Haying

/ Haying #1  

Jim_C

Tractor
Kioti DK45
Since I am new at all this farming (start next spring) and want to minimize misteaks (hehe) what implement do I buy for my DK45 to cut hay.

As Always thanks for the help

Jim

/ Haying #2  
How much hay?
There has been much discussion over whether CUTs can or can't handle the stress of larger PTO driven implements like mocos and balers. I brought this up to a JD and a NH dealer when I was shopping a few years back and they both recommended a utility tractor over a CUT.
Not being familiar with KIOTI, I am not sure whether it's a CUT or just a UT.
You can buy a fairly decent sickle mower in used condition. They require little maintenance and are easy to use. Of course, you will need a tedder and a rake. A tedder will beat up alfalfa a little, but works exceptionally well with timothy and clover. You will also need a baler. Again you have the PTO debate and the volume of hay question. I would suggest an older New Holland Hayliner. They are reasonable in price and are virtually indestructible.

/ Haying #3  
How many acres, what kind of hay, what is the terrain, are you going to cut, rake, and bale or just cut, etc. We need alot more information and it would really help if your profile was filled out.

/ Haying
Sorry I guess I was just being lazy so my profile is now updated. My guess as to your question about acreage to hay would be about 10 to 15 early on decreasing in the future to about 5.

Thanks for the input it does help and I need all the help I can get

/ Haying #6  
Hiya Jim,

You are in exactly the same situation that I am. We currently have 10 acres in alfafa hay that we cut and bale for our horses. What we decided to do was to hire out the cutting raking and baling operation. We get between 120-150 bales per acre, three times per year. Our average bale cost comes out to around $0.70 per bale, putting our haying cost at a maximum of about $3150.00 annually. This sounds like a lot, but for us it is favorable compared to the cash investment we would have had to make for a larger tractor, mower (sickle, discbine, haybine, conditioner/mower?), rake, tedder (?), baler, wagons, elevator, maintenance, fuel and whatever else I forgot.

This is more of our story, and not an answer to your question. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

My questions to you are:

What are you planning to do with the hay? Personal use? For sale? If you are using the hay for sale, then it will take a long time to amortize the equipment purchase. If you are using the hay for personal use, the it will take even longer to amortize the purchase.

Dave

/ Haying #7  
Hey Jim,

I have 75 acres of good hay land and I can buy hay cheaper than I can grow it. I've gone from baling my own hay to paying somebody else to bale my hay to now just leasing the fields and buying all my hay. Now when the hay gets rained on after cutting it ain't my problem, and I don't own any hay equipment that breaks down when it's hot as blazes and when you need it most and that uses up scarce shed space in the off season.

I know this wasn't your original question but I've been there and done that and threw away the t-shirt! Good luck!
Gabby

/ Haying #8  
Unless you really want to make your own hay I would have someone custom bale it for you since your going to be reducing the amount as you go. Just by yourself a good brush cutter for the times you need it.