumbsup:

/ Hobart Plasma Cutters, Good or Bad? #10  
The new Miller extremes are nice and they have teeth, that's for sure. I've put some time in on the 325 and it is as good as you can get. I don't like the torch comfort as well as the Hobarts. Miller torches are made by Hypertherm...and are not as ergonomic or manueverable. The leads are quite stiff. But the performance is excellent for its rating. As far as the Everlast, a lot of unit can be bought for under 1000.00 enough to cut almost 1.5 inches.:thumbsup:

I just received my new, purchased on Ebay a new Hypertherm 45. Great deal at about $1500. I purchased a Hypertherm 45 after many searches and a desire to be made in the USA.
I wired my garage over the weekend, but have yet to use the unit. I always try to buy "made in the USA," even though the cost may be a little more. I'm planning of all the things that I can do, but perhaps I now need to now upgrade my very trusty, never failed Lincoln 125.
regards,
Steve