Hearing protection

/ Hearing protection #41  
While the reasons for hearing loss and the types of hearing loss (frequency sensitivity, audio levels) vary widely, there are few if any workable hearing aid solutions for most of us, thus the resistance. I've tried hearing aids from $50 to over $4k and they all have the same issues, as you move around in different environments, for example, outside, the cab of your vehicle, an event, a family get together, a store, and areas with echoing, etc. Each area change requires an adjustment to the hearing aid, some offer a Smartphone app that just adds additional complexity while others have super-micro buttons you try to find and push. It is non-stop and most of us simply fall to exhaustion.

In my case, I lost all hearing and inner ear function on my right side, and loss of frequency ranges in my left ear, both from the results of septic shock. I tried hearing aids but just got tired of constantly having to adjust them for the environment I was in. My ENT doctor told me the only thing I can do is protect what hearing I have left. I use an in-the-ear solution, a forestry helmet, or Worktunes if I don't need to wear a hat.
I also have issues with varying sound levels in different environments. Like you, I've tried many different hearing aids with limited success.

I recently found these from Eargo:

They automatically adjust to different environments, are nearly invisible and can be individually programmed via an app. Like all quality hearing aids, they are expensive and far from perfect but these are the best I've used so far.

/ Hearing protection #42  
My hearing useless in the higher ranges but I know why.

As a youth I worked in a tin can factory where they has miles of cans rattling around 24/24 and punch presses thumping all day.
Then I used old chain saws a fair bit.
I followed that by flying some 4000 hours in a small aircraft.

However my hearing is still quite good in the lower ranges but forget highs.
Covid has not helped as I do depend on a combination of lip reading and sound.

My worst is my MD who's voice range over the phone is but a garbled mumble.

TV poses some problems if sound synchronization is off or the actors have non American accents. Amazing how lip reading is part of the hearing.
My 'work around' is wireless headphones so that I can select a higher volume.
That came as a suggestion from hospital clinic.

Professional testing at the hospital clinic was very interesting.
The Md that tested me said I was fortunate to have used the hospital vs a franchised clinic as they for sure would not let me go without spending a ton of $$'s.
That was some 5-6 years back and I'm still 'aid less' and coping very well.
I learned to ask some to please use a face shield rather than a mask in a few critical conversation situations (like @ medical clinic).

OK as one approaches the mid '80s he expects a few short comings and adopts a few 'workarounds'.

/ Hearing protection #43  
TV poses some problems if sound synchronization is off or the actors have non American accents. Amazing how lip reading is part of the hearing.
Yeah, I have the same issues with tv. Besides accents (even a southern accent can be hard to follow at times), many actors kind of mumble their lines, and there's almost always some sort of background music that can bury the dialog. The news is usually fine, no background music and the anchors usually announce better.
I too use headphones at times...they seem to have better "voice range" response than the speakers we have on the tv.

Some of this is age-related, others not. I've always had trouble following a conversation in a crowded room...all the background conversations, radio/tv playing in background are tremendously distracting. For whatever reason, I have better comprehension using my left ear than my right, in these situations I'll often tilt my head a bit to favor that ear. I do explain this to whoever I'm talking with so they don't think I'm looking away while they're talking.

Wife occasionally nags me about getting an aid, but I don't see how one could improve this situation.

/ Hearing protection #44  
"Wife occasionally nags me about getting an aid, but I don't see how one could improve this situation."

I probably would not as most aids amplify everything so the amplified noise still drowns out that voice you wanted to hear.
Like wearing an aid in a bar would probably drive you nuts.

Some training for close kin helps; like speak in the direction of the impaired and not while looking the other way.
Like in a car look at the impaired while speaking and not out the side window.

/ Hearing protection #45  
That came as a suggestion from hospital clinic.
For those of us that have difficulty pulling out voice tracks over what seems to be an equal music level, look into soundbars made by ZVOX. You can find them on Amazon and they work, work very well. I easily hear the voices over the music.

/ Hearing protection #46  
+1 on the Zvox. I have the SB440 and it was the best solution for TV listening. The dialogue emphasis feature brings out the speech without amplifying background music & noise. Now I don't have to turn up the volume to the point where it's too loud for others.

/ Hearing protection #47  
"Wife occasionally nags me about getting an aid, but I don't see how one could improve this situation."

I probably would not as most aids amplify everything so the amplified noise still drowns out that voice you wanted to hear.
Like wearing an aid in a bar would probably drive you nuts.

Some training for close kin helps; like speak in the direction of the impaired and not while looking the other way.
Like in a car look at the impaired while speaking and not out the side window.
A lot of hearing aids now have Bluetooth ability and you can use a remote mike that the other person can wear with a cord around their neck or just clip on their clothing. I found that using the remote mike worked great in situations like a restaurant, Also the mike is directional, so it mostly just picks up the wearer's voice.

/ Hearing protection #48  
+1 on the Zvox. I have the SB440 and it was the best solution for TV listening. The dialogue emphasis feature brings out the speech without amplifying background music & noise. Now I don't have to turn up the volume to the point where it's too loud for others.

I'll try it. I'm just about ready to try anything. My hearing is OK in the lower ranges but nothing more than a garble in the upper ranges. So while I can talk to some of my buddies in a crowded bar, I can't hold a conversation with my wife in a quiet restaurant.
rScotty

/ Hearing protection #49  
My solution to improving our TV audio was to add this AV receiver that accepts audio output from our TV over HDMI and then outputs to Boston Acoustics A400 stereo speakers. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha...heater-receiver-black/6198554.p?skuId=6198554

Even with this system, some of the TV audio is just not good. There's still the issue of low dialogue and overpowering sound effects because it was mixed that way for broadcast. It is possible to add a compressor/limiter into the system, but what we do is to display captioning. (Most newer TV sets do this.).

This helps a lot because we can turn down the volume and still get the essence of whatever is being spoken in spite of the broadcast mix.

/ Hearing protection #50  
My solution to improving our TV audio was to add this AV receiver that accepts audio output from our TV over HDMI and then outputs to Boston Acoustics A400 stereo speakers. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha...heater-receiver-black/6198554.p?skuId=6198554

Even with this system, some of the TV audio is just not good. There's still the issue of low dialogue and overpowering sound effects because it was mixed that way for broadcast. It is possible to add a compressor/limiter into the system, but what we do is to display captioning. (Most newer TV sets do this.).

This helps a lot because we can turn down the volume and still get the essence of whatever is being spoken in spite of the broadcast mix.
I looked for a device like this that could be inserted into the audio stream but never found one, that was a year ago. The best solution and one that works is the ZVOX soundbar. I bought the AV157 for my TV and the AV100 for my computer sound system. The only downfall is both soundbars respond to the same remote signals. If you are using both soundbars in the same area, well.

The problem I had with closed captioning is the speed the text was displayed, sometimes faster than what I could read. It seems not all content has the same closed captioning format, some were one-line text boxes while others were three-line boxes.

If you do find a device that will bring out the dialogue please post back, I'm interested.