Help Adding a Forklift

/ Help Adding a Forklift #1  

audoguy

Hi All,

I am sure this has been asked before, but I am trying to add a rear, three point, forklift to a Ford compact tractor (1710). It is a single cyclinder with only one connection. I currently disconnect the "bucket dump" output, connect the forklift htere, and chain the bucket to the arms to operate the forklift. This works fine, but I have grown weary of loosing usage of the bucket with the forklift connected and all of the other issues that come with this implementation.

The current control valve has two sticks, four connections for the loader, and three connections going back to the tractor.....

I am looking for guidance on a three stick valve and how to connect it if anyone can help.

I have attached a schematic of the tractor hydraulics from the manual and a (not so good) picture of the current valve.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Tractor Loader.pdf
    330.5 KB · Views: 134
   / Help Adding a Forklift #2  
If you want a three spool valve on the back to handle the forklift, and your current valve does not have PB, then obtain a three spool valve with PB and connect the pressure hose form the pump to the new valve IN port first, and then run the PB out from the new valve to the loader valve.

So now, the pump flow would be like this. Pump, 3spool remote valve, loader valve, and then to tank.

You could also use a diverter valve to divert the curl hyd to the forklift. Your curl circuit would then control the forklift.

Do you only want the forklift to move up and down, and not tilt?

/ Help Adding a Forklift #3  
The 'D' port in your schematic is the power beyond port of your existing valve. You could add a single spool, double acting, spring centered, open center valve with a power beyond port to the power beyond circuit from your existing valve.

Or it may be cleaner to replace your existing valve with a three spool, double acting, spring centered, open center valve with a power beyond port if your fork lift only has one cylinder. You will need to get one spool for your loader boom with a detented float position to replicate the functionality of your existing valve.

This series of valve here has a variety of spool option that will allow you to configure the valve you need Surplus Center - 3 SPOOL SV VALVE OPEN CENTER W/POWER BEYOND

/ Help Adding a Forklift #4  
Stonehaller,

Do you know for sure that D is a PB port?

Sure it goes to the 3pt, but you would not normally tap into the D port for a another valve. The back pressure rating on most valves is only about 250 to 500 psi.

Like I said and you said, the hyd flow should go through a valve with PB in series with other downstream valves including the current FEL valve. .

/ Help Adding a Forklift #5  
Do you know for sure that D is a PB port?

It does say that the D port is 'Pump Pressure to Three-Point'. There is a separate drain port, C, labeled 'Return to Sump'. I would assume that D would a power beyond port that is powering the three-point lift. If you flow the flow diagrams, return oil from the loader cylinders goes to the C port. Am I missing something?

/ Help Adding a Forklift #6  
It does say that the D port is 'Pump Pressure to Three-Point'. There is a separate drain port, C, labeled 'Return to Sump'. I would assume that D would a power beyond port that is powering the three-point lift. If you flow the flow diagrams, return oil from the loader cylinders goes to the C port. Am I missing something?

Thats the way I see it also.

/ Help Adding a Forklift #7  
You are both right. I saw that but was not sure.

He even said he had 7 lines connected.

/ Help Adding a Forklift
Hi Guys,

I use the three point lift itself for tilt. It gives enough tilt, so I can live with only on valve that has "power/pressure" in one direction and allows "the cylinder to drain" in the other.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Let me take a look at exactly what I have and see if I "have a good grip" on the suggestions in light of what's on there.

More to come. Thanks for chiming in so fast:)

Audo