Hitch ball / coupler near disaster

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #41  
I was not suggesting that anyone do so. I should have been more specific and said "Make sure the ball is the correct size for the coupler".

In my case, I tow several trailers with different couplers. I often use a ball that is a size larger than what is stamped on the coupler. It works fine on the dump trailer but can be harder to disconnect.

Sorry for any confusion.
Why not just get one of those multi-ball hitch tubes and always have the right size?

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #42  
Why not just get one of those multi-ball hitch tubes and always have the right size?
I have one but I need a drop hitch. I have one for each ball size but sometimes, I'm just too lazy to dig out the right one and swap it. The larger ball works well in the trailer with the smaller coupler so most of the time, I just leave it on.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #43  
Using different size balls on the same coupler? What the.....? They are adjustable and should be almost snug to the correct size ball. A different size ball won't fit the radius inside the coupler.

Last edited:
   / Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #44  
Yep... some have multiple balls and others share one shank...

I used the share one shank multi-ball and I didn't realize the pin was missing... could have been very bad.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster
Whoa... never heard of anyone running any ball size other than the one stamped on the coupler, and would think that has got to be a little dangerous.
I have a 4x8 very light duty trailer (with wood sides) I use to collect downed branches, debris, etc. I pull it using a Polaris RZR.

The hitch ball is mismatched and too small for the trailer coupler. But I know that, am careful with it, and never had a problem.

One day my wife was helping me and made the mistake of climbing into the rear of the trailer to adjust some branches. That's when the tongue raised, it uncoupled, and since it was on an incline she went for a ride.

Fortunately not far, no damage, and it ended up with us both laughing. :D

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #46  
Using different size balls on the same coupler? What the.....? They are adjustable and should be almost snug to the correct size ball. A different size ball won't fit the radius inside the coupler.
Some couplers are adjustable, some aren't. Look for nut at the bottom of the spring below.

I agree that it isn't a good plan to use the wrong ball size. You might get away with it for a few moments, but you're playing with fire.

Having a little extra tongue weight will help keep it all together.

The couplers may wear some (the reason I like to grease mine).

I would like to see some oversized balls in case a coupler gets a little sloppy Say 2 3/8" or 2 7/16" to replace 2 5/16", yet that doesn't seem to be available.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #48  
I made the ball and hitch on my home made dump trailer...

I was working at a tool and die shop and the owner was very generous letting employees come in Saturday mornings for personal projects... the large overhead gantry crane sure made positioning for optimal welds a breeze.

This thread had me thinking years ago my neighbor brought home a small utility he had just bought and not able to uncouple.

Turns out the 1-7/8 hitch had been pound over a 2 inch ball... that was fun.

My current trailers until recently had 1" balls, 1-3/4, 1-7/8, 2" and 2-3/8

I replaced the 1-3/4 and 1-7/8 hitches with 2" which keeps things simple.
Some couplers are adjustable, some aren't. Look for nut at the bottom of the spring below.

I agree that it isn't a good plan to use the wrong ball size. You might get away with it for a few moments, but you're playing with fire.

Having a little extra tongue weight will help keep it all together.

The couplers may wear some (the reason I like to grease mine).

I would like to see some oversized balls in case a coupler gets a little sloppy Say 2 3/8" or 2 7/16" to replace 2 5/16", yet that doesn't seem to be available.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #49  
I made the ball and hitch on my home made dump trailer...

I was working at a tool and die shop and the owner was very generous letting employees come in Saturday mornings for personal projects...
To save weight, this 2" ball is made of aluminum.... :LOL:...no.....just used aluminum to prove out cnc program before using expensive stock.

aluminum hitch ball 001_1.JPG

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #50  
I know a few that tow a lot and they keep everything greased... saying it helps.
Exactly what I do. I keep the ball well greased at all times and when not in use but still in the receiver, an orange tennis ball slit on the bottom side keeps the grease off my pant leg if I happen to get too close.