Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,441  
My battery operated fuel pump bit the dust an hour ago. Guess I'll have to go buy a new one for 11 bucks. This one lasted 3 years. Not bad for 11 bucks.

Mine's still going strong. Long as the Duracell D-size batteries keep going. 😆

Lesson also learned, do not keep batteries in the unit, only when using them. Batteries will leak. Hard to find rechargeable D-size at a great price.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,442  
Mine's still going strong. Long as the Duracell D-size batteries keep going. 😆
Don't post that on the other forum we are on, someone will want it....lol I suggested to HF that they need to convert it to a Li-Ion batter pack that interchanges with the Bauer stuff. They are hard on batteries if you use them a lot. the motor gave up on my first one so I bought 2 this time. still the same price.. Now I have a spare. Got almost 3 years out of the first one and that is a lot if diesel fuel pumped (in the field). My open station M9 has a high fill cap behind the seat and it's hard to fill so I use the battery pump.

checked out the V Belt store you suggested. be getting my belts there from here on out, thanks.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,443  
Note that I bought the Harbor Freight 3/8" Earthquake ratchet. I did a couple small jobs (intake manifold gaskets, installed some accessories, but infrequently used over a 2 year period. Went to use it last week and ripped the head gear smooth. Junk. Can't buy a head insert like you would expect. Had no choice but toss it and go buy a Milwaukee fuel 3/8" ratchet. I doubt a Milwaukee will break. It's the gold standard behind the stupid $500 Snap-On.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,444  
I have an air ratchet. I really prefer air tools so long as I'm near the shop and the air line.

Brings me another really good bargain from HF..

I bought one of their driveway monitors 3 years ago and other than new batteries every 6 months (not HF batteries either) it works flawlessly. One sensor in the drive and one sensor out by the barn on the round about drive. I always know when someone is in the drive. Bunker Hill, 10 bucks (batteries not included)... good buy in my opinion.

keep forgetting to mention it...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,445  
Was just out in the shop working on a metal project and using my Chief 4.5" angle grinder to dress some welds. I have to say, it's amazingly quiet, much quieter than any electric angle grinder I've ever used and well balanced and very smooth too but what really got my interest was, because I like to look 'under the covers on power tools' was the grease ports in the gear head. There is one in the front above the spindle lock, a removeable screw that accesses the gear train that you can apply grease in and another on the top of the polished aluminum housing that is a needle grease port, just like my high buck IR impact guns have so greasing the gear train is easy (even though there is no mention of it in the included instructions).

This tool is built to last a long time. I'm impressed.

Usually on corded angle grinders, first thing I do is take the head apart and replace the 'smooze' grease that is usually inside with quality synthetic grease, which helps them but I tend to find the smoke in the motors anyway, especially the cheap (and noisy) HF corded grinders. What is inside the cheap HF and other cheapo grinders don't even look like grease, looks like fish guts and everyone is noisy and everyone gets hot pretty quick. I don't baby any of them, I run them hard or until I find the smoke and I'm good at that.

Peering in the Chief, looks to me like it's filled with quality lubricant too. I'm impressed, but especially impressed with how quiet it runs. No geartrain noise at all, just the air exhaust and even that isn't bad. it's well worth 100 bucks.

First time I used it hard.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,446  
I bought the
BAUER Corded 4-1/2 in. 8 Amp Paddle Switch Angle Grinder with Tool-Free Guard and have been pretty happy with it.
Used to cut some metal and flap disks and shaping disk on wood.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,447  

I bought one of their driveway monitors 3 years ago and other than new batteries every 6 months (not HF batteries either) it works flawlessly. One sensor in the drive and one sensor out by the barn on the round about drive. I always know when someone is in the drive. Bunker Hill, 10 bucks (batteries not included)... good buy in my opinion.
I bought one and it quit operating within a few months. Luck of the draw, I guess.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,448  
I bought one and it quit operating within a few months. Luck of the draw, I guess.
Quality control or lack there of...lol I believe all the cheaper stuff at HF is lacking any quality control actually.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,449  
I keep forgetting to post up my experiences with my Pacific Hydrostar 3200 psi Pressure Washer I bought about 8 years ago. I believe the Pacific Hydrostar brand name has been dropped but HF still offers the pressure washer under another HF coined name..

Anyway, bought it 'open box' for 250 bucks 8 years ago and it's been flawless and I use it a lot. I wash down all my farm equipment and my vehicles summer, fall and winter.

I keep it in the heated shop in the winter so it don't freeze (a frozen pressure washer pump renders it junk as it cracks the ceramic pistons inside, always drain one if stored in an unheated space and add pump saver or RV anti-freeze before storing.

So on with the review.. Has a Predator 6.5 engine, don't have a clue how many hours on the engine but still has the original spark plug and I do change the oil and clean the foam air filter every fall. The radial triplex pump has also been flawless and the pump oil gets changed when I service the motor (30 weight non detergent motor oil).

The only negative is the hose, it was a cheap plastic covered hose that died pretty quick so I replaced it with a real pressure washer hose (wire braid, neoprene covered with quick detach ends from Amazon fir 55 bucks, that issues solved.

The wand has been trouble free though I've replaced all the spray tips (they have them at Menards for 10 bucks for an entire assortment).

I also purchased a foam cannon from Amazon that fits on the end of the wand's quick disconnect, works well for dispensing car wash and ZEP Purple degreaser.

Bought a spare pump from Northern Hydraulics because I figured the supplied pump would puke pretty quick but 8 years later, still going strong as is the engine and the whole thing is mounted on a nice cart with real wheels that have air in them...

I totally recommend the pressure washer. heck of a bargain and long lasting and trouble free.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,450  
I just bought the EU2000 Predator inverter generator....kudos to 5030 for talking up the Predator engines...I decided to give it a try. I plan to use it for my border line tree trimming // hedge trimming. Ran it for several hours today and am pleased as punch so far!! Cost me $540.00 but is still way cheaper than other name brands.

Extremely quiet, sips fuel, powers up my corded hedge trimmer and Portland electric chainsaw; starts easily, and is easy to move along by hand. It's about 47lbs - so not real light but is hand transportable.

To be safe I also bought the 1 year extended warranty but am hoping I don't ever need it.

I didn't feel so safe with the Portland chainsaw so I got the 2 year warranty on that item. I know some think those extended warranties are useless but it just made me feel better knowing I can just bring it back for an exchange if it goes bad before time runs out. Hopefully I'll not need it and just mentally kick myself for spending extra $ but...if it shows the smoke - it just goes back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the pep words about Predator engines 5030, that pushed me to go ahead and get one.