Hand Push Lawn Mower

/ Hand Push Lawn Mower #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Does anyone use a hand push lawn mower for small areas & trim?

I'm curious to know what make or model is the very best one. Something small enough for a smallish woman to feel confident operating it.

Price not so much a consideration as it is mostly for trim on slopes and no matter what they cost, I'd think that it would be less than motorized.
thanks,
rScotty

/ Hand Push Lawn Mower #2  
I would hate to be tasked with the job of cutting on a grade with a manual mower.

/ Hand Push Lawn Mower #3  
Hand push is for short grass with no hard stems. Parents had one
Toro with personal pace. It痴 speed is based on how hard you push bar. Mine is used in tight areas and hill too steep for zero turn

/ Hand Push Lawn Mower #4  
Hand push is for short grass with no hard stems. Parents had one
Toro with personal pace. It痴 speed is based on how hard you push bar. Mine is used in tight areas and hill too steep for zero turn

I think the OP is looking for NON motorized.

The Toro Personal Pace is great though. I have one.

Hand push will work fine BUT the bedknife to reel adjustment is critical for cut as well as the sharpness of the reels.

/ Hand Push Lawn Mower #6  
FWIW...Reel type manual push mowers are one of the most common yard tools I see on Craig's List...most are in new condition...i.e., "only used a few times"...!

/ Hand Push Lawn Mower #7  
I have a John Deere JS48 self propelled. My dealer gave it to me at their cost because I don't want to drive my tractor on my septic bed. Has what they call "Mowmentum" where the harder you push the handle the faster it goes.

It's a Snapper painted green with a 6.5 B&S engine with electric start.

Has been a good mower. Only issue I have is the gas cap doesn't seal very good. Got a new cap under warranty and it still gets dirt in the tank. So I just installed an inline fuel filter in the gas line.

Attachments

• 1fvwer (Large).JPG
    1fvwer (Large).JPG
    620.6 KB · Views: 261
   / Hand Push Lawn Mower #8  
I will never forget as kids. You saw one of those push type mowers and just had to "play" with it. The fun ended in about a foot!

I am just itching to mention the flying mower I got at Auction yesterday. A flymo with (apparently) the desireabla Isuzu 2 stroke Motor. Many scrapers love them for doing hillsides and you can even mow your pond!

But this is about non motorized!

/ Hand Push Lawn Mower #9  
I used a reel type push mower for years on small lawns in California then in New Jersey. It was branded as Scotts - the fertilizer people. It was a joy to use but pretty heavy - might be too much for a smallish woman on sloped ground.

We finally gave up on it in NJ because we were working long hours and the frequent summer rains made it difficult to mow before the grass got too tall for to mow with a push mower, especially when it was wet.

/ Hand Push Lawn Mower
Yes, in the original post I guess I should have mentioned that what I'm looking for is info on the non-motorized reel type hand push mowers of yesteryear. But I want to get a good one.... and not too large. I remember some as being difficult to push, and others worked very nicely. Our climate here is dry - sort of arid, in fact - and the grass is sparse.

Anyway, I want to give the old style mower a try.
rScotty