Help with a JD X475

/ Help with a JD X475 #1  

chevy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, John Deere X739
Today I became the owner of a JD X475 Garden Tractor with a 62C deck & poly cart. I bought it from a local discount store, so they did not know much about it. The X475 is not in to bad of shape. It has a broken tail light, bad seat cushion, it only has a couple of small scratches, the digital hour meter does not work, so I have no idea how many hours are on it. It starts fine & runs smooth, the hydro works well. The tires look very good, they look original. The deck has some rust on it, but runs very smooth & quit. I need to get a manual.

My questions are.

Is there a way to read the hours that are on the tractor?

The rockshaft is slightly bent. How important is it to be perfectly straight.

What current model replace the X475?

It has been over 12 years since I have owned a gas garden tractor, so I am open to any other information anyone can supply.

DSCF1887.jpg

DSCF1889.jpg

DSCF1891.jpg

DSCF1890.jpg

/ Help with a JD X475 #2  
Today I became the owner of a JD X475 Garden Tractor with a 62C deck & poly cart. I bought it from a local discount store, so they did not know much about it. The X475 is not in to bad of shape. It has a broken tail light, bad seat cushion, it only has a couple of small scratches, the digital hour meter does not work, so I have no idea how many hours are on it. It starts fine & runs smooth, the hydro works well. The tires look very good, they look original. The deck has some rust on it, but runs very smooth & quit. I need to get a manual.

My questions are.

Is there a way to read the hours that are on the tractor?

The rockshaft is slightly bent. How important is it to be perfectly straight.

What current model replace the X475?

It has been over 12 years since I have owned a gas garden tractor, so I am open to any other information anyone can supply.
QUOTE]

I own an X485.
Taillight lens can likely be found on eBay or from Deere.
Likely no memory card that keeps track of hours.
The X475 was only different from the X485 because it had a choke carb, not fuel injection.
The X700 replaced the X475, if that helps.

The rockshaft being bent may not affect anything, as likely you can adjust the deck to perform as designed regardless.

Looks like a good purchase. Care to let us know the price you paid for it?

/ Help with a JD X475
I own an X485.
Taillight lens can likely be found on eBay or from Deere.
Likely no memory card that keeps track of hours.
The X475 was only different from the X485 because it had a choke carb, not fuel injection.
The X700 replaced the X475, if that helps.

The rockshaft being bent may not affect anything, as likely you can adjust the deck to perform as designed regardless.

Looks like a good purchase. Care to let us know the price you paid for it?

Thank you beenthere.

While I was waiting on the rain to stop earlier, I found in a google search that the hour meter will not display if the oil pressure is low. The oil level was low on the dip stick. I will go get filters & service it tomorrow.

Then the X475 replaced the 425? A 425 was my first John Deere tractor.

$2,500

/ Help with a JD X475 #4  
Thank you beenthere.

While I was waiting on the rain to stop earlier, I found in a google search that the hour meter will not display if the oil pressure is low. The oil level was low on the dip stick. I will go get filters & service it tomorrow.

Then the X475 replaced the 425? A 425 was my first John Deere tractor.

$2,500

I re-purchased a 425, as that was my first of the 400 series.

Good to know about the digital display if the oil pressure is low. I should look that up in my X485 manual. Hope you don't have an oil pressure or burn issue with the X.

/ Help with a JD X475 #5  
I have a 2005 X475 with the 54" deck and it has been a perfect tractor, you can find really nice replacement seats on ebay for $199 some even with folding armrests and they will bolt right on with no jerry rigging. I run full synthetic oil in mine since I plan on keeping it forever and I have never had engine problems. I have had to replace the fuel sending unit that is in the tank and I found it on ebay, it took me longer to unbolt everything to get to the top of the tank then it did to replace the unit itself. Lastly, if yours is anything like mine, don't try and run it to low on fuel because since it is not fuel injected it will cut out on you on the slightest angle if fuel is low. Enjoy it and keep us posted.

/ Help with a JD X475
I have a 2005 X475 with the 54" deck and it has been a perfect tractor, you can find really nice replacement seats on ebay for $199 some even with folding armrests and they will bolt right on with no jerry rigging. I run full synthetic oil in mine since I plan on keeping it forever and I have never had engine problems. I have had to replace the fuel sending unit that is in the tank and I found it on ebay, it took me longer to unbolt everything to get to the top of the tank then it did to replace the unit itself. Lastly, if yours is anything like mine, don't try and run it to low on fuel because since it is not fuel injected it will cut out on you on the slightest angle if fuel is low. Enjoy it and keep us posted.

I had a used seat & upgraded suspension that I had used on a 2210 & 2320 that bolted right on. The seat cover has the normal crack, but is in much nicer condition than the old seat.

I removed the rear fenders Saturday & was really surprised by the shape of the fuel tank. I can see how it could easily have problems with fuel pickup when the level is low. Did you replace the fuel sending unit because the fuel gauge did not work?

I bought the X475 because I thought it was a great deal. I really did not have a need for it. I thought I would fix it up and resell it, but I am now planning on keeping it. I like having a garden tractor around again.

I have spent a little under $300 for parts, including new blades for the deck & did a complete service. The only thing I do not like is not having a working fuel gauge. The non working hour meter is not a big deal, because I will not be using it alot & will be servicing it every year.

I mowed for over an hour with it today & it worked great.

Here are some after pictures. The pictures in the first post make the tractor look alot better than it really did. The owner had stored the tractor out doors for years, so the paint was very faded. It was pouring down rain when I brought it home, so the water made the paint look pretty good. The cart in after the picture gives a better indication of what the tractor paint looked like when I bought it.

DSCF1897.jpg

DSCF1893.jpg

DSCF1901.jpg

/ Help with a JD X475 #7  
Hey Chevy the seat looks good. I had to replace the sending unit because the original one stopped working, the fuel gauge started acting funny and was all over the place first and then one day when I turned the key one click I didn't hear the fuel pump working and the inline filter under the hood was empty so thats when I knew I had a bad sending unit. But since then I haven't had any issues, I run amsoil 5w30 with fram oil filters and I use amsoil grease on all fittings and gator blades on the deck. I just got done mowing today and like always I washed my tractor, I've done this after every mow and once a year I hand polish the tractor and it looks like new. Good luck and keep me posted.

/ Help with a JD X475
I use Amsoil products also. I also put Amsoil antifreeze in the X475.

/ Help with a JD X475 #9  
Are all the gauges and dash dead? Maybe an electrical problem is making the hours not show up

/ Help with a JD X475
Are all the gauges and dash dead? Maybe an electrical problem is making the hours not show up

The temp gauge works & all of the indicator lights work. Just the fuel gauge & hour meter do not work. One of the arms on the seat suspension broke today while I was mowing. I am going to remove it to repair it. While I have the seat off I am going to remove rear fenders & the sending unit from the fuel tank to test it & check the wiring to the fuel gauge.