Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person?

/ Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person? #1  
Tractor
I do not have a tractor yet.
Have you ever bought a tractor from a site like tractorhouse or some other site without seeing it in person? I've seen good deals and I'm willing to travel to pick it up, but shouldn't I drive it first? Not like id know if it was a bad unit anyway but still. Is it pretty common to buy like that or just keep waiting for a local one and that'll be a good deal?

/ Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person? #2  
ah.... an opinion question.... you will get lots.

For a tractor, sight unseen, never!! I would worry that since repairs are so expensive people may "dump" a dud instead of fixing.

Could you get a gem? absolutely.
Could you get a dud? absolutely.
If it was a dud could you fix it yourself cheaply / just for parts? TBD.

Used, sight unseen from a site like tractor house no way.
From a reputable dealer who goes through it and passes an opinion, sure.

/ Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person? #3  
I bought my LS at an estate auction in Colorado from FL, my ZT from a TX auction while in FL & my min-ex from an Atlanta auction. Watched videos of them in operation, asked questions of the sellers & had the VIN numbers & hour readings beforehand to check when I got there, & in the case of the LS verified that they would transfer the warranty. so ... yeah. Caveat ... I'm not afraid to work on my own equipment & have tools to do so. I figure that what a saved (over 50% at the time) more than made up for the risks. Today, the savings wouldn't be nearly as much, so I'd be a lot more "judicious" before bidding.

/ Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person? #4  
No

but I did buy a vintage, rare garden tractor off of Marketplace, from another province. I only saw 2 photos, knew that I wanted it running or not (sentimental reasons, though no connection to that unit). Anyways, the only way that it worked out was that a recently-and-never-met-in-person FB friend living in that area, agreed to pick it up within a few days. So I coordinated with the seller, and my FB friend, then did an e-transfer.
It was picked up from my FB friend's place, by my tenant 5 months later ... I was at arms length by circumstances, throughout that transaction.
The thing is a BEAST, and it runs :)

I would not recommend that process - I like to see what I buy, eyes on, hands on. Way too easy to be a bogus ad with incorrect details.

Attachments

• BingImages_559173_jacobsen+chief.jpg
    BingImages_559173_jacobsen+chief.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 74
   / Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person? #5  
Yes, I have. About 5 times. Usually it comes with an “uh-oh” surprise. I usually call a dealer local to the sellers area and ask them to go assess it. Costs a few hundred bucks, but it could be wor th it.

/ Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person? #6  
No

but I did buy a vintage, rare garden tractor off of Marketplace, from another province. I only saw 2 photos, knew that I wanted it running or not (sentimental reasons, though no connection to that unit). Anyways, the only way that it worked out was that a recently-and-never-met-in-person FB friend living in that area, agreed to pick it up within a few days. So I coordinated with the seller, and my FB friend, then did an e-transfer.
It was picked up from my FB friend's place, by my tenant 5 months later ... I was at arms length by circumstances, throughout that transaction.
The thing is a BEAST, and it runs :)

I would not recommend that process - I like to see what I buy, eyes on, hands on. Way too easy to be a bogus ad with incorrect details.
I grew up with that lawn tractor. Still get a chill when I think about snow-blowing our driveway on it.

/ Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person? #7  
Yes, I have. About 5 times. Usually it comes with an “uh-oh” surprise. I usually call a dealer local to the sellers area and ask them to go assess it. Costs a few hundred bucks, but it could be wor th it.
That’s a great idea… well worth the cost.(y)

/ Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person? #8  
I’ve learned over time there are no good deals at an auction sight unseen. It’s a good deal, because of what you don’t know.

/ Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person? #9  
I have a good friend who is an ag teacher and personally involved in production also who told me once

“never be too proud of buying at an auction - you paid more than everyone else thought it was worth!”

/ Have you ever bought a tractor from a listing in another state, not in person? #10  
Bought a used 3 year old round baler from a independent ag dealer in southern Missouri, trucker who was a customer of mine picked it up next time he was empty. It was everything dealer said it was when it arrived. When we needed a larger cab tractor he had one in our price range. Made a deal over the phone and picked it up with trailer. Turns out alternator regulator was stuck on and boiled the battery out when haying a few weeks later. Dealer split the parts cost and I did the labor. Very fair for a long distance deal on a used tractor I thought.