Help! PowerTrac 1418 hydraulic hose burst!

/ Help! PowerTrac 1418 hydraulic hose burst! #11  
Re: Update on PowerTrac 1418 hydraulic hose burst!

Dave: Your question: <font color=red>Do hoses fail this often, or am I just having to play "catch-up" on maintenance that hasn't been done to this machine? </font color=red>
You're just playing catch-up. You knew the deal was too good to be true. Even with a couple or three hose replcements, I think you'll be bragging about it on the board for quite a while.

/ Help! PowerTrac 1418 hydraulic hose burst! #12  

My understanding is that hoses are attacked by the air and sunlight and heat and solvents. However, they are very easy to replace and not that expensive. They are also more forgiving when running to a new location VS rigid tubing.

If you decide that you really like the machine and find it worth keeping, you might want to go through all of the hoses and check them out for wear and tear. Replace any that are worn to save yourself a headache later.

Didn't you say that the unit is about 10 years old? I'd suspect it could use a thorough cleaning and inspection way down in the engine compartment. I don't know how much experience the Carquest folks have with hydraulics. You might have better luck at a hydraulic shop.

Keep us posted.

/ Help! PowerTrac 1418 hydraulic hose burst!

Hee hee hee...I'd never "brag" per se...but I am quite impressed with what I could do with this thing, particularly the digging with the large bucket. I really didn't expect something this light to be able to dig in hard, rocky, rooty soil this well! I'll get past this maintenance catch-up, especially with all the help you guys and the factory are giving me!

Best regards,
Dave

/ Help! PowerTrac 1418 hydraulic hose burst! #14  

You mentioned before that your cooling fan was not turning. Check the fuse and if it is ok check for power to the fuse after the machine is hot. The machine does not need to be running just turned on.
PTRich

Final update!

OK, I've replaced 3 hydraulic hoses, all of which rub against the sharp corner of the mounting plate where the front hydraulic pump and engine connect. No more leaks! (Or at least no more volcanic eruptions of oil!) I've found a few other things that need to be patched up, but I've got it running again. Whew! I was getting a little worried that I had provided the tea for a lemon here...

Anyway, I proceeded to pick up, unload from the trailer, and spread 2.3 tons of crush-n-run this afternoon. Life is good!

Thank you guys very much for all your help and suggestions!

Best regards,
Dave

/ Help! PowerTrac 1418 hydraulic hose burst! #16  
Re: Final update!

Glad you got it squared away.

This is a little off subject, but I noticed that you were unloading a trailer. Could you describe it for us (in another post if you wish). There are several of us that are considering trailers for the 400 series and would like very much to see what you have. Thanks.

Re: Final update!

The trailer was a simple utility trailer for hauling stuff. By "unloading the trailer", I meant unloading the gravel from the trailer, not unloading the tractor from the trailer (although I did use this same trailer to haul the tractor home!).

Best regards,
Dave