Hay field improvement ideas.

/ Hay field improvement ideas.
Thanks all for responding. I've got some ideas to follow up on over the next while. When would you folks suggest aerating or discing, fall, before the snow or spring when the frost is out the ground?

/ Hay field improvement ideas. #12  
Alternative freeze/thaw cycles help break down plow furrows, so discing is most often done in the Spring.As you will not be plowing, timing your Disc work is less important.

Disc when the ground is slightly moist. If your tractor is leaving ruts, compacting, the ground is too wet.

Time your ground contact work to minimize rain erosion.

Last edited:
   / Hay field improvement ideas. #13  
The soil test will help. As Hay Dude said an aerator would most likely help.

For your thin soil conditions a plug aerator may work better than a Disc Harrow.

A plug aerator will certainly preserve your existing grass.

But an aerator will only minimally remediate ruts and bumps.

And to clarify, a field roller is the opposite/contrary implement to a plug aerator.

Last edited:
   / Hay field improvement ideas. #14  
I had soil tested in 2009.

Results recommended 280 lbs potash/acre and 80 lbs phosphate per acre.

Did you apply 280 lbs potash per acre and 80 lbs phosphate per acre after the 2009 soil test?

Do you know your soil pH after the 2009 test?

In most northern North American fields soil pH is low relative to grass needs, requiring lime to increase soil pH.

If the soil pH is not within the range suitable for your grass fertilizer, even only manure, nutrient utilization will be inefficient by the grass.

While ag conditions vary enormously, the few ag studies I have read indicate returning animal manure to animal feed fields only supplies ~5% of nutrients required for OPTIMAL grass harvest.
(I understand you may only want a improved yield, not an optimal yield for three head.)

Just north of me in Florida a great deal of commercial hay is grown. Growers count on three hay crops per year. Poor years only yield two good crops. Exceptional years yield four crops. These fields are fertilized with commercial nitrogen and commercial potassium based on regular soil tests. Tests are cheap. Supplemental nutrients are expensive. Soil pH is naturally high and natural potash is high. Excellent conditions for profitable hay production.

(Mining potash for fertilizer production is big business in eastern Florida.)

Per my seed store I top dressed a couple of times, most recently 3 years ago, by using a seed spreader on my ATV.

Did you have enough successful seed germination to noticeably thicken your grass stand?

In Florida, unless pH is within correct range and unless ample nitrogen is available to the seed, germination to green stage growth is poor. Firm seed-to-ground contact is also important, which is where a moderate weight field roller or a dedicated Cultipacker is helpful for good germination.

Last edited:
   / Hay field improvement ideas. #15  
Where I live the wrong tools will pull up rocks. The smooth pasture turns rough, horrible sounds when cutting rocks, unless someone picks up the rocks, holes in dirt from rocks removed.

Soil pH from the 2009 test was 7.5. If I remember my science classes, not overly extreme either way. No I didn't apply the suggested fertilizer back then. Even now with increased costs, I have trouble justifying that expense. I was always wondering about the spring seeding and the aforementioned "seed to ground" contact. I'm guessing if I used the old roller without excess weight in the spring, after a top dressing I would get some improved contact over relying on mother nature. In past years I have tried to ensure a rain would occur soon after the seeding. I had some improved thickening in areas, but others, not so much. We don't have a lot of rental or "loan" options for various implements, and it's hard to justify the cost of some equipment for a one time use every x number of years. It's a delicate balance between fixed retirement income, and wise places to spend it on. Although I'm not adverse to it. I've seen a Youtube video on an aerator used in California, and the owner wasn't sure of it's benefit, and it seemed to need a whole lot of weight to get the ground penetration. Think he had about 600 lbs weight plus front counterweights. on his sub-compact. I have a TN75 with ffront end loader, so less of an issue if I went that route. Again thanks all for comments.

/ Hay field improvement ideas. #17  
Soil pH from the 2009 test was 7.5. If I remember my science classes, not overly extreme either way. No I didn't apply the suggested fertilizer back then. Even now with increased costs, I have trouble justifying that expense. I was always wondering about the spring seeding and the aforementioned "seed to ground" contact. I'm guessing if I used the old roller without excess weight in the spring, after a top dressing I would get some improved contact over relying on mother nature. In past years I have tried to ensure a rain would occur soon after the seeding. I had some improved thickening in areas, but others, not so much. We don't have a lot of rental or "loan" options for various implements, and it's hard to justify the cost of some equipment for a one time use every x number of years. It's a delicate balance between fixed retirement income, and wise places to spend it on. Although I'm not adverse to it. I've seen a Youtube video on an aerator used in California, and the owner wasn't sure of it's benefit, and it seemed to need a whole lot of weight to get the ground penetration. Think he had about 600 lbs weight plus front counterweights. on his sub-compact. I have a TN75 with ffront end loader, so less of an issue if I went that route. Again thanks all for comments.

Fertilizer costs will kill you now. I cut way back this year because of it.

I had no noticeable success with seeding an existing stand (late summer or frost seeding). The existing grass just smothered it out. Tried some disking only then seeding, harrowing only then seeding. Plowing and starting fresh worked the best. Most old conventional tillage gear is cheap now, and still has a few acres left in it.

/ Hay field improvement ideas. #18  
No, I did not apply the suggested fertilizer in 2009. Now, with elevated fertilizer costs, I have trouble justifying fertilizer expense.

Your conditions in Ontario are a great deal different from my conditions in Florida.

However, you are not going to get a good stand of grass with the grass experiencing the equivalent of starvation. If you have taken hay off the field for your horses and have not replenished grass nutrients since 2009, your soil has likely declined in fertility considerably since 2009.

You are due for updated soil tests. Be sure to inform the soil test lab what grass you have. Make sure the pH is within the recommended range for your grass or your fertilizer will be inefficiently utilized by the grass. "Soil pH from the 2009 test was 7.5. If I remember my science classes, not overly extreme either way." This is not a reasonable approach.

After a four new soil tests apply some fertilizer in the proportions suggested by the soil tests. Perhaps 20% to 25% of the optimum recommendation. Apply fertilizer only to the most promising parts of your twenty acres. In Florida, fertilizer application to existing productive grass is a far better investment than trying thicken poor areas with additional seed.

Fertilizer is inefficiently used by grass when the soil is too cold. If you fertilize when the ground is too cold, the grass will sit there while some of the fertilizer leaches away during rains. Fertilize in the Spring when the ground is reasonably warm, which will be indicated by your existing grass showing growth.

Last edited:
   / Hay field improvement ideas. #19  
Look for sources of free or cheap “organic” fertilizers. You need to build up your soil levels and organic matter. It’ll attract worms and microorganisms vital for root health.

Check around for poultry houses (poultry litter) or mushroom growers (spent mushroom compost). You can also open your property to leaf composting and spread ground-up leaves.

Thanks for response. Previous owner spread poultry litter before our time (maybe 20 years ago), and it did improve yield dramatically. Back then, they almost paid to have it taken away, but they've gotten smarter. Not so cheap any more. Thanks again.