Hip Replacement surgery

/ Hip Replacement surgery #12  
Nothing yet, but with all these leg advancements...
How on earth do the get the net leg perfect? Anyone notice change?
Do they ever adjust for previous problem (add an inch or two for instance)?
The short answer is that the orthopedic surgeons do a ton of prep work and measurements, but at the end of the day it comes down to your surgeon and his or her talent. A relative had one that came out an inch short. Lifts and a cane thereafter, but better than not replacing it.

There are a number of different designs that differ in how the new ball is pinned, or screwed into your femur, and how strong your bones are there. Many folks who need hip replacement(s) already have preexisting bone disease, such as osteoporosis, that can restrict the available options.

Still, I think it is better to do it on your schedule, not as an emergency surgery after you have shattered the top of your femur. Just my $0.02, and I'm not an MD.

All the best,

Peter

/ Hip Replacement surgery #13  
Knee on same side. Knee for me was worse pain wise and stiffening up if you don't keep at your therapy.
Reason for both knee and hip on same side was I blew my knee out at work at years previous. I was using my knee as a brace for a slow speed/high torque electric reamer. Think two handle slow speed drill. The drill was stronger than my knee and twisted it sideways. Same kind of injury football players get if they're hit in the knee sideways. Many years of cortisone injections didn't do diddly so I had to get a knee replacement. The amount of time from injury to replacement was...5 years? or so. BY then, constant limping and favoring that side messed up my hip.
NE-e-way, yeah knee was worse but still doable, If I remember right I didn't use any painkillers for either surgery. Very tight after surgery but you have to power thru it or you'll end up with a fixed knee joint.
Funny, I remember looking at my stitches for my knee thinking if I force this thing too far, is it going to open up like a melon.
Friend of mine had his knee done a couple of months back, day surgery, in in the morning, home that night.
My knee was two nights, hip both times was one night.

/ Hip Replacement surgery
Day 9 for me still have pain moving certain ways, take a pain pill occasionally but they don't really help much. Getting out side some and walking length of the house with walker or cane , and doing p t exercises 2 or 3 times a day, they say I am doing really good, just hope things keep progressing at a good pace

/ Hip Replacement surgery #15  
The short answer is that the orthopedic surgeons do a ton of prep work and measurements, but at the end of the day it comes down to your surgeon and his or her talent. A relative had one that came out an inch short. Lifts and a cane thereafter, but better than not replacing it...
Peter
That's why I ask. I was an Instrument Tech, and always wondered if they installed reference points (such as a nail here and a nail there for tape measure) or something cooler like Laser Nails.
(I do remember seeing something on Discovery Channel, oh, 30 years ago or more. Cut 2 grooves in a bent over old lady's back bones for hand bent bars to grow in so she could straighten up and breath. Their chisels (long handled half round) looked exactly like my dad's Craftsman lath chisels - exactly.)

/ Hip Replacement surgery #16  
Day 9 for me still have pain moving certain ways, take a pain pill occasionally but they don't really help much. Getting out side some and walking length of the house with walker or cane , and doing p t exercises 2 or 3 times a day, they say I am doing really good, just hope things keep progressing at a good pace
Pain is the worst for the first couple of weeks. If you do your PT religiously, you should see some big improvement soon.

I've had both hips and 1 knee replaced. I'll never do another knee. I still have pain 5 years later in the knee.

/ Hip Replacement surgery #17  
That's why I ask. I was an Instrument Tech, and always wondered if they installed reference points (such as a nail here and a nail there for tape measure) or something cooler like Laser Nails.
(I do remember seeing something on Discovery Channel, oh, 30 years ago or more. Cut 2 grooves in a bent over old lady's back bones for hand bent bars to grow in so she could straighten up and breath. Their chisels (long handled half round) looked exactly like my dad's Craftsman lath chisels - exactly.)
My understanding is that they work out from x-rays and ultrasound where they want to make the original cut, and then work from there, but I'm not an orthopedic surgeon. The other end, i.e. the knee provides a known location/distance reference for the surgery. A relative has a story of watching a surgeon pull out a makita cordless drill to set a screw just like I had in my shop. Makes a lot of sense, easy torque setting, extra light, what more could a surgeon want to set a screw?;)

All the best,

Peter

/ Hip Replacement surgery #18  
Nothing yet, but with all these leg advancements...
How on earth do the get the net leg perfect? Anyone notice change?
Do they ever adjust for previous problem (add an inch or two for instance)?

I noticed with the first snowfall that my left foor points a bit too far to the left when I walk. Not a problem but it does leave an odd track.

/ Hip Replacement surgery
Day 15 since surgery. Pain is getting a lot better, I have been doing steps some now and yesterday I did a little bit of mowing with our battery powered push mower. Exercises are getting a lot easier to do also

/ Hip Replacement surgery #20  
I had both hips replaced 5 and 7 years ago. I'm 76 now and have no pain or loss of movement. I ride a bike, use ladders and pretty much everything I did before surgery. My only regret was waiting so long to have it done.

After both my replacements, the pain subsided gradually and was completely gone after 4 weeks. I was cleared to drive after 3 weeks and resumed all normal activities after 6 weeks.

As others have said, keep at the PT! I know it hurts but you will be much better off in the long run.

My doctor said to avoid crossing my legs but I do it anyway occasionally without thinking. I've had no problems though. I was also told to take antibiotics prior to dental procedures. Seems crazy but I do it anyway before having any dental work. Some doctors say this isn't necessary, some say to do it for 2 years after surgery and others say to do it for life. Apparently, there is some debate as to whether the antibiotics are necessary but I feel it can't hurt and do it anyway.

I hope you heal quickly and by all means, take to your doctor's advice!