Help Please!Please!

/ Help Please!Please! #1  

BamaBoy

Just wanted start for thanking everyone here for what a great site. I'm looking to purchase a tractor within about a week or two. I'm looking for a tractor mostly for Bush Hogging(about 10 acres) and Landscaping, but can think of dozens of other usages. My local dealer made me a great deal on a L2500 which I started to purchased until I started reading about the live PTO and the new models out since then. So I was getting a few prices on the L3000....is this what you would recommend. If so what should I except to pay? I would like to purchase a tractor w/loader, bush hog, finish mower, posthole digger, and trailer(gotta help my buddies out). Is there any certain brand of attachments I should go with? Better deal buying all together? Any other models? So for all the questions. Any response would be greatlly appreciated. Let me know if you know anyone with a great deal.

Thanks Again,
Michael

/ Help Please!Please! #2  
Depends on your expectations. I mow 10 acres and would not even consider a rotary mower less than 6 ft, which in turn takes about 40 hp to run it. There is little to no advantage in so called package deals. I would buy a Kubota loader if I bought a Kubota tractor. I personally have little use for a finish mower, because my small bermuda lawn takes a few minutes with a self propelled mower and is mowed to about 1 inch height. The rotary mower takes care of everything else.

Some one with an L model can tell you more about the live PTO, but if you get a hydro, then the PTO will be live anyway. My trailer I have described elsewhere on the board, but it is good to get a 10,000 or 12,000 GVW trailer with 2 5/16 ball and trailer brakes.

Posthole diggers are available from Bush Hog and other less known brands from $350 to $800. The augars run from $100 to $350 depending on how good of one you need. A rock can tear up some of the lighter augers.

Steve Carver has a website with prices of some of the popular L models. He usually has an ad on this board.

/ Help Please!Please! #3  
I have a L2900 gst and a L3710 hst,the hst has live pto,I dont find that much of a advantage to it,Kubota makes a very good post hole digger I dig holes in all kinds of hard ground and it has not let me down yet.

/ Help Please!Please! #4  
go for the Grand L3010 GST, just bought one to bush hog my 20 acres, got it for $13540.00 using a 5' brush cutter plent of tractor for your needs and no clutch to mess with when changing gears or directions

/ Help Please!Please! #5  
Michael - I'd second Wen and Melt1350's recommendations. If you go with an HST machine, you'll thank yourself later. It offers the best combination of PTO versatility and transmission flexibility.

Mark

/ Help Please!Please! #6  
I have to chime in here to suggest that, whatever you get, I would make sure it is HST, to the point that even if they were GIVING away a gear drive/nonlive pto machine I wouldn't take it. Why? In one word, safety. There is nothing I need to do with my tractor that is worth dying for, and for me at least (and i think for everybody) the hydro is so much safer than a gear machine they are not in the same league. My dealer has a lot full of L3010's which look to me to be just what you are looking for.

/ Help Please!Please! #7  
PaulB, thank you for correcting my oversight. I don't know how I overlooked mentioning the most important advantage of HST.

Mark

/ Help Please!Please! #8  
Yeah Mark I was a little surprised too, but I figured all this "poster of the month" stuff just had you so giddy you couldn't think straight. Don't worry buddy, we little Pawns will be there to back you up when the King falters /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Help Please!Please! #9  
Actually, I think I'm spending too much time in the sun - my brain is cooked. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Mark

/ Help Please!Please! #10  
HAT!!!!
Gordon