Highway robbery!

/ Highway robbery! #11  
I was looking into building a trailer since I couldn't find what I need, between steel/ components (tires, wheels, lights etc.) It almost wouldn't be worth my labor time, I was even planning on building my own axle. Tire prices ate pretty high and choices are a bit limited at times.

At work we are paying about $1.25lb for carbon plate now, it's actually come down a little, stainless and aluminum on the other hand......that's getting painfull cost wise!

Welded tube and DOM is also way high still.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Highway robbery! #12  
Maybe it is time to take my aluminum cans in!

/ Highway robbery! #14  
Would have been better policy to not have arrived here in the first place.
Yep, but there has been political pressure since the recession in 2008 to keep interest rates at historically low rates. Both parties wanted this, and now we are where we are.

/ Highway robbery! #15  
cost of replacing the truck you use to pull it! Assuming you can find one, dealers are charging 20% over the already inflated MSRP in some cases!
I've read that, seems like the "market adjustment" is mostly a southern California thing. I replaced my 2013 RAM 1500 with a 2022 RAM 1500, ordered end of November, took delivery mid-Januaray, and paid 8% below MSRP plus $4,000 in market incentives. So over-charging isn't the normal.

Yesterday I read about the value of used pickups falling in value due to the higher fuel costs. Crazy times, I hope we can survive this.

/ Highway robbery! #16  
Wait until you see what the cost of steel is now. Fabricating a trailer isn’t likely to be cheaper. A friend of mine who is a steel fabricator showed me some custom balcony railing he is building for a job. He said he paid $3000 for the steel. There wasn’t enough steel in the pile to build a trailer.
Here we used to get quite decent and reasonably steel from russia. Obviously not hi-precision products, but simple things like rebar, sheets and profiles.
rebar was floating ~ 850 - 900 €/t
Now with sanctions that steel supply is stopped. resellers issue price lists valid 1/2 day and price is ~ 2k €/t

/ Highway robbery! #17  
I've got two old 'fix-up' trailers that I need to get to work on to sell.

/ Highway robbery! #18  
I've got two old 'fix-up' trailers that I need to get to work on to sell.
I’ve got one I bought 20 years ago. It needs an axle, springs and tongue which is why I never fixed it. Yet it’s a rugged 6x8 flatbed utility trailer, unlike the rolled flat steel which everybody is selling today. I think it’s time to get it fixed up.

/ Highway robbery! #19  
Maybe it is time to take my aluminum cans in!
I've accumulated several hundred pounds of scrap aluminum and have been waiting for prices to rise. Now, I'm afraid the cost of gas to haul it to the recycling yard will cost more than the scrap is worth!

/ Highway robbery! #20  
Since around 2008 prices and interest rates have stayed remarkably stable. Now it's time to pay the piper.
Agree.

I have never understood the concept of inflation from a mathematical standpoint.

You year people talking about filling up their car and grabbing a Snickers for $5. Back when decent middle class. Job was $3/hr.

Now we just tacked a 0 on it. $50 to fuel up and grab a Snickers with a decent middle class job at $30/hr.

The fact that people are making 10x more.monet today than they were 50 years ago....is that really any better when everything costs 10x as much?

Everyone arrives to make more money. They want annual raises and cost of living increases. Well the higher wages make everything cost more...and it's a never ending snowball. Higher wages....goods cost more. So people want even higher wages....then goods cost even more....on and on and on.

Like when do we reset. Currency is just a number. If we woke up tomorrow and the decimal point moved a few notches to the left on EVERYTHING....would that be a bad thing? Like why do we even need inflation? Keep prices static.....keep wages static. Again....price of foods for up because it cost more to produce. It cost more to produce because people demand more money for the SAME job.

All inflation does is devalue cash and screw retirees on fixed incomes.