Hearing protectors

/ Hearing protectors #1  

fishman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910; Kubota T1670
A recent thread on noisy tractors prompted this post.

To those of us on TBN who enjoy the shooting sports or other activities with intermittent, loud noises, I recommend trying one of the many electronic ear muffs out there. I especially like the ones that "compress" loud sounds instead of "suppressing" them. The difference (don't ask me how it works, somebody else will surely know, though) is that the ones that compress the sound don't shut off all noises when a loud noise (greater than about 83 db) is encountered. Therefore, if your walking through the woods and step on a stick, you can still hear other sounds just fine when that loud noise is suppressed. It's amazing how many noises exceed the minimum. Noises that activate the unit also include clapping, racking the slide on your shotgun, coughing, you get the picture. The volume of normal conversation can actually be increased as well, which is an advantage if you're hunting with a buddy and need to keep talk to a minimum.

I've tried the Peltor (suppress only), the Pro Ears (compress) and the Remington 2000 (compress). Of the three, I would not recommend the Peltor for hunting applications, although the unit is of good quality and works well at the range. The Pro Ears is pricey ($165) and works nicely, but for $100 at Wal-mart, the Remington 2000 is the buy. It has identical specs to the Pro Ears, and I actually find that it is more comfortable and lighter.

I haven't actually tried them while using the tractor, as a combo helmet/face shield/muff that I have works great. I doubt that they would operate satisfactorily, but after the holidays, I'll provide a report.

Does anybody have any experience with other models? Those that fit in the ear canal look like they would be "the berries" but are way pricey.

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ Hearing protectors #2  
While I haven't bought any, I did have the chance to try the Howard Leight "Leightning" muffs. Very impressive. The salesman nearly had me until he said they retailed for $235, but he would discount them to me for $200, wow what a great guy!

I'll have to check out the Remington 2000 after Christmas.

8-72214-signature.jpg

/ Hearing protectors #3  
I don't find heavy engine noise, nor implement driven noise to be something I want to eliminate.

In fact, IMO, our machines/gear have a language that we should be well advised to listen to. Understanding their language helps keep us safe, our machinery intact, and will go a ways to help us accomplish the various tasks we undertake.

Just my opine.

Doug

/ Hearing protectors #4  
i agree on listening to our machines, so that is why i dont listen to music while working or even while plowing in my dump. but, i do wear ear protection on the tractor and i still hear it very well just not quite as loud. i also wear them while using the chainsaw, and once you start you wont go beack.

James "woody" Mills

/ Hearing protectors #5  
As some who has permanently damaged their hearing, take it from me, get hearing protection and use it. It doesn't stop you from hearing anything. It just stops the pressure of the sound from smashing your eardrums. And I don't want my hearing to get worse. I've never seen any electonic hearing protection. Does anyone have any links to post? I personally use two sets of David Clarks that I have had for over 18 years and they are still comfortable and not worn out.
Model 10A
Model 19A

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-85239-int2500b.jpg

/ Hearing protectors #6  
The best hearing protection is the disposable soft foam type ear plugs that insert into the ear canal,the ear muffs do not offer as much protection from noises as the soft type ear plugs.
I use Pura -Fit 6800 made by Moldex-Metric Inc in Culver City California, 200 hundred pairs of plugs per box.Why waste money on expensive hearing muffs when these ear plugs do a better job and are much more comfortable?

/ Hearing protectors #7  
I just turn my hearing aids off... -:( To much Rock and Roll in the 70's.

Gary.

/ Hearing protectors #8  
I find that after a while, my ear canal starts to hurt with the little foam ones. Also, if your hands are dirty, you have to go inside and wash your hands before you can roll them up between your fingers to stick them in your ears. I do keep a few packs around though, for those occasions where I want to wear a big warm winter hat. The hat won't fit over the ear muff style very well, and in Granny Clampett's words, "you look like a goomer"./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-85239-int2500b.jpg

/ Hearing protectors #9  
Although the idea of listening to your machinery is a great idea I have to say that you need hearing protection. The reason men have more hearing loss than women is because of their exposure to machinery. The most common cause of hearing loss is loud noise, which is totally preventable. You can use ear protection that will still let you hear the machinery just not as loud which will lower the db and thus save your hearing.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Hearing protectors #10  
Yes I have some Hearing loss. I've had it since my youth. Most Of my working life has been spent in ++ 80 decibel environments. I wear ear plugs plus ear muffs. Listening to equipment for strange sounds is actually easier with the ear protection. Not only that the muffs keep the ears warm.
Egon