Help IDing Troy Tiller

/ Help IDing Troy Tiller #1  

Jeepflambe

Tractor
troybilt
Hello everyone

Recently I purchased a Troy Bilt tiller from an older gentleman. Im slowly bringing it back.
Its been painted several times so Im not sure where to find ID sticker.
He said it was a 7hp but I see a Kohler 8.
Can anyone tell me where to look for an ID?

Also it has electric start does the Bendix(pinion) have the rubber friction washer to help gears move up and make contact with flywheel?

thanks

TROY BILT.jpg

/ Help IDing Troy Tiller
I think Ive found it.
big cast letters saying SERIAL NUMBER!!

/ Help IDing Troy Tiller #3  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum JeepFlambe. We are glad that you joined.

/ Help IDing Troy Tiller #4  
It should be Kohler 8--I have one just like it, also electric start, but I use one of the other rope starters the most, lots quicker, less to keep working on them.--2 of my older ones are 7 Kohler , 2 of them, and a Tech. 6,--all good tillers. thanks; sonny580

/ Help IDing Troy Tiller #5  
I believe you have a horse model, hard to tell without a full picture. So it will be a 2 speed or 4 speed depending on how many belts you have, 1 belt is 4 speed, 2 belts 2 speed.

/ Help IDing Troy Tiller
Yup its a 4 speed horse,
Ive been working on it all day. Changed the oil in the gearbox. Man you should have seen the ugly mess that came out of that! It was actually like molasses even thicker. I tried to clean it out with a little diesel but Theres still lots of sludge and old oil coming out. I started shooting air into the top drain and even more came out. Does anyone have a suggestion on what or how I can clean it out completely?
Perhaps mineral spirits for a few days then drain? I really dont know Ive never encountered this with all the farm machinery ive been around.
thx
M

/ Help IDing Troy Tiller #7  
I would take the top off the gearbox and look inside, you might be able to scrape out some sludge that way. I would be cautious using solvents as to keep from damaging the 5 seals in the machine. I would do a little research on the oil you put in as to the compatibility with brass, some gl-5 oils are not compatible with bronze or brass. Good Luck!

/ Help IDing Troy Tiller
I would take the top off the gearbox and look inside, you might be able to scrape out some sludge that way. I would be cautious using solvents as to keep from damaging the 5 seals in the machine. I would do a little research on the oil you put in as to the compatibility with brass, some gl-5 oils are not compatible with bronze or brass. Good Luck!

Good Idea
Does it come off in one piece once the handles are off? There are no springs or gears or anything else that can fall out while Im lifting this off?
Ill be using Spirex gear oil from Shell. Its what we use in all our machinery and seems to work good so far. Its yellow metal safe btw.
After this I will be pulling the head and cleaning up valves and chamber. Id rather rebuild than repower. I love that cast iron block.
thanks again

/ Help IDing Troy Tiller
It should be Kohler 8--I have one just like it, also electric start, but I use one of the other rope starters the most, lots quicker, less to keep working on them.--2 of my older ones are 7 Kohler , 2 of them, and a Tech. 6,--all good tillers. thanks; sonny580

Wow a real collection. Im going to need to be careful first thing I know my garage will be full of them.
Cool old machines..
Carb rebuild is next after greabox flush

/ Help IDing Troy Tiller #10  

Yes, you have to use gear oils that will not damage those brass gear parts. You'll have to look it up. Mine is an older Kohler 7 Horse and I used GL-1 mineral oil, which is what the company said I should use. I believe we can now use any synthetic GL-5 oil as well as any GL-5 produced after a certain date. This is important.