Hay sled demand?

/ Hay sled demand? #1  

Joe Batt

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1250
I built a prototype hay sled to move round bales that are too heavy for my MF1250. I'm having a 3rd year engineering class engineer something that should hold up much better. There is a local student run high school fabrication business that I plan on talking to about listing them as a product. If interested, you would be buying from them, I'm just facilitating the project.

The sled worked well for me. It didn't tear up the field and reduced my number of trips. I expect the final sled to carry 4 bales. How many folks are in my position with one tractor that is just a bit too small for hay?

Any thoughts on requirements that I should give the student engineers? How many bales? I'm targeting a 30 hp tractor. The hitch point should be high enough to use the 3 point hook without dismounting. Light enough to put on a trailer with a couple of guys. Short enough to trailer on a car hauler (maybe it's two sled chained together?). Maybe a rear set of wheels so it would work as a poor man's low boy.

20230801_192546.jpg

/ Hay sled demand? #5  
If your tractor cannot handle the bales you use, either get a bigger tractor or use small bales.

It the trailer pushes your tractor around, you need a bigger tractor or a lighter load.

A sled may seem like it will solve a problem, but you had better be working on flat ground. You are still pushing that little tractor beyond its capacity and it is just a matter of time before the load turns and takes the tractor with it.

/ Hay sled demand? #6  
If your tractor cannot handle the bales you use, either get a bigger tractor or use small bales.

It the trailer pushes your tractor around, you need a bigger tractor or a lighter load.

A sled may seem like it will solve a problem, but you had better be working on flat ground. You are still pushing that little tractor beyond its capacity and it is just a matter of time before the load turns and takes the tractor with it.
That^

Farmers have been killing themselves since the begining of time doing the best they can with what they got…until it doesn’t work.

/ Hay sled demand? #7  
HOW ABOUT SOME ENCOURAGEMENT INSTEAD OF DISCOURAGEMENT?!

Tractor looks plenty big to pull those four bales with a sled.

Innovative thinking and cool that your engaging with the local high school welding class.

/ Hay sled demand? #8  
I would never encourage my kids to do something that is likely to end up getting themselves or someone else injured or killed.

While it is laudable to think outside of the box, this one is dangerous. I would encourage people to work with kids on projects, but not this one. If I was the shop teacher, the assignment would simply be to critique the design. If none of the young ones could see the issue, it becomes a teachable moment. If they are high-tech, they could probably do a 3D model that would illustrate the instability of the design under many common situations.

There are 30 HP tractors that can safely lift a bale to trailer height. A 2515 can lift 2200 lbs to full height. It is also 3000 lbs without loaded tires. It would have no problem loading round bales on a trailer.

/ Hay sled demand? #9  
But my tractor can not lift the bales and I can't roll bales onto that wagon.
Then use square bales. I mean, if you can't load them in the field, can't handle them at home...what's the point?

/ Hay sled demand?
I would never encourage my kids to do something that is likely to end up getting themselves or someone else injured or killed.

While it is laudable to think outside of the box, this one is dangerous. I would encourage people to work with kids on projects, but not this one. If I was the shop teacher, the assignment would simply be to critique the design. If none of the young ones could see the issue, it becomes a teachable moment. If they are high-tech, they could probably do a 3D model that would illustrate the instability of the design under many common situations.

There are 30 HP tractors that can safely lift a bale to trailer height. A 2515 can lift 2200 lbs to full height. It is also 3000 lbs without loaded tires. It would have no problem loading round bales on a trailer.

I'm confused how a sled (skids laying on the ground) is less stable than a wagon. That wagon in your picture is huge. Around here we mostly use smaller wooden bed wagons for squares and 5th wheel trailers for rounds. I'm using rounds, but not taking them on the road (just moving them across the field to the barn). In addition, what's dangerous about having kids design and manufacture a sled? There aren't any bales in the metal shop.

A bale is large. The center of gravity is out there. I assume that a "2515" is TYM 2515. A 2115 will not lift a 5x6 bale. My tractor is 2,700 + 1,000 bs FEL + 800 lbs filled tires and it is not stable with bales in FEL; I'd rather roll them onto the sled or use the forks on the 3 point. I can't load a wagon with the 3 point.