Have you ever shipped a vehicle across the country?

/ Have you ever shipped a vehicle across the country?
20 years ago, I did the same thing. Twice.

But that was 20 years ago.

/ Have you ever shipped a vehicle across the country? #22  
20 years ago we bought a truck out of state, 1000 miles away. Rented a car for the ride out and drove the truck back with temp plates. We wrapped a 3 day vacation around the trip with the kids. Shipping it would have been cheaper, but the 3 day road trip was much more fun.
Road TRIP! :cool: Can be fun. Taking an unknown car on a road trip, maybe not.

The three finalists seem to be Mercury, UFT and Elite. All of their quotes are within $100 of each other. All have communicated via phone or messaging and say that can pick it up this week. All say an initial depost when it's picked up and final payment on delivery. All say they do full inspections at both ends.

I want to try to get this booked in the morning, so if there are any other comments ....

/ Have you ever shipped a vehicle across the country? #24  
Google Mercury transport reviews. It's a crap shoot but you may read something to sway you one way or the other... do it for all 3.
Mercury has been in the car transport game for a long time. Experience counts. GL

Duck beats Goo.

UFT's reviews are pretty good, if you can believe them. Mercury's rep has been a bit slow to respond to questions, but it's the weekend.

/ Have you ever shipped a vehicle across the country? #26  
Can you fly one way and then drive the Tahoe home?

/ Have you ever shipped a vehicle across the country? #27  
If Oosik looked at for free he should drive it to your door for free. I don’t really like to drive that much anymore but I’d probably still fly out and drive it back.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Have you ever shipped a vehicle across the country? #28  
MY only experience was I wanted to get an idea of what it cost to ship a motorcycle across the country. I contacted someone I found on line and was immediately contacted, over and over and over again by numerous companies wanting to give me quotes for not only shipping my motorcycle, shipping all of my belongings across the country. I quickly got quite experienced at blocking phone numbers on my phone.

/ Have you ever shipped a vehicle across the country? #29  
Dodge man - I would have gladly driven the Tahoe to Diggin it's house. Only one problem - I'm very, VERY certain my hemorrhoids wouldn't enjoy the trip so much. Anything much beyond a couple days and the joy of the trip has almost completely vanished.

And to think - when we lived in Alaska - we all enjoyed the drive home to see our parents. 2500 miles - four or five day drive. And that was was when the ALCAN was still 100% gravel.

/ Have you ever shipped a vehicle across the country? #30  
Taking an unknown car on a road trip, maybe not.

People think I'm nuts for taking my truck and trailer to pick up a "new to me" used vehicle purchased locally. Whether it's 5 miles or 50 miles away. There's only so much inspection I can do to a vehicle while it's sitting in someone's driveway or dealer lot, and I've had a couple times where schitt happened on the drive home, and my purchase price just got jacked up a couple hundred dollars more after paying for a tow truck. In my case, diesel for my pickup is a lot cheaper than paying for a tow truck.

Given what future, planned, shipping costs to get a vehicle across the country these days, I'd imagine an unplanned tow over long distances would be pretty astronomical and probably would have to deal with several different towing companies as I doubt any of them are going to go much over a couple hundred miles one way. Might even approach the point of just saying "heck with it", leave the vehicle on the side of the road, and taking a train home...