Help us choose a dog

/ Help us choose a dog #51  
Yeah, I really like boxers, at least when I run into them in public. Never had any close friends or family who own one, but I do have one in the neighborhood that's very friendly.
One of my boxers weighed in at 95lbs and was a big lover boy yet people would cross the street rather than walk by him, lol.

My "old man", however, came out of a drugbust. I found that out afterwards when we discovered some shall we say bad habits? To this day, he will grouse at me if he is in his yard and I am outside of his fence. Yet, inside, he will snuggle for hours.

This is my eighth boxer by the way so yes. I like the breed.

A good shelter will always take a bad fit back. Something we have never done by the way.

/ Help us choose a dog #52  
Quick facts:

1. Semi-rural/suburban family of four with a nice big yard. Kids are 10 and 14.
2. Our last two dogs lived 16 and 20 years, respectively. They were great dogs, but as cold as this sounds... I'm not looking for another 20 year dog. I want to be retired and traveling before then! Looking for a good ~12 year dog!
3. Looking for a nice mid-size dog that's not destructive. This can't be a dog that wants to claw through the front door every time a squirrel wanders by, or one with severe separation anxiety issues when we go out for an evening.
4. House full of allergy sufferers, who are also dog lovers. Labs are my favorite (I grew up with labs), but obviously not an option, due to massive shedding and dander. Likewise with shepherds, and oddly enough... poodles! Yeah, I know, poodles are supposed to by hypoallergenic, but there's an oil in their skin that makes my forearms break out in rash. Weird. We seem to all do well with short-haired dogs, which don't have an undercoat, as the undercoat (shepherds, labs, retrievers, huskies) is what usually carries all of the dander.

Would like to just go to ASPCA or other shelter and pick something, and may still try that, but fitting all these criteria is more challenging with that route. If buying a breed, looking mostly at short-haired mid-sized dogs. Vizsla in particular caught our eye, as hitting most or all of the marks, despite having been originally bread as a hunting dog.

We live very rural. Have a house with people who suffer allergies. The only breed i recommend is a standard poodle. Our boy is 5 months old and will hit 90 lbs when fully grown his dad is a beast. really sturdy dog. Please do not go doodle (i have a golden doodle) many groomers are refusing to trim them as they are developing skin issues due to the mixing, they and we are seeing some bred in fear coming up as they age.
A labradoole made my wife break out in hives. we got really lucky with our golden doodle girl but if she is not groomed regularly my wife will break out. Our poodle boy (super smart, cant believe how smart and chill he is) has caused no allergy response in my wife. we played with about 5 puppies they were crawling all over her, no response. went through the kennels no response. go with the standard you will be really happy. You do not need to cut them weird, cut them like a doodle and your good. avoid the shelters because they are going to be doodles and may or may not cause an allergy response. Go to facebook and join some poodle rescues if you want to rescue. but after having a mess of rescues i am at the point in my life i want a known constant. I want to know health screenings of the parents have taken place etc... pm me if you want the breeders name they were in upstate ny. Best breeder I have ever delt with. I will not get another breed again, as our boy has truly won us over.

/ Help us choose a dog #53  
I've have had 3 Queensland Heelers in a row. Really like the loyalty, the wit, and the size of these dogs. Admittedly not for everybody but every cowboy's got to have a heeler. They live about 13-14 yrs although I have seen one that was 18 yrs old. Not a dog for the apt or small yard. They need a job to direct that energy.

Attachments

• tagamazoo.JPG
    tagamazoo.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 33
   / Help us choose a dog #55  
A boxer would fit your bill. I have experience with them. My last one white was exceptionally good.

I was going to suggest this as well. Short-haired breed and it's lifespan is somewhere in the 13-year neighborhood.

I've had two now and am about to get my third.

/ Help us choose a dog #56  
One thing I've not seen suggested -- look for and reach out to dog rescues in your area if they exist. If the dogs are being fostered, you'll have a much better sense of their personality as well as their habits/behaviors.

Dogs in a shelter/kennel scenario are so stressed out, and they likely don't have the opportunity to "express" issues like separation anxiety. However, if fostered those things will show up (I used to foster - had this issue with a few of my dogs), but also the person fostering is likely working with them on the issue.

/ Help us choose a dog
Well guys, the kids got into the conversation my wife and I were having about this thread last night, and they're all strongly pushing for Boston Terrier. I have to admit, that as much as I'd prefer a larger dog this time, it does hit all of the items listed in my OP, and then some. I actually had a friend who had one years ago, and I liked it a lot, so not too worried there.

I'll probably call ASPCA and some local shelters, let them know we're on the hunt for one, before going to a breeder. We don't need a show dog or AKC certification, it's just a family pet.

... and there's still no saying the right dog of another breed won't "find us" between now and when I make this happen, we've gone with the intent to buy one dog and brought home another, in the past. :D

/ Help us choose a dog #58  
You're a better man than me. I hate that breed. May as well get a cat. :)

/ Help us choose a dog #59  
Terriers. If you never had one research, research, research to make sure a hyper active yappy dog fits your lifestyle
We have a Patterdale Terrier that is a well, a handful. Constantly challenging bigger dogs. Needs lots of exercise to be livable.
A lad will ride in the truck and be good all day. The terrier needs to run alongside to be good at night. :D

/ Help us choose a dog
Terriers. If you never had one research, research, research to make sure a hyper active yappy dog fits your lifestyle
We have a Patterdale Terrier that is a well, a handful.
Heh.. you're talking to a family that's had three mini-pins, "King of the Toys", crazy little 12 pound dogs with 120 pounds of energy and attitude. Boston Terrier is a big step towards the "mellow" side, after mini-pins.

You're a better man than me. I hate that breed. May as well get a cat. :)
I dislike most terriers, but the Boston Terrier isn't a real terrier, in my mind. Definitely larger and less nutty than the other terrier breeds I've known. Heck, they're half English Bulldog!