High Performance Radiator?

/ High Performance Radiator? #1  

wdwurker

Tractor
4200 VXD, JD 990
I'm thinking about checking into using a High Performance radiator on my 4200 (4231TD) and was wondering if anybody else has gone that route. I have used them in race cars before, but their run time was much shorter than the Ventrac. I'm thinking an aluminum high flow radiator might allow me to watch what I'm doing... instead of constantly watching the darn temp gauge.

/ High Performance Radiator? #2  
There's a factory upgraded aluminum radiator available I think they started using them around 2011-2012...my 4231 gas was left in an unheated garage with water in the cooling system ,the copper radiator was toast,I went with the aluminum high capacity and I can't tell you if it is better because I bought the machine with the exploded stock radiator, but it sure cools great. Like any other quality radiator it's not cheap. The 31TD is a known overheater,some worse than others but either way I'd do the upgraded radiator. .

/ High Performance Radiator? #3  
That is very interesting. I was/am impressed at the quality construction of the OE radiator in the 4500Z. Not sure if hi flo or not, but quite robust. I wonder if Ventrac adopted a new design for the later model tractors? Besides, aluminum has to be less costly than copper. I let my VT get hot during brush cutting a while back when the screen was fouled (radiator under the screen fouled too) with pollen and chaff; there was a loud alarm that got my attention right quick. Pulled the throttle to idle and cut the PTO, the alarm ceased within seconds of lifting the screen with engine at idle. I need to put a soft brush in the tool kit to gently sweep the radiator in the field. That day I used my shop-vac with brush attachment to mostly clear the radiator. Back washing the radiator is quite a challenge as the fan and fan shroud leaves little room.

prs

/ High Performance Radiator? #4  
I seen they have a kit for the TD engine at the time I ordered this one,not sure if anything has changed...I found the install sheet for mine,I think this was about a 750.00 radiator, my bill was 1200 but I had alot of other parts in there like a head gasket,all filters,fan belt,thermostat,and other misc parts...I can run my machine with the screen plugged and it's never got over 190 yet,I clean the screen after every mowing, or if it gets hot while mowing, it never does though.The turbo diesel engine has a known cooling problem,more of them than not overheat on hot days ,my dealer has one that overheats after an hour of use and simply cannot fix it,he's tried everything. .idling til it comes down off 220 is the only thing that stops it..if I were you I'd be careful with that machine those engines are expensive and have a very high failure rate..even when properly maintained..

/ High Performance Radiator? #5  
The last picture has the manufacturer info...the kit for the turbo diesel is different, probably more cooling capacity. ..anyway here's all I have ,if you have any trouble with your dealer finding it , my local dealer ,Round out Valley Engine, in Accord NY is excellent, you can call him and I'm sure he will help you.
ForumRunner_20150620_114830.png

ForumRunner_20150620_114839.png

ForumRunner_20150620_114850.png

ForumRunner_20150620_114901.png

ForumRunner_20150620_114911.png

ForumRunner_20150620_114930.png

/ High Performance Radiator?
Thanks Raw... I pulled Radiator Specialties Inc. phone number off the ole internet and will be calling them Monday morning. $750. huh, WOW. I could pay someone to watch the temp gauge for a long time for $750.

But then again, I could have paid someone a couple hundred dollars a month to mow my acreage and still save money over buying this high dollar mower... but how much fun would that have been.

/ High Performance Radiator? #7  
I'll try to find the receipt I think it was around 750.. Of course that was through my local ventrac dealer. I am pretty loyal to him he has always treated me well and helped educate me on the hydraulic pumps and motors these machines have. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't know half of what I do about the Steiners hydraulics. He has become a very good friend as well as a great businessman, how often will a shop owner tell you how to fix something when it cuts into his profits . I would imagine your radiator would slightly more, it's probably a little bit thicker I wanted to get the turbo diesel radiator version for mine because you can never be over cooled, as long as you have a working thermostat. I ended up getting the normal version and I gotta tell you this thing is incredible however my dealer says the gas engine doesn't have an overheating problem.

/ High Performance Radiator? #8  
Wonder if a good local radiator shop could make up something. We used to have them made for our heavy equipment and they would leave out every other fin to reduce plugging from chaff, made a big difference .

/ High Performance Radiator? #9  
Leaving out every other fin may keep grass collection down,it will also dramatically affect the radiators ability to transfer heat..if they could compensate with a thicker core I'd be willing to try it.on my machine there's plenty of room for a thicker radiator, an inch easily, possibly 2 or more if you rerouted one hydraulic hose a little rearward. .my dealer says that water cooled turbo is a double edged sword..it adds a tremendous amount of heat load to the cooling system, an amount that was never factored in ,as the original design was a normally aspirated diesel,the turbocharger was added later on,to match the gasoline engines performance,but the engines with them tend to run hot and not have the service.

/ High Performance Radiator?
I want to update my thread a bit. OMG! What a difference! I bought the upgraded Aluminum Hi-Flow radiator from my dealer for a delivered price of $485. installed it in an hour or so, and brother... my overheating troubles are history. I have about six hours on it now (2 x 3hrs) at full throttle and plenty of slope. The temp gauge never went over 190, actually it was at 185 for most of the session. When finished mowing, the pre-screen was about one third plugged and had no effect on the cooling. I am so happy I could ... mow my neighbors yard!

I highly recommend anybody who is running with a TD engine to get one of these ASAP. WOW, what a difference.