Help Me Design/ Build a Shop

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #71  
We recently built a 40x60x14 iron barn with a plan for it similar to yours. Our primary usage is a weekender for the ranch. Apartment inside with upper and lower bedrooms, closets, a bathroom and a kitchen - all walls and ceilings are fully insulated with roll fiberglass. Floors are LVP or engineered wood. That takes up about 21x22. 4Ton HVAC - with a long trunk on a damper to make the barn a separate zone. 1" of spray foam insulation throughout the barn. Walk doors on 3 sides and big doors on each end - 12x12 & 12x14. Conduit-ed electrical and 200A service. A couple things we WISH we had thought of is to put in hook-ups for a washer and dryer. We are kicking ourselves for not plumbing that into the floor before we got started. Too late now without trenching the floor. Also, out kitchen runs out into the barn along the front wall in an open-style layout. If I did it again, I would have enclosed the kitchen so the AC would cool all the living spaces. It's hot as balls here already and the AC in the barn (and kitchen) really struggles. I dont want to put in a mini-split in the barn and adding more insulation is too expensive to retrofit, so it's going to be expensive during the summer. Some things we did get right...We polished the concrete floors and it really keeps down the dust. I also added brushes to the edges of the roll-up doors and they are a game-changer. There are no wasps, moths, flies, etc. that get in. If you are in a "safe" place, put in as many windows as you can afford. A walk door near each rollup is helpful too. Maybe consider making a covered porch. The porch separates the dirt from the inside and is a good place to grill, sit and relax, etc. Finally, budget about 2x what you _think_ it will cost!

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #72  
I just signed a post-frame contract for a 40x50x12 garage with a small shop. 12' shed along the 50' side. I really appreciate you asking the question, because I learned a lot here. I'll use the post sleeves. Probably bite that cost bullet and spray foam insulation.
My son-in-law builder just built two 60x80 shops on his farm. One is dirt floor and uninsulated for machinery storage. The one with spray foam insulation is heated/cooled with just two small mini-splits. He says it is so efficient he doesn't notice the bills. (wild Kentucky climate) Built as a farm shop, but with large windows overlooking the lake, he installed a bath and small kitchen after the inspectors were gone. It's nice enough that church bible study groups meet there year-round.
Be sure you understand your codes and inspection requirements. We learned that if it can be used for residential, the utilities won't even allow power or gas without full septic system all codes, and a final inspection.
My home is a separately owned lot surrounded on 3- sides by the farm. If the building is on that lot, there is a whole separate set of codes required. If I build it 30' from the house on "the farm" we can do most everything ourselves. (Unless we make it possible to have living quarters.)
So I'm building pretty basic, Just adding a wash sink, so no black water drainage. Conduits to the house basement for natural gas, water, electricity, and data cable for security systems. But most of that work will be done later so no inspections required. I am thinking 100 amps since I will be only using one machine at a time and the mini splits don't draw very much.

Question.. My hobby is rebuilding classic motorcycles, small trailers, lawnmowers etc. Instead of a lift or a pit has anyone tried a platform and ramp to drive these small vehicles up for service? I'm 77 and getting up and down is a little more struggle than it used to be.

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #73  
I just started building my house, and all but decided to wait on the shop. My wife and parents are on me about going ahead and building it while the house is going up.... They have a point, I really want a shop and need indoor storage for several things. We are planning on this being our retirement spot. I'm 40 and My wife is 44 so it needs to last for many decades.

My dream was a 50x60x12 red iron framed building. With inflation driving the price of the house so high, not to mention the shop price, that is not in the cards. Now hoping for at least 40x50x12. I know I can get 40' wood trusses, potentially 45'.

Proposed shop use:

1) Honey house/ bathroom with shower/ kitchenette for canning etc. This will likely be a framed out room 15x15 - 20x20 no set size but large enough for chores with A/C and ideally set up like an efficiency apartment. Initially I will rough in the plumbing for the shop construction and build out the rest over time.
2) General shop related tasks. light/ medium wood work, wrenching on random stuff, tractors, mowers, etc.
3) storage/ I bought a big shelf system from Bed Bath and Beyond when they went under. 12' tall and probably 40' long. lightish duty. no pallets but great for totes.
4) Motorcycle, mower and additional vehicle parking.

Proposed style.

A) Red iron frame - too expensive
B) Post Frame - Wood in the ground, Rot, Termites etc. Longevity? Much worry.
C) Stick built - Looks like potentially the best option for me.

I plan on getting the pad ready myslef, hiring concrete finishers, hiring framers and hiring out the metal skin installation. Planning on pulling power to a sub-panel from the house and wiring myself. I don't know anything about foundation requirements. Would prefer to add any required footing type things and pour all at once as opposed to digging footers, laying blocks, filling, then pouring the slab. There is probably around a 2' fall on the pad location so I would need to build up with the fill I set aside from my pond. It's clay and Shale, it was almost all shale but when I dug it back out for the driveway lots of the shale has broken down into clay.

I might could do a lot of the framing myself but I don't know the requirements for door headers and anchoring to the floor etc. Basically I'm not scared of hard work and can follow a plan but I don't have the knowledge for what's required.

Planning on 2 man doors and 2-3 overhead doors. At least one of those being about 18' wide.

Please help me with this. I know there have probably been several threads about this exact thing so links would likely also be helpful.
I just started building my house, and all but decided to wait on the shop. My wife and parents are on me about going ahead and building it while the house is going up.... They have a point, I really want a shop and need indoor storage for several things. We are planning on this being our retirement spot. I'm 40 and My wife is 44 so it needs to last for many decades.

My dream was a 50x60x12 red iron framed building. With inflation driving the price of the house so high, not to mention the shop price, that is not in the cards. Now hoping for at least 40x50x12. I know I can get 40' wood trusses, potentially 45'.

