Haying

/ Haying #31  
Kensfarm, I have been busy with designing some special items for someones. Things here are ok. Wish same there.

This equipment, called "rake ripper"?, cuts and collects the hay/grass/lentil/cummin/etc. Cutting is done by sickle knive system (same sickle bar mower system is used) and those rotating wooden bars collect the cut hay on the platform. Attached picture shows the equipment. I am going to attach another one in action.

Attachments

• 513408-cut-rake1.jpg
    513408-cut-rake1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 251
   / Haying #32  
as seen in this picture, you don't have to buy a mower, a rake and a baler to get rid of the hay in your small field. This "rake ripper?" will do the work.

Attachments

• 513411-cut-rake2.jpg
    513411-cut-rake2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 250
   / Haying #33  
How fast do those rakes rotate?

/ Haying #34  
And just how is the hay supposed to dry without molding?

/ Haying #35  
These machines were designed in the 1880's and were horse drawn and driven from the wheels. They were used to make hay shocks. This is not cutting edge technology.

/ Haying #36  
<font color="green">They were used to make hay shocks </font>

Basically putting up straw. You sure couldn't make real hay this way. I would imagine it would take forever to do it this way. I don't see a tying mechanism so you would have to go out and hand tie every bundle.

/ Haying #38  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How fast do those rakes rotate? )</font>

Don't know its rotation speed exactly. I know its linear/moving speed and it is about 4 mph or 360 ft/min. Roughly assuming the middle arm is 3 ft length, then it should rotate at 120 RPM. This is the magnitude if there was 1 arm only. In this equipment, it has 4 arms that will sweep the 360 deg. circle. So, 120/4 = 30 RPM approximately. Depending on the tractor speed, this can be considered 20-40 RPM.

Note that this equipment is not for those who want to bale the hay for their animals. The original poster asked us how to get rid of the hay out of his field. To my understanding, his intention is cut the hay and get rid of it out of in his small field, not to bale/sell the hay. So, why cutting/moving, raking and baling using 3 different implements? (of which one of them (baler) is expensive.) Not necessary at all. By the way, manufacturer of this equipment is also manufacturer of those sickle bar mowers being sold there by Agri-Supply, CCM and Sweet Tractors. This equipment is a combine "rake + sickle bar mower." If you already have a sickle bar mower, just add some rotating tines to it yourself so that you will own a similar equipment for a low cost. I am giving idea for no cost. You owe me a lunch with a bottle of wine.

/ Haying #40  
RichZ,
Just be careful of a retailer that sells only one or two items in the Hay Equipment line of implements. Look for a complete line dealer that sells mowers, rakes, tedders, and balers. These jockey down on the farm lots usually do not have the support system or parts inventory needed. Some jockey dealers just stay down on the farm and never attend, farm shows, service schools or dealer meetings. The stability of a dealership is in question if it has sold 4 different tractor brands in the last five years and now is pushing lawn mowers as their main line. Also you might look for a dealer that sells a noted quality line of domestic products as well as imported implements. We live in a world market and there are good products made all over the world. These same dealers say the goods of XYZ country are substandard when they have never been out of their heart county forts and have no idea what quality is. These dealers depend upon then next jockey MFG to come along and the dealer's can only preach about how good that new MFG's paint is not the quality of service the machine delivers.