Hay field improvement ideas.

/ Hay field improvement ideas. #1  

twinotterpilot

Tractor
New Holland TN75
Hello from Eastern Ontario, Canada. I'm looking for some advice on improving my 20 acre hayfield. We've owned the place for about 16 years. I have all my own equipment and have taken about 40-65 round bales off over the years. Per my seed store I have top dressed a couple of times, most recently 3 years ago, by using a seed spread on my ATV and applying very late winter or early spring before the ground gets soft, but temps are on plus side. Also an August application has been suggested.
I spread mostly composted horse manure (done yesterday) typically after a couple of frosts have hit. We are on the Canadian Shield and have shallow soil on top of solid rock, so 6 to 8 inches in some spots. We do not apply fertilizer, as I cannot justify cost for 3 horses, and now on a pension income. As we require the yearly hay, I cannot lose it for a year to till and resow. Just wondering should I be using a chain harrow (which I don't have) every few years, aggressive side or other? What about running a roller (I have an old one, but need some weight) to flatten out the bumps caused by seasonal frost and ruts with all the wheeled traffic over the years. When is the best time to run either the harrow or roller if their use is recommended. Any other ideas? Thanks for reading and responding.

/ Hay field improvement ideas. #2  
Hello from Eastern Ontario, Canada. I'm looking for some advice on improving my 20 acre hayfield. We've owned the place for about 16 years.
First question, first priority ---> Have you had your soil tested by an ag lab? In Florida, such a lab is available in every Florida county and is operated by the University of Florida. I would submit four soil samples for twenty acres. In Florida soil tests are $7.00 each. You are operating blind without a soil test.

What about running a roller (I have an old one, but need some weight) to flatten out the bumps caused by seasonal frost and ruts with all the wheeled traffic over the years?

A box frame Disc Harrow is the implement best suited for for smoothing fields.

A Chain Harrow, even a heavy Chain Harrow, will only flatten/smooth earth across the top 1".

We are on the Canadian Shield and have only 6" - 8" soil on top of solid rock in some spots.

A roller of less than 2,000 pounds weight will not flatten uneven ground and one ton+ compaction MAY squeeze the life out of your existing grass requiring years for restoration.

Last edited:
   / Hay field improvement ideas. #3  

New Holland TN75​

New Holland TN75 tractor photo
1999 - 2003
TN Series
Utility tractor

New Holland TN75 Weight

2WD Cab Operating:5645 lbs
2560 kg
4WD Cab Operating:6460 lbs
2930 kg

/ Hay field improvement ideas. #4  
I’d send soil samples to your local extension and see what you’ve got.
I re-hab 1-2 fields per year and the best start is soil samples, THEN take appropriate steps.

I don’t think a roller is a good idea since it will further along compaction.
Instead, fill the ruts with new soil.
In fact, I’d rent an aerator (I am renting a big aerator now) and plug your soil to open it up and get some air, water & nutrients down there. It’ll break up root-bound clumps of grass and promote new growth.

Last edited:
   / Hay field improvement ideas.
First question, first priority ---> Have you had your soil tested by an ag lab? In Florida, such a lab is available in every Florida county and is operated by the University of Florida. I would submit four soil samples for twenty acres. In Florida soil tests are $7.00 each. You are operating blind without a soil test.

What about running a roller (I have an old one, but need some weight) to flatten out the bumps caused by seasonal frost and ruts with all the wheeled traffic over the years?

A box frame Disc Harrow is the implement best suited for for smoothing fields.

A Chain Harrow, even a heavy Chain Harrow, will only flatten/smooth earth across the top 1".

A roller of less than 2,000 pounds weight will not flatten uneven ground and one ton+ compaction may squeeze the life out of your existing grass.

I had soil tested in 2009. Results recommended 280 lbs potash/acre and 80 lbs phosphate per acre. I was thinking the roller would crush material, so glad that's confirmed. I'm reluctant to get a disc harrow. I guess an option would be to disc half the filed year one, and take hay off other half. Do the reverse in year two? I have a TN 75, so 65 at the PTO.

/ Hay field improvement ideas. #6  
You are due for updated soil tests.

Did you apply 280 lbs potash per acre and 80 lbs phosphate per acre after the 2009 soil test? Do you know your soil pH after the 2009 test? If the soil pH is not within the range suitable for your grass fertilizer utilization will be inefficient by the grass.

A Disc Harrow adjusted flat, for shallow penetration, would stimulate Bahia grass growth (9" roots) in moist Florida sandy-loam soil after one pass. Shallow penetration, however, is not much of a remedy for ruts. Stimulation might not occur under Ontario conditions.

Last edited:
   / Hay field improvement ideas. #7  
What type of grass or hay do you have on that field. If 8” to bedrock I would be very cautious in disturbing what you have since root system is also pretty shallow and topsoil is precious.I agree on soil test to see where are and also fertilizer is ridiculously expensive now so maybe add what you can afford every year.

/ Hay field improvement ideas. #8  
Need current soil test to know what you should be doing.

I typically have to lime and fertilize.

I have best results renewing land with this order.

moldboard plow
lime
disk harrow
fertilize
spring tooth harrow
seed with drill

Edit: I often have to deal with rutted land so I want a level field so I can travel a reasonable speeds with equipment, to me key thing is to level with plow and harrows before seeding. Turns under old stuff to rot and gives the new seed a chance. You can plow shallow, I normally do 6" deep.

Attachments

• IMG_4415.JPG
    IMG_4415.JPG
    487.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
   / Hay field improvement ideas. #9  
Twin,

The soil test will help. As Hay Dude said an aerator would most likely help if you can rent one. If you can not rent an aerator you could substitute a disk with the cutters set to go straight. Just enough to open the soil. Do it in one pass to open the soil You do not want turn the soil and start over but stimulate the grass that you have. You will still be able to take hay off of it.

/ Hay field improvement ideas. #10  
Just did 75 tons of lime today.

1665624366020.jpeg