Highway robbery!

/ Highway robbery! #31  
That’s like what my brother posted on FB years ago. When we were growing up we are a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches made with Velveeta. About 10 years ago he asked “Have they changed the recipe of or was it always this bad?”
No Tom, that stuff was always nasty. We were kids and didn’t know better.

Besides, it tasted good!!
Not sure here but something is wrong because I never thought McD’s had anything that tasted good. Velveeta Cheese? Tasted that crap once and never again let it near my mouth!

/ Highway robbery! #32  
The price of my 6x12 doubled since I bought it four years ago. Four weeks ago I took that trailer to get some 16' pt deck boards. Price was $12.98. When I was going back to pick up a second load a week ago, same board was $25. I will use what I have from the first load and make due.

/ Highway robbery! #33  
We don't "need" inflation. It is primarily a function of money supply which is usually a government function. Prior to the New Deal, inflationary spikes would be followed by deflation and prices did not really change much in the long term. As the US government grew, inflation became a more constant pressure. Increased government spending puts upward pressure on prices. Part of this comes from the concept where government departments spend 100% of budgeted money (or more, rarely, if ever less). A business will look to reduce costs, especially in tough times. The government approach is that if Congress appropriated an amount of money, it would be inappropriate to spend less. This flies in the face of common sense.

Example: Congress appropriates $30k for a new tractor. Bureaucrat A makes a good deal with a dealer and gets the necessary tractor for $20k. Bureaucrat B has been doing this longer and either doesn't negotiate or just gets another $10k in superfluous upgrades. Bureaucrat A is reassigned to lesser role for failing to spend the appropriated amount. Bureaucrat B is hailed and/or promoted for spending all appropriated money. This system leads to more waste, corruption and contributes to inflation.

In business, you see the same example, but the manager who came in under budget is promoted and the other guy is eventually fired for incompetence.
Obviously you are over simplifying this. Your examples are representing the extremes of public and private sectors. Many large businesses such as Centurylink are much more bureaucratic and inefficient than many public organizations.

/ Highway robbery! #34  
Yes, inflation can be dependent on the money supply, but wouldn’t it also be dependent on labor and material supplies too?

/ Highway robbery! #35  
I see a correlation to the same type of problematic mindset in basically everything related to capitalism: everything must grow, always. Whats wrong with a profitable company that keeps their sales consistent from year to year? Nothing, but wall street tanks your stock price if you don't continuously strive for growth.

We need to find a way to accepting stability as "ok". A continuous growth in consumption is not sustainable for this planet.

/ Highway robbery! #36  
I see a correlation to the same type of problematic mindset in basically everything related to capitalism: everything must grow, always. Whats wrong with a profitable company that keeps their sales consistent from year to year? Nothing, but wall street tanks your stock price if you don't continuously strive for growth.

We need to find a way to accepting stability as "ok". A continuous growth in consumption is not sustainable for this planet.

There’s a name for systems (or organisms) like that: CANCER.

…with the same effects.

/ Highway robbery! #38  
Since around 2008 prices and interest rates have stayed remarkably stable. Now it's time to pay the piper.

Yes most prices were pretty stable 2008 - 2021 except the real estate, which doubled from it's recession low levels in many places.

/ Highway robbery! #39  
Obviously you are over simplifying this. Your examples are representing the extremes of public and private sectors. Many large businesses such as Centurylink are much more bureaucratic and inefficient than many public organizations.
But I don't get taxed to pay for Centurylink's bad management. In theory anyway.