Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #15,492  
Anyone notice the Quinn non-deep well sockets are extremely shallow? Some places, you have a bit of bolt protrusion, but not enough space for a deep well, and the Quinn shallow is too shallow. Luckily had a misc odd ball Husky, non-deep well, that was in that just long enough, but not too long size.

Guess what I'm saying, they are as long as a normal Husky/Craftsman, but they don't have the hex or 12 point as deep into the socket, letting the bolt end bottom out before good socket-nut engagement.

Probably not an issue 90% of the time, but its dang annoying when that 10% of the time, you have to hunt for something else.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #15,493  
Don't have them. The Blitzburg ones are just fine and what I use, just no impact or they will split.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #15,494  
Well, yesterday I unboxed the Bauer 20 volt right angle drill and used it to drill some holes and drive some screws in the holes in a tight spot. I'm impressed with it actually. Has a nice metal hand tight chuck on it, 2 speeds and even an LED that illuminates when you squeeze the flat trigger. Not bad for 59 bucks.

Today I unboxed the Bauer pole saw, also nice. Assembly was easy, just put the chain on the bar and put the bar on the saw head. Both the supplied chain and the roller nose greaseable bar are Oregon and the pole sections (they telescope) appear to be made of either structural fiber or fiberglass and adjusting the chain tension is 100% conventional with the adjustment slotted screw on the left side of the bar. The big knob on the cover side just secures everything. Slapped on a fully charged Bauer 20 volt 5AH battery and was going to give it a test run but it started to rain, so maybe tomorrow, Was on sale with my ITC membership (which I use the heck out of, for me, well worth the 25 bucks a year...was 60 bucks, 10 bucks off. Got a pile of limbs I need to cut off.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #15,495  
I really like right angle drills remember when I bought my first cheap corded one it was one of those tools I wondered how I did stuff with out it, for me anyway. I can say if I wasn't so invested in DeWalt cordless tools I'd probably give hf (Bauer) a try due to yours and a few others reviews on them.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #15,496  
This^

Farmers have been killing themselves since the begining of time doing the best they can with what they got…until it doesn’t work.
But it don't hurt so bad if it's a relatively cheap tool.... I look at the Bauer stuff as throwaway not that I've had any failures because I have not. They aren't constant use shop tools but for the ocassional user (me) they work fine.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #15,497  
Sunday I was interested in buying a new bigger set of ratcheting combination wrenches, the first place I stopped was Harbor Frieght , luckily it was just a couple minutes before 6 pm and they close at 6 on Sunday and there were a couple employees coming out the door saying they close at 6 on Sunday so I went to Menards instead and they are open until 8pm.
Well turns out Menards sells a 20 piece set of metric and SAE Ratcheting combination wrenches for $90 with the same lifetime warranty, that’s less than half price of what Harbor Frieght wants so I bought it, I am very happy Harbor Frieght closed early that day, saved me a lot of money !

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #15,498  
I don't much care for Menards hand tools as a rule, or their toolboxes either. We shop an Menards quite often, but not for tools. At least they offer the 11 percent off on everything, that offsets the sales tax at least but my rub is, the 100% off vouchers are only good for Menards merchandise. Don't need any open end or box end wrenches anyway, have drawers full of Blue Point and SK's.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #15,499  
Are the Menards brand ratcheting wrenches reversible with the flip of a toggle and slightly offset or you have to flip them over? Still remember when these ratcheting wrenches first came out or became more prevalent anyway. I really like and appreciate them, mitigating vulgar vocabulary out of my mouth for almost 20 yrs now lol.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #15,500  
I don't much care for Menards hand tools as a rule, or their toolboxes either. We shop an Menards quite often, but not for tools. At least they offer the 11 percent off on everything, that offsets the sales tax at least but my rub is, the 100% off vouchers are only good for Menards merchandise. Don't need any open end or box end wrenches anyway, have drawers full of Blue Point and SK's.
I’m glad you already own plenty of wrenches, I believe most of the wrenches sold at Menards are made by the same outfit that makes the Harbor Frieght tools.
The only real reason I posted about this particular kit was because $90 seems like an almost unbelievable price for the 20 piece kit.

Last edited: