Hay Farmers getting out of farming

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #121  
Just hauled in fifty rolls of hay that I bought from a local producer. Plan on buying more next week while I can get it and I'm on his list for hay this summer. I've produced a lot of hay here the last forty years but it's going to be cheaper to buy what I need when I consider my time and effort. When Dad was here we worked together on cutting, raking and baling but since he passed away in '99 I've been doing it all myself. I'll probably sell my equipment this spring.
Why? What are you farming? Are you going to buy all the hay you need and not produce any on your land?

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #122  
I'd guess a lot of kids would see their parents, particularly their father, in a constant state of stress and hard physical labor as being a turn-off to any career, not just farming.

Talking to my wife's friend's husband (the one with the 10,000 acres and 8000 hogs and fireman for 30 years) many times over the past few years, he often laments not spending more time with his wife and children and wonders if it was worth it. Not one of his children have anything to do with farming. They all have successful careers in other industries, and I'd hardly call them lazy.
Sounds like you don't have anything to do with farming either.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #123  
Sree, sometimes the capital costs, maintenance, expendable, etc ,etc (let alone the labor & physical stress on your body) just don't add up when producing your own hay.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #124  
Stolen from the groan thread, it's true.

A man owned a small ranch near Great Falls, Montana. The Montana Labor Department got a tip that he was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an investigator out to interview him.
"I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them," demanded the investigator.
"Well," replied the rancher, "there's my ranch hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $1200 a week plus free room and board."
"The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $1000 per week plus free room and board."
"Then there's the half-wit. He works about 18 hours every day, with no days off, and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week and pays his own room and board."
"But, I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night, and he also sleeps with my wife occasionally."
"That's the guy I want to talk to... the half-wit," says the investigator.
"You're talking to him," replied the rancher.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #125  
Sree, sometimes the capital costs, maintenance, expendable, etc ,etc (let alone the labor & physical stress on your body) just don't add up when producing your own hay.
You mean it's just too hard and not worthwhile to do it. I wonder why there are even farmers. It's a tough life. What's your story? How come you ended up as a farmer?

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #126  
Farming and ranching will always attract those that did not go to college or a trade school.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #127  
Exactly. I can run a few more head of cows by opening up my hay meadow for grazing. My equipment is old and I'm not going to invest money in replacing it. Also not going to have to buy fertilizer to make hay.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #128  
Farming and ranching will always attract those that did not go to college or a trade school.
Sounds like you are saying that as slight to farmers. If I'm wrong, I apologize. But please also realize that many farmers (especially those from the younger generations) now have either a BS or MS in agriculture.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #129  
Why is that? The cities are littered with college grads living in the streets. So, a homeless life attracts those went to college?

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #130  
You mean it's just too hard and not worthwhile to do it. I wonder why there are even farmers. It's a tough life. What's your story? How come you ended up as a farmer?
Let's see, I guess I'm just one of those dumb ones. Grand parents were farmers, parents weren't, but uncle was. I went my own way for awhile went to school for a few years - please don't hold this against me 'cause I only have a MD with 2 surgical fellowships, an MS in Computer engineering and a DPsycSc.