Hitch ball / coupler near disaster

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #51  
I have seen a trailer with twin 1" hitches on the road in years but I did use mine and keep it registered.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #52  
I find it pretty easy to just make up a hitch / ball combo for each of my trailers, and carry that under the back set of my truck. Once you get past three trailers, you usually find that one you already have made up for one trailer will fit another, so usually we're not looking at more than maybe three or four different combinations. Right now, I actually only have two hitches and three trailers, one being a 6" or 7" drop with a 2" ball and the other being a 4" or 5" drop with a 1-7/8" ball. Both are greased, wearing a condom, and stowed under the back seat where my shin will never accidentally find them in the dark.

I used to use tennis balls, like 5030. Didn't know others also did that. Now I just buy these things for $3/ea.

Also, for those of you pulling any trailers 7k lb and greater, note that a majority of the drop hitches out there are only rated 6000 lb. So, mind the rating of the hitch, not just the ball, if you're towing 10k lb. dump trailers!

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #53  
Also, for those of you pulling any trailers 7k lb and greater, note that a majority of the drop hitches out there are only rated 6000 lb. So, mind the rating of the hitch, not just the ball, if you're towing 10k lb. dump trailers!
We have some people around here with their jacked up trucks with drop hitches that are 12"+, many with a lot of +. If I see one with a trailer I give em lots of room, especially those with the extra long drops. I know I would not pull anything heavier than a garden cart with some I have seen. Can you even begin to imagine the stresses and torque that kind of setup is being subjected to?

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #54  
We have some people around here with their jacked up trucks with drop hitches that are 12"+, many with a lot of +. If I see one with a trailer I give em lots of room, especially those with the extra long drops. I know I would not pull anything heavier than a garden cart with some I have seen. Can you even begin to imagine the stresses and torque that kind of setup is being subjected to?

And now we have to wonder if they're using the wrong size hitch ball too . . . I didn't know this was a thing!! Yikes!

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #55  
That entirely depends on how the drop was constructed and the amount of gusseting it has. I run a pretty severe drop on my F350 with no issue but I bought a drop and added gusseting to it to distribute the stress imposed by the somewhat severe drop.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #56  
I agree gussets can help strengthen the drop itself but they are not going to change the significant twisting torque being transferred to the hitch and ultimately the frame of the truck. I doubt very many even give that a thought since the receiver is it bolted under the truck out of site out of mind.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #57  
I mean, drop hitches vary; I'd question Jeffrey Brodozer's choice, but the one I've got is rather stout. This came with the truck, which was nice, because they're pricey.

20221018_134828.jpg 20221107_161536.jpg

This inspires a little less confidence.

CURT-45064-Lifted-Truck-Trailer-Hitch-Mount-with-2-Inch-Ball-Pin-Fits-2-In-Receiver-7-500-lbs-6-Inch-Drop_54934eb0-7b87-49da-9ea0-f34958b40d83_1.87d521791e6f5d969e69ff91336496fa.jpeg

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #58  
For that coupler in post 35. Look at the radius of the ball socket, and the way the flat rim tucks down under the ball radius. If there is any offset of the coupler not directly over the ball, the coupler will bind on the ball. Chock the trailer wheels tight and the tow vehicle wheels loose and raise tongue. Vehicle can then move slightly to release. Jon

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #59  
Neither your insurance company, the judge, or the jury are going to care how you gussetted your own trailer hitch, nor how strong you thought it was. Just buy the damn hitch rated for your trailer. These things aren't exactly made of gold, you can afford the appropriately-rated hitch, if you can afford the trailer.

If a prior owner left a hitch on a truck you bought, and it's not clearly stamped with a rating, then assume it's for light-duty only.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #60  
To save weight, this 2" ball is made of aluminum.... :LOL:...no.....just used aluminum to prove out cnc program before using expensive stock.

View attachment 832708
Nice!
I know this was in jest, but many of those drop hitches are made of an aluminum or aluminum containing alloy

Considering the stress to yield properties of aluminum I don't know that I'd be thrilled about owning one of those...