Help! Can't decide which trailer, LOL

/ Help! Can't decide which trailer, LOL #1  

Midniteoyl

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7016H
So, looking for a new trailer, I ran across 3 that are the exact same price but different builds.

The 3 trailers are all 20' 14k Load Trails:

20' 'I Beam' frame w/Max Ramps and Toolbox-

20' 'Standard' frame w/Max Ramps and Toolbox-

20' 'Standard' frame w/Standup Ramps and Toolbox-

And there are also 2 22' trailers w/o toolboxes that are actually a tad cheaper, both Standard Frame. One w/ Max Ramps, the other Standup.

Questions - Besides looking way cool, how useful are the full width 'Max Ramps' vs the standard Standup in real life use? I like that they fold flat giving you a full flat deck, and they can be pinned into the upright position if needed for longer loads, but how useful is this in real life use seeing as the Standup's can be removed when not needed anyways (but then need to be stored)?

And, just how nice and useful is the 'I Beam' frame in real use? I get its suppose to be 'tougher' (8" I-beam vs double 6" C-channel), but it also weighs 500lbs more and has no stake pockets but adds more D-rings and chain points to make up for it. The extra ground clearance is nice, but I wish they would have just lowered the deck instead.

And then, the 22' Standard frame trailers are ~$200 cheaper, but lose the toolbox which isn't that big of a deal. And I had originally went looking for a 22', having a max loaded length of around 20' and wanting a little 'wiggle room' for weight and balance.

So, which one would you pick? Trailer would be used mainly to move a tractor in 'ready to work' condition of ~20ft and 5600lbs, with the occasional 30min trip for a rental skidsteer/mini-ex/boom lift/etc up to ~10k lbs, along with all the other normal trailer trips like lumber runs. I can't seem to make up my mind, LOL :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Trailer 20_ I beam_maxx_tb.png
    Trailer 20_ I beam_maxx_tb.png
    581.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Trailer 20_Standard_maxx_tb.png
    Trailer 20_Standard_maxx_tb.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Trailer 20_I beam_standup_tb.png
    Trailer 20_I beam_standup_tb.png
    568.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Trailer 22_Standard_maxx_no tb.png
    Trailer 22_Standard_maxx_no tb.png
    508.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Trailer 22_Standard_standup_no tb.jpg
    Trailer 22_Standard_standup_no tb.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Trailer I beam tie downs.jpg
    Trailer I beam tie downs.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Trailer Standard_max ramps_rear.jpg
    Trailer Standard_max ramps_rear.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 81
   / Help! Can't decide which trailer, LOL #2  
An extra wide ramp would be nice. I winch onto and off of my trailer a bit (does your trailer have provisions for a winch?) And it is always a pain to get the ramps in the perfect spot, and to hit both the front and rear wheels. Or if you hit the ramps at an angle.

However, how much weight do those ramps add? An extra 300 pounds at the far rear of your trailer?

Oh wheel placement on utility trailers was discussed in another thread. It is probably fine to have the wheels near the rear if you are towing with a 1-ton, or a small truck. But it is a major hassle if you have a half-ton (F150, 1500 series) pickup.

As far as the I-Beam vs Double C, I saw a YouTube video explaining it.

Found it.

Anyway, I've got the "Double C", or something similar. It means that the frame is half the height from in front of the front axle all the way to the back. I very much dislike that. I haul cargo on my trailer as much as anything else, and have had some loads on the rear of the trailer that seemed to cause a temporary bend in the trailer. Also, loading/unloading the trailer might bend the trailer if not jacked.

Personally I haven't used sideboards or stakes in the stake pockets, but do regularly strap through them. My straps can not fall out of a stake pocket.

Anyway, if I was buying new, I'd probably choose the I-Beam trailer.

I do have some future mods planned for my trailer which should alleviate some of the design woes.

/ Help! Can't decide which trailer, LOL
Whats funny is they list the same trailer in a Standard Frame as being 15lbs lighter with Max Ramps vs the Standups. That doesn't really seem possible, but it is what they list. The I-Beam trailers themselves are heavier but both ramp versions also list as the same weight. The sales reps I talked to couldn't give any answers regarding as to why either.

Thanks for the info on the difference between I-Beam and Double channel. Definitely want to support the rear of the trailer in any case. The Knee ramps do that, of course and the Max Ramps are suppose to as well, so thats taken care of.

The note on the approach angle and having wide ramps is also appreciated and not something I immediately thought about. I just liked the idea of 'reclaiming' the full deck I paid for when the ramps were folded up, LOL.

The wheels on trailers seem to be universally towards the rear, even in dedicated car haulers now-a-days so dont know what to do about that.

I too am leaning towards the I-Beam, even if it weighs more.. And if we are doing that, might as well go all the way and get the Max Ramps as well.. especially at the same price. An maybe the added rear weight will help with balancing the load :)

Thanks for your input.

/ Help! Can't decide which trailer, LOL #4  
I do a lot of cargo hauling on my trailer, so having open clear bed is nice. Thus the folding max ramps that create a flat extension would be nice. I don't have dovetails on my flatbed.

I also like it flat up front too, and frequently go slightly over the front, especially up the center along the tongue.

Is it possible to get the ramps stuck on the ground behind the trailer with spring sag, or does the forward load prevent that?

/ Help! Can't decide which trailer, LOL #5  
Did you pick one yet ?

I do a lot of cargo hauling on my trailer, so having open clear bed is nice. Thus the folding max ramps that create a flat extension would be nice. I don't have dovetails on my flatbed.

I also like it flat up front too, and frequently go slightly over the front, especially up the center along the tongue.

Is it possible to get the ramps stuck on the ground behind the trailer with spring sag, or does the forward load prevent that?
Dont think the ramps can get stuck..?

Diamond C has an 'extended' deck that is basically expanded metal on the tongue that allows you to extend the load there. Kills the toolbox though.

/ Help! Can't decide which trailer, LOL #9  
The mega ramps sit flat on the ground under compression, this keeps the rear of the trailer from squatting and lifting the front of the trailer/rear of the truck... much safer, and no need for rear jacks. If the ramps are hard to lift up after loaded, just drive forward a few inches. All of my goosenecks are like this, a flat bed is much better than jacks sticking up in the way.

Well, bought the I-Beam one w/ Max Ramps.. Thanks for the advice @CliffordK (y)

Attachments

• 2024_Load_Trail_83x20_Equipment_Trailer_14K_GVWR_CvA80W7j1cdp.jpg
    2024_Load_Trail_83x20_Equipment_Trailer_14K_GVWR_CvA80W7j1cdp.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 46