Hip Replacement surgery

/ Hip Replacement surgery #21  
Will let you know next week. Left hip scheduled for replacement Monday. I’ll be 74 next month.

/ Hip Replacement surgery
Will let you know next week. Left hip scheduled for replacement Monday. I’ll be 74 next month.
Good luck. I got a few years on you, I will be 80 in Sept. The part I do not like right now is having to wear the compression socks

/ Hip Replacement surgery #23  
I am 20 years into a new hip on the left side. I don’t have any issues with it and no pain. I work a very physical job on my feet at work 8-12 hours a day and then go home and farm. If I don’t tell people I have a artificial hip they can’t tell it when I walk or climb or maneuver any way shape or form. I was 25 when I got it my surgeon asked me to get an x ray a few years ago and he couldn’t believe there were no signs of wear on it. That was the first appointment since post op and he sent me a letter asking me to come see him before he retired. Cleveland clinic did the surgery

/ Hip Replacement surgery #24  
I am 20 years into a new hip on the left side. I don’t have any issues with it and no pain. I work a very physical job on my feet at work 8-12 hours a day and then go home and farm. If I don’t tell people I have a artificial hip they can’t tell it when I walk or climb or maneuver any way shape or form. I was 25 when I got it my surgeon asked me to get an x ray a few years ago and he couldn’t believe there were no signs of wear on it. That was the first appointment since post op and he sent me a letter asking me to come see him before he retired. Cleveland clinic did the surgery
IMG_2760.JPG

Been 2 1/2 months since hip surgery and it is going well walking without cane or walker still doing exercises as instructed. Only concern is now a week or so ago I mower our 5 acres with riding tractor and when my replaced hip was on down hill side i would get a sharp pain every once in awhile. Now my hip has a weird feeling and when sitting and moving certain ways I get that same pain. Hope I didn't mess something up. At my 6 week checkup dr. said everything looked good and x ray was good . Next checkup is in 2 weeks.

/ Hip Replacement surgery #26  
When my wife went through it, they told her to be very careful to NOT put any side pressure on the hip for the first year.

Maybe you could rework your mowing pattern so that the only side hill mowing you do is with the hip on the uphill side.

All my mowing is on a side hill, next to impossible to avoid

/ Hip Replacement surgery #28  
All my mowing is on a side hill, next to impossible to avoid
But to @Slowpoke Slim's point, could you be less efficient, and mow with your artificial hip on the up hill side at all times? Or hire someone to use your tractor to mow for six months or so? I realize the average Joe is going to have a learning curve on your 1845.

Ok, not an MD here, so this is not professional advice. My observation is that "toughing it out" and long term successful hip replacements are not good partners. Move around, use the hip joint, but try not load it up, and if you can "feel" something, definitely quit doing whatever that is that you were doing until you check with your physical therapist or surgeon.

Take care of yourself. Metal (or ceramic) and bone have very different properties, and it takes a year or more to build up bone strength fully. Pushing it when the bone is new, just crumbles it, and makes the whole healing process much longer, and less likely to achieve full strength.

All the best,

Peter

/ Hip Replacement surgery #29  
A couple of years ago a friend of mine was forced of the road on his bicycle. Shattered the upper leg bone. They tried to mend the bone, but that didn't work. They then replaced the hip. That was about September. By February he was skiing. Like I said, that was a couple years ago. Last year he said he was slowing down while skiing. I told him to go first and I'll follow. I couldn't catch him. This year, I don't know what he will be like as he turns 91 years old. Much of what happens with these surgeries depends on the physical condition you are in before the surgery.

mowing season is almost done here maybe 1 more mowing then I will be taking the mower off till next year.. Need to start getting some more firewood as that is our heating source. I realize it is not going to be easy watching what I do or what I shouldn't do

't'