Help us choose a dog

/ Help us choose a dog #22  
Thanks for posting! I was worried all weimeriners were too high-energy, so this is good info.
They are full of energy until about 4 years old. .. Then they calm down.
I'll ry to make this a short story, But the Weim we have now was a rescue from Tennessee. We got him and he was about 9-10 months old.
I had asked the people if he was house trained and they said OHHH NO..hes an outdoor dog.. I said.., well he won't be once we get him.
He was driven up from TN to MA in a crate in the back of a suburban. He arrived, we introduced him to our 7 year old male doberman outside the house. After about 20 minutes we brought them both inside and he was sniffing around the place. .. He had never been in a house, never seen a TV, never seen stairs and didn't know how to go up or down them, Never seen his own reflection in a window or mirror.. Never seen a couch.. His previous world was a dog house and a pen.
During his sniffing around our Dobe growled at him and he peed a little on the floor. ( he was scared ) .. That was the one and only time he ever did it in the house.. Never ever peed or pooped again after that.. Always went to the door and poked it with his nose to go outside. .. And he has since made up for lost time on the couch.. Its his favourite place

/ Help us choose a dog #23  
We have only had Australian shepherds. An awesome dog breed for their intelligence and behavior. They tend to want to live outside except during cold nights and they aren’t indoor dogs.
Aussies can be either in or outside. We have had 3 of them. Our current boy loves the back yard and helping me around the property, but he also loves to come in every night, and sleeps on a bed in our hallway. They can have separation anxiety, but in my view, this is not their fault, but poor training at the beginning. It sounds like Winter Greene is open to any suggestion. An active medium size dog from the shelter sounds perfect.

/ Help us choose a dog #24  
Quick facts:

1. Semi-rural/suburban family of four with a nice big yard. Kids are 10 and 14.
2. Our last two dogs lived 16 and 20 years, respectively. They were great dogs, but as cold as this sounds... I'm not looking for another 20 year dog. I want to be retired and traveling before then! Looking for a good ~12 year dog!
3. Looking for a nice mid-size dog that's not destructive. This can't be a dog that wants to claw through the front door every time a squirrel wanders by, or one with severe separation anxiety issues when we go out for an evening.
4. House full of allergy sufferers, who are also dog lovers. Labs are my favorite (I grew up with labs), but obviously not an option, due to massive shedding and dander. Likewise with shepherds, and oddly enough... poodles! Yeah, I know, poodles are supposed to by hypoallergenic, but there's an oil in their skin that makes my forearms break out in rash. Weird. We seem to all do well with short-haired dogs, which don't have an undercoat, as the undercoat (shepherds, labs, retrievers, huskies) is what usually carries all of the dander.

Would like to just go to ASPCA or other shelter and pick something, and may still try that, but fitting all these criteria is more challenging with that route. If buying a breed, looking mostly at short-haired mid-sized dogs. Vizsla in particular caught our eye, as hitting most or all of the marks, despite having been originally bread as a hunting dog.

A boxer would fit your bill. I have experience with them. My last one white was exceptionally good.

/ Help us choose a dog #25  
Friend of mine has a Labradoodle. Very nice dog, no odor, quiet and intelligent. Average lifespan 10-12 years.
Another has a border collie which is also quiet and extremely intelligent.
Growing up we had dachshunds, five over the years. Their personalities varied quite a bit. Our last dog stayed outside, we had a pen & heated doghouse. Golden Retreiver.
Now just a few cats.

/ Help us choose a dog #26  
Greyhound’s are an excellent choice for a 12 year dog. .

Here’s mine .
IMG_3422.jpeg

/ Help us choose a dog #27  
We too are boxer folks. Their hair has barbs and tends to clump. My wife has allergies but the boxer hair does not bother her too much. Life span is about ten years. Although our current old man is 15 maybe plus or minus. Not sure as our vet felt that he was two or three when we adopted him 13 years ago.

/ Help us choose a dog
Friend of mine has a Labradoodle. Very nice dog, no odor, quiet and intelligent. Average lifespan 10-12 years.
Another has a border collie which is also quiet and extremely intelligent.
Growing up we had dachshunds, five over the years. Their personalities varied quite a bit. Our last dog stayed outside, we had a pen & heated doghouse. Golden Retreiver.
Now just a few cats.
I should have said, Labradoodle is definitely on the short list, as is boxer! Uncle has a Labradoodle that comes with him to stay whenever he visits, and it's a great little dog. I also like Boxers and bulldogs, at least the few varieties I've met.

I think where this is headed is a trip to a shelter or local ASPCA, with a short list of "desired", "maybe" and "avoid" breeds, based on your suggestions and my own research. So, keep 'em coming!

/ Help us choose a dog
We too are boxer folks. Their hair has barbs and tends to clump. My wife has allergies but the boxer hair does not bother her too much. Life span is about ten years. Although our current old man is 15 maybe plus or minus. Not sure as our vet felt that he was two or three when we adopted him 13 years ago.
Yeah, I really like boxers, at least when I run into them in public. Never had any close friends or family who own one, but I do have one in the neighborhood that's very friendly.

/ Help us choose a dog #30  
Quick facts:

1. Semi-rural/suburban family of four with a nice big yard. Kids are 10 and 14.
2. Our last two dogs lived 16 and 20 years, respectively. They were great dogs, but as cold as this sounds... I'm not looking for another 20 year dog. I want to be retired and traveling before then! Looking for a good ~12 year dog!
3. Looking for a nice mid-size dog that's not destructive. This can't be a dog that wants to claw through the front door every time a squirrel wanders by, or one with severe separation anxiety issues when we go out for an evening.
4. House full of allergy sufferers, who are also dog lovers. Labs are my favorite (I grew up with labs), but obviously not an option, due to massive shedding and dander. Likewise with shepherds, and oddly enough... poodles! Yeah, I know, poodles are supposed to by hypoallergenic, but there's an oil in their skin that makes my forearms break out in rash. Weird. We seem to all do well with short-haired dogs, which don't have an undercoat, as the undercoat (shepherds, labs, retrievers, huskies) is what usually carries all of the dander.

Would like to just go to ASPCA or other shelter and pick something, and may still try that, but fitting all these criteria is more challenging with that route. If buying a breed, looking mostly at short-haired mid-sized dogs. Vizsla in particular caught our eye, as hitting most or all of the marks, despite having been originally bread as a hunting dog.

🤣🤣🤣OMG. Vishlas are amazing dogs, BUT they have to be in the midst of everything watching, and need to be run (miles) every day. I remember a line from an owners guide that recommended building a platform for them to jump onto to watch cooking and dining. Strong Drive, with capital letters.

I love them, but they are my definition of a high energy dog. Right up there with huskies. Talk to a few vishla owners before you get one so you know what you are getting into. All the owners that I know both run with their dogs and compete in canine agility competitions.

A relative adopted a very very short haired (1/8"?) boxer cross from the pound. Still loves going for walks and being snuggled up on the couch, but does not have the high energy of a Vishla.

Good luck in the search. Short coats also enable you to wash the dogs frequently which will keep dander (and oils) to a minimum. I have had poodle friends that kept them buzz cut to minimize hair/dander.

All the best,

Peter