Help !!! Wheel studs on l series

/ Help !!! Wheel studs on l series #1  

Green Acres Homestead

Veteran Member
NewBrunswick & Nova Scotia www.lostcaper.com
Tractor
Kubota L4740 sold now have a new L2502 as off Jan 2023
Nuts won’t go on studs. Threads bad. Can I screw the studs out without taking wheel off. I know there is a small flange so they only go on so far but can I back that out the holes on the rim or do I have to take the wheel off. I just put a new dish on and it was a pain.

/ Help !!! Wheel studs on l series #2  
I used a stud removal tool.
1674656607633.png

/ Help !!! Wheel studs on l series #4  
Not sure why one wouldn't use a die set. Just renew the threads with the die. That would work in almost all cases unless the stud was VERY badly damaged.

/ Help !!! Wheel studs on l series
Not sure why one wouldn't use a die set. Just renew the threads with the die. That would work in almost all cases unless the stud was VERY badly damaged.

I could try that too. Never really had great luck with that. I rather replace with new.

/ Help !!! Wheel studs on l series #6  
Thanks. And it worked without take the wheel off. I assume the tool will make it possible to put a new stud back in?
Do not use that tool to install studs because it will damage the threads. Use two nuts instead. Thread on one nut far enough so that another nut can be threaded on. Tighten the nuts against each other. Then turn the outer nut to install the new stud. Once in place grip the inner nut and loosen the outer nut. I hope your stud is long enough to do this with the wheel on.
Eric

/ Help !!! Wheel studs on l series #7  
Just some information when using a thread die. I am assuming the the studs are rolled threads and not cut threads. A thread die is really made to cut complete threads and or to repair and or add a finishing cut to cut threads. A thread die will cut out the rolled radius in the bottom of the V on rolled threads. It is hard on die and it will prematurely dull the thread die depending on the hardness of the studs. You may have better results if you use a thread file to redress/ repair the threads.

Do not use that tool to install studs because it will damage the threads. Use two nuts instead. Thread on one nut far enough so that another nut can be threaded on. Tighten the nuts against each other. Then turn the outer nut to install the new stud. Once in place grip the inner nut and loosen the outer nut. I hope your stud is long enough to do this with the wheel on.
Eric
I bought the tool to remove the stud and was wondering how the heck I am going to put the new one back in. Thanks a million.

Last edited:
Just some information when using a thread die. I am assuming the the studs are rolled threads and not cut threads. A thread die is really made to cut complete threads and or to repair and or add a finishing cut to cut threads. A thread die will cut out the rolled radius in the bottom of the V on rolled threads. It is hard on die and it will prematurely dull the thread die depending on the hardness of the studs. You may have better results if you use a thread file to redress/ repair the threads.
Thanks for the info. I'm am not good at working around stuff. I went looking for a die and tap kit. The one I found didn't seem to have the correct die. I found the stud removal tool and bought a new studs. Going to try to replace the stud. Here in Cape Breton you can't get everything and I didn't want to spend $250 on a kit that I wasn't sure would work. I do suspect the kit would come in hand because I live in a very rural area and it is an hours drive to the city. I suspect the die and tap could get me out of alot of trouble so I will try to get a kit online for cheeper. Thanks for the info.

/ Help !!! Wheel studs on l series #10  
Good luck getting those studs out, hope they don't twist off on you.
Looking at the condition of those studs I would not try to rethread them, there is too much meat gone.