Hammer drill

/ Hammer drill #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
I bought a hammer drill on marketplace to assist with some masonry drilling. I'm not sure about the difference in chucks though.

The hammer drill bits i saw at HD have a smooth shank with a slot on each side, but the drill I bought has what looks like a normal chuck. Will it accept this?

Please educate me.

ONBTAhK.jpg

/ Hammer drill #2  
SDS denotes a 'Spline Drive Shank' and your drill has a normal 'Jacobs style chuck' You can probably buy a spline drive chuck but a spline drive shank won't fit a normal chuck far as I know. My Bosch has a SDS chuck on it.

SDS bits are made that way for positive rotation during the hammering procedure. The splines engage the chuck for positive rotation.

/ Hammer drill #3  
It will work if your drill chuck opens enough just keep checking it to make sure it stays tight.

/ Hammer drill
If I use a regular masonry bit that goes in a jacobs style chuck, will the hammer function cause excessive wear on the chuck/bit?

/ Hammer drill #5  
No. Not if it's a quality bit with securely cemented carbide. I actually use both SDS and smooth shank style drills, though I prefer an SDS bit. Some of my large diameter coring bits are smooth shank.

/ Hammer drill #6  
I just use smooth shank bits in both my regular (non-SDS) hammer drills.
I happen to like the Bosch bits, but there are plenty of good ones.

I have a Milwaukee corded like yours and an M18 battery.
For 1/2 inch the corded is better.

I like having the side handle for larger bits on the corded. Be careful as hammer can bind and try to twist your wrist.

Looks like yours has the sleeve to mount the side handle, can buy one if you start going bigger than 1/2" or use in really hard cement or cement with rebar.

Mine on cinder block is easy even without the handle up to 1/2"

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Hammer drill #7  
I've cut the SDS part of a bit off to allow use with a smooth chuck. It never worked quite as well as a Bosch SDS.

If you're shaping the bits, you can also grind flats onto them for better grip.

/ Hammer drill #8  
If I use a regular masonry bit that goes in a jacobs style chuck, will the hammer function cause excessive wear on the chuck/bit?
If you just use cheap masonry bits, they will just snap the ears off the tip, likely in the first hole you drill.

I have both a cordless Dewalt "hammer" drill, and a dedicated Bosch SDS hammer drill. No comparison at all. The Dewalt is like a toy drill that makes the "hammer sound" and does nothing. The Bosch will just flat drill holes, no muss, no fuss. I prefer the Bosch drill and use their branded SDS bits because they drill holes like butter and the ears stay on the bits.

/ Hammer drill #9  
Every DIY'er will need a rotary hammer sometime in his life. SDS Plus should get most jobs done. The increased power and size of bits of SDS Max is nice, but a bit too high for me.

The best thing about a rotary hammer is no pushing. Just let the weight of the drill motor do the work. All you have to do is guide it.

/ Hammer drill #10  
I just use smooth shank bits in both my regular (non-SDS) hammer drills.
I happen to like the Bosch bits, but there are plenty of good ones.

I have a Milwaukee corded like yours and an M18 battery.
For 1/2 inch the corded is better.

I like having the side handle for larger bits on the corded. Be careful as hammer can bind and try to twist your wrist.

Looks like yours has the sleeve to mount the side handle, can buy one if you start going bigger than 1/2" or use in really hard cement or cement with rebar.

Mine on cinder block is easy even without the handle up to 1/2"
@fatjay don't get me wrong, I love Milwaukee tools, but I'm not sure that this is the best tool for the job.

If you want to drill more than a hole or three, I would strongly urge you to get a drill that is either SDS-Plus or SDS-MAX.

I have a couple of drills like your Milwaukee, and I agree @Slowpoke Slim and @bigtiller that there is really no comparison. I feel like my little "hammer" drill is a three year old kid going "Vroom! Vroom!", rather than getting the job done. Using the SDS drills feels like drilling wood with a regular drill; the pile of sand/dust just flies up out of the hole. As an added bonus, I find that the SDS drills don't wear out the carbide tips anywhere near as fast as the non-SDS drills.

The bigger drills have an actual hammer that is plunging in and out. The Milwaukee 5376-20 just has a ridged plate that a second plate rotates on. (4h and 11a in the service manual below) Yes it is a "hammer" motion, but the force is lacking...
https://documents.milwaukeetool.com/54-24-3660.pdf

All the best,

Peter