Proposed shop use:

1) Honey house/ bathroom with shower/ kitchenette for canning etc. This will likely be a framed out room 15x15 - 20x20 no set size but large enough for chores with A/C and ideally set up like an efficiency apartment. Initially I will rough in the plumbing for the shop construction and build out the rest over time.
2) General shop related tasks. light/ medium wood work, wrenching on random stuff, tractors, mowers, etc.
3) storage/ I bought a big shelf system from Bed Bath and Beyond when they went under. 12' tall and probably 40' long. lightish duty. no pallets but great for totes.

Proposed style.

I plan on getting the pad ready myslef, hiring concrete finishers, hiring framers and hiring out the metal skin installation. Planning on pulling power to a sub-panel from the house and wiring myself. I don't know anything about foundation requirements. Would prefer to add any required footing type things and pour all at once as opposed to digging footers, laying blocks, filling, then pouring the slab. There is probably around a 2' fall on the pad location so I would need to build up with the fill I set aside from my pond. It's clay and Shale, it was almost all shale but when I dug it back out for the driveway lots of the shale has broken down into clay.

I might could do a lot of the framing myself but I don't know the requirements for door headers and anchoring to the floor etc. Basically I'm not scared of hard work and can follow a plan but I don't have the knowledge for what's required.

Planning on 2 man doors and 2-3 overhead doors. At least one of those being about 18' wide.

Please help me with this. I know there have probably been several threads about this exact thing so links would likely also be helpful.
Suggest you look at the YouTube channel “R&R Buildings”. He’s a wealth of knowledge about pole barn building. 12 days ago they showed how to lay out the foundation and set the foundation.

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #74  
If you run the water lines under the slab, then put them inside another pipe so if you have trouble you can pull them out. … I also agree that I would put a separate service but if you’re going to put 400 on the house, I guess that’s good enough….. build it tall so you can have overhead floors for storage

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #75  
You said you may have accomodation in your shop while building your house. As an ex farmer there is a glaring omission and that is a dirty gear room,ie rain coat and leggings gum boots , snow gear and snow boots, leather work boots. It is best to have a sloped floor for ease of cleaning/hose out. Also plenty of cupboard space.

Another thing is to make sure you have a water proof membrane under your concrete floor or it will "sweat" after a cold snap, and the carpet will be clammy.

Building: is 12' high enough to be future proof?
Fire safty, most juristictions require a minimum of 2 external egress in event of fire.
Suggestion, Lay in power cable to support EV now AND have stand alone EV shed in case of battery fire.
Suggestion Due to LiON batteries burning a dedicted fire proof battery charging area may be a good idea. Ask your insurance co what they think?

Locally the most cost effective building is a pole shed with non-load bearing walls. Is it the same for you?
Adding a "lean-to" type open side extension(impliments) won't be practical at a 12' roof on the main building.
Floor: will 4" be thick enough to future proof?
Honey room: Be sure to allow for expesion and PLAN on a warm room /large cupboard to warm (not hot) honey to a temperature that is easy to work. Cool honey slows things down a lot and forget about working with cold honey.Don't cheap out on the concrete apron in front of the main shed either, you will find it is very useful for small quick jobs.

DESIGN the shed to be built in stages. This gets you the building consent and allows you to build as finances permit, while insulating yourself against policy changes.

Pay attention to the floor fall to avoid standing puddles from wet machines.
Where are you going to do wash down of vehicles?
Ensure wash down, spouting, water tanks etc discharge well away front sheds. Some people forget water won;t run uphill.
Some food for thought.
Good Luck

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #76  

Proposed shop use:

Proposed style.

This is a personal prejudice of mine - but I hate trusses. I think they're completedly wasted space. You paid for walls and a roof, might as well take advantage of ALL of the space contained within those walls and roof. I built my 28x42 barn/garage about 14 years ago - and stick framed it. I designed it in such a way that I have attic space on both ends. One end has two garage bays with 9ft ceilings and a full room overhead - and above that is attic space with about 4ft of height at the peak. The back half has the ceiling 15ft high - so I can put a lift in there. Above that is "attic" space that is over 6ft high at the peak so I can walk standing up in the entire space.

Both attic spaces are full of stuff that needed space to be in storage. If I had used trusses - that would been completely wasted space. I see a lot of houses designed these days with trusses used for the roof structure - and even though they often have 12 pitch roofs and are large houses - they have almost completely un-usable "attic" space because trusses were used. I've seen houses with what could be massive living and or attic space - designed like this and the space is pretty much completely unused because of the use of trusses.

People trade some slightly faster construction times and possibley cheaper material costs - for 100 years of wasted space. Seems foolish IMHO.

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #77  
You can have a truss designed to give open area for storage

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #78  
You can have a truss designed to give open area for storage
It still doesn't give you an open room. It gives you one that has less web pieces in the way.

I forgot to mention the other reason I don't like trusses - I don't trust them to stand up to snow load - in the long term. I live in snow country , and every time there's one of those massive snow winters the news starts filling up with stories of collapsed roofs. Trusses are strong - until they're not. Then it seems like they catastrophically fail - sort of like that imploded submarine.

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #79  

Proposed shop use:

Proposed style.

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #80  
It still doesn't give you an open room. It gives you one that has less web pieces in the way.

I forgot to mention the other reason I don't like trusses - I don't trust them to stand up to snow load - in the long term. I live in snow country , and every time there's one of those massive snow winters the news starts filling up with stories of collapsed roofs. Trusses are strong - until they're not. Then it seems like they catastrophically fail - sort of like that imploded submarine.
What do you mean by open room?
You can get an open room area like in Cape Cod 2nd flr, with trusses. Open down the middle and knee walls on the lower slope of the truss.