Has haggling died?

/ Has haggling died? #1  

LittleBill21

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL, White
in the past couple years, im noticing a trend with used stuff, where the seller refuses to budge even a dollar, I bought a van over 21k used, that the sales guy even said they couldn't move for 2 years, yet only after showing up and walking out door, got 200 dollars off.

I am now actively trying to buy a tractor. this is now the 3rd tractor where the seller, doesn't even counter, its simply a NO. 14,250 on a 15k tractor was my offer.

I don't know if this is a new thing, but i have always in the past at least saw some attempt at haggling. Am i a relic?

/ Has haggling died? #2  
If the asking price is reasonable, sellers do not need to haggle. If you don't buy it , someone else will. Does not hurt to haggle to try to reduce the price a little, everyone likes a bargain. But I would not get offended get offended and walk away if the asking price is reasonable if I needed the machine.

/ Has haggling died?
not offended just trying to understand if this is now the new normal. i always added buffer when i sold stuff because people would try to cut it down a bit and i would end up where i wanted to anyway.

/ Has haggling died? #4  
No dice on the tractor I always haggle on cars, truck, tractors..... Maybe he owes more on it. I tried to buy a motorcycle last year down the rode from me I made a offer and he said no my wife told me yesterday the bike is out front again for sale ..........

/ Has haggling died? #5  
What tractor are you looking Little Bill, model, hours , etc...

Edit:

Was looking at other threads, and found came across yours regarding an EMax.
Haggling is in order based on the asking price of that machine.

Last edited:
   / Has haggling died? #6  
Negotiations is never haggling.
If I offer more for your widget than the first guy, is that haggling?
That's just life in the retail marketplace.

/ Has haggling died?
What tractor are you looking Little Bill, model, hours , etc...

Edit:

Was looking at other threads, and found came across yours regarding an EMax.
Haggling is in order based on the asking price of that machine.

my budget was initially 12k, learned that wasn't going to cut it over all. i kind of have a hard limit of 15k with transportation cost. trying to stay newer then 14, wanted a warranty, not sure i care anymore. was initially looking at the emax22, now learning i can potentially get into a max24 or max26 for roughly the same money. and i want TLB and a mower if i can get it.

initially wanted r4 tires, now learning turf (which are rarer) may be better in my situation. i plan more backhoe and mowing then loader work.

/ Has haggling died?
Negotiations is never haggling.
If I offer more for your widget than the first guy, is that haggling?
That's just life in the retail marketplace.

it just seems NO one is even remotely interested in doing it. that being said the 2 prior tractors i bidded on it, did sell, so maybe their number are good. but when i can get a new emax22 tlb for 18,675 out the door. im struggling with not buying new. but like i said i want to be at 15.

/ Has haggling died? #10  
I don't enjoy haggling when I sell something and I don't like lowball offers (I don't respond). I set what I think is a reasonable price and if no one buys it in a week or two, I lower the price by 5 or 10%. I keep doing this until it sells.