Hearing protection

/ Hearing protection #32  
forestry helmet.jpg

Since I am working around or in trees I always wear this while on tractor

/ Hearing protection #33  
When I am just doing general tractor stuff I like to be able to hear whats going on around me.
I wear this (Howard Leight Quiet Band Supra-Aural Banded Earplugs, NRR 25) around my neck all the time. My wife calls it my tractor bling. These are great for tractor work and still lets me somewhat hear whats going on.

For loud sawing etc I use over the ear muffs

/ Hearing protection #34  
I like the 3M Peltor muffs. They come in a number of dBs of attenuation and there's also a couple Worktunes models which have ways of playing music.

The higher dB ones have deeper cups. At least for my ears and the muffs I have, the high dB regular ones are more comfortable than the Worktunes. Those press on my ears and become uncomfortable after a couple hours.

/ Hearing protection #35  
I've got the ISOTunes Pro https://isotunes.ca/collections/hearing-protection/products/isotunes-pro-2 , After trying half a dozen or so different types, (I've got odd shaped ear holes I guess LOL) I've found them the best, they block noise and have good audio and don't hurt my ears after wearing them for a day. Battery lasts over a day and they aren't bulky. Only complaint is the actual earpieces are expensive for what they are and you have to be careful not to split the inner piece.
I've also got a pair of ION earmuffs, ION Audio Tough Sounds | Battery-Powered Bluetooth-Enabled Noise Reduction Headphones For Superior Hearing Protection with Hands-Free Calling and AM/FM Radio : Amazon.ca: Electronics they too are comfortable but they make my head sweat and are bulky. On the positive side, they are very good blocking noise also and the sound quality is excellent...........Mike

/ Hearing protection #36  
I don't get on a tractor without a set of my Elgin Ruckus (I prefer the "discord" bluetooth as it can take and make calls) earpiece/earbuds. OSHA compliant 25db noise reduction isn't the absolute best, but it's plenty for me and I forget they're there. The quality of speaker is such that I prefer them for PC gaming and movie watching as well. Be smart friends.

/ Hearing protection #37  
I use 3m EEP-100 "electronic earplugs". Lets me hear conversations, and has earplug-level noise protection. I use https://www.amazon.com/EEP-100-Rechargeable-Construction-Manufacturing-Maintenance/dp/B07P8YDBZD . They make a version with bluetooth audio (for your music) as well - and I see on amazon several companies with similar.

to answer your question which I think is about normal consumer noise-canceling: **NO** these will not protect your hearing unless specifically stated to do so. The typically noise-cancellation tech replays the sound you hear "backwards" (inverse) which "cancels" it - but this isn't perfect and it's an unknown how much energy is getting to your ears.

Another option is to use normal foam (nearly free) earplugs, and when you want to hear music use a "bone conduction" headphone set like aftershokz.

/ Hearing protection #38  
I am becoming more concerned with my Tinnitus I have had for years. It seems to be getting worse. Seems like sitting on a tractor running a brush hog can't be good. I am using just ear muffs now. Are any of you using the noise cancelling head phones with music? Would these provide good ear protection?
This type thread seems to come up every year.
As I've written before I've been using some form of NC headphones w/ music for nearly 40 years. I've gone through 2 pair of worktunes, several off brand, but have decided on using good BT earbuds in good Noise Reduction Safety Ear Muffs drawing off music/radio on my cell phone or other device. One of the problems I found was that when I had 1 good pair /edit - of noise canceling with music/ they were rarely where I needed them and I couldn't afford to keep lot's of pairs.
Good muffs come up for sale every so often and last for years. I had been buying Howard Leight, but they got expensive.
I can usually just cram the buds in the foam of the muffs. I try to keep a pair of muffs near all equipment that makes enough noise.
So I've pairs with each tractor, my chainsaws, the brushcutters, the power washers, the lawnmowers. my sawmill. And I keep few pair of BT earbuds handy.
Sight and hearing are very important, protect them well.

Last edited:
   / Hearing protection #39  
I know people who don't want to wear hearing aids. They say that they would rather die. And I don't understand why. First, there is a wide choice of hearing aid supplies online, and it is possible to choose even those that are completely invisible. Second, it is better to hear (or am I wrong?). I want to say that it is better to learn from the experience of others. Be careful and take care of your hearing.
While the reasons for hearing loss and the types of hearing loss (frequency sensitivity, audio levels) vary widely, there are few if any workable hearing aid solutions for most of us, thus the resistance. I've tried hearing aids from $50 to over $4k and they all have the same issues, as you move around in different environments, for example, outside, the cab of your vehicle, an event, a family get together, a store, and areas with echoing, etc. Each area change requires an adjustment to the hearing aid, some offer a Smartphone app that just adds additional complexity while others have super-micro buttons you try to find and push. It is non-stop and most of us simply fall to exhaustion.

In my case, I lost all hearing and inner ear function on my right side, and loss of frequency ranges in my left ear, both from the results of septic shock. I tried hearing aids but just got tired of constantly having to adjust them for the environment I was in. My ENT doctor told me the only thing I can do is protect what hearing I have left. I use an in-the-ear solution, a forestry helmet, or Worktunes if I don't need to wear a hat.

/ Hearing protection #40  
I just stumbled on this and guilty of the tough guy approach when I was a young man. A Continental Twin turbo V-12 can be a tad noisy. But one thing is sure, shooting in a "house" or through baffles with unsuppressed rifles can be worse. I have found through trial and error that replacing batteries or being forgetful( leaving them on) can be a pain. If I can I double up on ear pro and my go to because of expence is a set of Sure Fire mechanicals, no battery and a noise reduction baffle unless plugged.
EarPro | SureFire

On top of those during range time I add a set of Howard Leight Impact noise reduction low pro muffs.
https://www.howardleightshootingsports.com/